More pears , trying something new

AnnieAnnie -
edited September 22 in Post Your Paintings
I’ve tried to start with darks , working on cast shadows , changed up my background ( with burnt sienna and French  ultramarine and burnt umber / French ultramarine ) to try and get some light in there . It is only a first layer .
This is a new way to paint for me. Less detail, too.

I notice I should probably go darker/lighter  still ?
What do you think ? 
Its oil on canvas paper 
Richard_PanweshaA_Time_To_PaintAllieMichaelD

Comments

• I think this is excellent as it is!
    Annie
  • I suggest trying this on a panel.  Any smooth panel surface will do, could be ACM or board.  
    You’ve already got a handle on values well enough to explore color, edges and things like highlights, cast shadows, occluded shadows etc.  
    Annie
  • GTO said:
    I suggest trying this on a panel.  Any smooth panel surface will do, could be ACM or board.  
    You’ve already got a handle on values well enough to explore color, edges and things like highlights, cast shadows, occluded shadows etc.  
    Thank you !
    I have just ordered a few. So far I feel I have been mostly practicing and didn’t want to waste panels or canvas . 
  • Richard_P said:
    I think this is excellent as it is!
    😳
    I see so many things I’d want to do better but I’m not unhappy with it so far .
    Thank you very much . Learning every day ..
  • Would an oil paper without the canvas like texture work well for practicing?
  • @Richard_P
    I am using Canson canvas paper . But I ordered some panels to see how it’s different . 
    Is there a particular brand / kind you’d recommend , by any chance ? 
  • Your cast shadows look so good!!  That's something I've never done right.
  • @allforChrist

Really ?! I was afraid  they look splotchy and too light still . 
    Thank you so much .
    I just went for it . Felt too dark but turns out it isn’t .  Being too careful .

allforChrist
  • I'm coming to the conclusion that if you can paint pears you can paint the most interesting people who have less than perfect shapes. The wobbly pears are so beautifully crafted.
    I love the way you've used the transition from sienna to umber to create a warm to cool in the background. It definitely tells us to look across from the side the light is coming from and punches out the form of the pears. I also love the slight glow around the pears - Caravaggio did that also, I think.
    I agree with Richard, it's excellent as it is. Looking at your last one, I can see you will anchor them on the table with the deep shadow directly beneath both pear and tablecloth. Deepening other shadows depends on the look you're after or what you're seeing.
  • Wonderful work.  I love all the color transitions into the shadows.  I really like how you put in one brown pear and the rest are green and the different angles of the stems.  It's great!
  • Another row of perfect pears, @Annie. Well done!  :)

Of all the fruits I think pears make the most interesting subjects because of the way they vary so much in shape and colour.  :)
  • I'm coming to the conclusion that if you can paint pears you can paint the most interesting people who have less than perfect shapes. The wobbly pears are so beautifully crafted.
    I love the way you've used the transition from sienna to umber to create a warm to cool in the background. It definitely tells us to look across from the side the light is coming from and punches out the form of the pears. I also love the slight glow around the pears - Caravaggio did that also, I think.
    I agree with Richard, it's excellent as it is. Looking at your last one, I can see you will anchor them on the table with the deep shadow directly beneath both pear and tablecloth. Deepening other shadows depends on the look you're after or what you're seeing.
    Thank you . 
    Yes, pears are just like people !
    I like the glow the most in these of all my pears .
    im not even sure how I do it . Which is frustrating as I am never sure if the next ones will have it . I just chucked some 🗑.

I was just wondering : should I have used the sienna on the right side and the burnt umber on the left ? Opposite of what I did on the background ? I painted lighter background where the light comes from . 

Thank you so much .
  • Wonderful work.  I love all the color transitions into the shadows.  I really like how you put in one brown pear and the rest are green and the different angles of the stems.  It's great!
    Thank you ! 
    I love putting in the stems the most : it’s like they’re talking to each other . 
  • tassieguy said:
    Another row of perfect pears, @Annie. Well done!  :)

Of all the fruits I think pears make the most interesting subjects because of the way they vary so much in shape and colour.  :)
    I think so too. They can tell a story . Real characters . The way they’re never perfectly round or shaped . Wobbly and spots and all .

thank you very much 
  • I love how it looks like the pears are in conversation! Nicely done!
  • @Allie
    Thanks , Allie.
    Ha, yes . They are philosophears. ( There’s no end to bad pear jokes 😆).

• Annie said:
    I was just wondering : should I have used the sienna on the right side and the burnt umber on the left ? Opposite of what I did on the background ? I painted lighter background where the light comes from . 
    I think it worked really well because it accentuates the direction of the light source, and it certainly catches my eye and leads me in from that side. I don't know any rules about it but I think we somehow like to follow the direction of the light.
    Annie
  • @Abstraction

Someone pointed out to me that the light shines to the right so the right needs to be lighter .
    Makes sense to me but I like it the way it is .

• So if your pears are sitting in this room which side should be lighter?
    It depends on whether the light is hitting something like a wall immediately to our right and bouncing back or streaming through the air into a more darkened room like this.
    Annie
  • @Abstraction Ha, I’m just not sure anymore . I painted it from my head .
    I did a second background layer and made the left darker . 
    I think I’m going to fabricate a shadow box .
    Thank you again !
    great picture to keep .