Thanks GTO and others for advice...finished and framed painting of Charlotte

Hi from England! Here's an iPad shot of my painting of Charlotte playing the part of Violet in a two-character play in London with my son Jonathan (separate painting). During the painting process I got some fantastic advice on here which I've executed and ended-up, I think, with a better painting as a result. Charlotte actually cried when she saw it - thankfully happy tears - because it reminded her of a successful production! I'm a late - very late - comer to oil painting but it's enhanced my retirement a hundred fold. I recommend it!  
Gary_HeathMichaelDdencalGTOtassieguyA_Time_To_PaintArtGalBuckyJasonWJohn1966AbstractionallforChrist

Comments

• Great work, you must be rightly proud @Coach_T01
    Coach_T01
  • thanks Michael, yeah I am proud (until the curse arrives)! Just realised that the colour is pretty washed-out in the photo compared with the original but it gives an idea at least. 
    GTO
  • Superb.  I like the thin black frame too.  It lets the painting speak for itself. 
  • Guys/Gals - your comments are so encouraging. Thank you. GTO - I did agonise over the choice of frame, there are just so many available but I settled on the 'distressed' look simple one and it seems to work.  
  • Your painting turned out wonderful and the frame is perfect for it.
  • thank you oilpainter1950. i went to the portrait gallery here in london recently and noticed that quite a few works that were done more recently seemed to have less ornate ones than, say, the old masters. i liked the simplicity (see GTO's comment above).  :)
  • This is beautiful! I especially love how you’ve handled the coat. Stunning 
    allforChrist
  • You handled this very well and yes, often simple frames are better.
    Keep up the great work.
  • Wow! I just picked up these comments which to put it mildly are really, really encouraging. =) Thank you all. I've got to let the painting go next weekend  :/  which as someone fairly new (five years) to oil painting and, knowing the angst and occasional rush that goes into making pictures, is something of a wrench. Does anyone else struggle with this?! Each of the five previous portraits I've completed, varnished and framed have gone because the subjects are friends or family. I seem to need a purpose/connection to paint a particular subject. Maybe I should google some interesting faces as a technical challenge - and keep the finished pieces!!! But, thank you again, we all need some positive reinforcement right?   
    allforChrist
  • Coach_T01 said:
    Wow! I just picked up these comments which to put it mildly are really, really encouraging. =) Thank you all. I've got to let the painting go next weekend  :/  which as someone fairly new (five years) to oil painting and, knowing the angst and occasional rush that goes into making pictures, is something of a wrench. Does anyone else struggle with this?! Each of the five previous portraits I've completed, varnished and framed have gone because the subjects are friends or family. I seem to need a purpose/connection to paint a particular subject. Maybe I should google some interesting faces as a technical challenge - and keep the finished pieces!!! But, thank you again, we all need some positive reinforcement right?   
    Yes, I have difficulty sending paintings away to a new home.     I have some I did years ago to sell and 14 years later they still hang on my walls in one room.    
    I also think about ones I did long ago and would like to see them again, to see how I would critique them now.
    I recently had a commission back for varnishing and if was surprisingly comforting to have it around again if only for a short time.
    I wonder if it is because I don't fully understand the development of a painting, and although I work hard at them, my paintings seem like an accident when they emerge.   Is it because the process of painting fascinates me and so the end result is something I like to revisit to reassure myself it actually happened?
    allforChrist
  • It turned out great, glad she liked it! Stage lighting must have been an interesting challenge to paint.
  • Absolutely toujours, I feel your pain! All of why you say it's hard to let paintings go I recognise and think applies to me. At least I've kept photocopies of mine...not quite the same thing though! And thank you NotACat - I remember thinking not to 'overdo' the lighting effects in her hair etc. This is covered in one or more of Mark Carder's lessons where he stresses the importance of values and to avoid the temptation of bumping up highlights to the point they're unrealistic. So tempting to do though! I actually found the shadow values hard to get right (it was easy to make them too dark and the wrong colours) and had to keep adjusting them. Thank you all for your feedback.  =)  
  • This is a fantastic painting, @Coach_T01!!!
    By the way, what basketball teams did you coach??
  • Thank you 'allforChrist' for you kind comment. Re: coaching - I had a 50+ year pro career. I Head Coached pro and semi-pro Club sides, also GB National teams in Europe and had an eight year spell coaching the British Paralympic squad. I retired and took up oil painting at 70 - five years ago!  =)