WetCanvas is closing

Hi all,

Just learned that WetCanvas is going to be closing by the end of the year. Although not that much of a surprise to me there will be a lot of useful information I have found there that will disappear for good. I hope some of the artists who are there join DMP rather than have nowhere to go, but we will see what happens.
Hunter1

Comments

• Hope that's not going to happen to DMP forum..
    tassieguyallforChrist
  • I just took a look at their annoncement.  The parent company, Golden Peak Media Properties, is trying to force the Wet Canvas membership over the the ArtistsNetwork.com subscription platform.  I can't tell if it will remain at the current $9.99 per month level or not.  They have a "Demo" and I was not very impressed.  

MAybe we will get some artists moving over!
    Suez
  • It became increasingly like the Titanic this year. I would wander into a particular section and wonder where everyone had gone. Just a few hanging around at the bar calmly as though everything was normal and the ship was going to be ok - everyone else appeared to have found lifeboats somewhere and fled the scene.
  • Abstraction

With only 1000 lifeboat places for 2000 passengers what else could you do but drink yourself into oblivion and enjoy the music. A better option than freezing and drowning in the inky sea.

Denis
  • edited November 2021
    @Abstraction and @dencal, Instead of drinking themselves to oblivion, let's hope that some of the painters from Wet Canvas survive the sinking and wash up here on our little art island.  It's a nice place. :)
  • I have a web site that is nearly finished. It includes a forum built on Vanilla as is this. The forum is intended for back and forth on challenges. There are 4 artists involved. There will be areas for critique. Because forums are difficult to monitor and keep in bounds. It may be limited in some way. 
    The site is called paintinginmyunderapnts.com. There are a couple of intro pages one line now.
    I can't say when it will be up and running. Soon I hope.

The site its not about me. I will present my ideas along with the others involved. And link to others. I'd like to have a live video chat periodically. 

I have finally after many years gotten fast reliable internet via SpaceX Starlink. That make this possible. 

Please let me know what you might want to see in a simple sight and forum.
    Marinos_88
  • Regarding WC refugees to the DMP island: I too hope some of them join, and have suggested that to a few by PM. I think a few of us already belong to both WC and DMP (and you know who you are :)  ).

DMP is very different in the types of discussions and the overall civil and welcoming atmosphere. The WC forums’ moderators lost the battle for civil disagreements a few years ago, and troll-like behavior by a few tends to have outsized effect on everyone’s behavior. Now, since the announcement of closing, the few moderators have given up entirely.

Are there official moderators here on DMP, or are we self-moderating? This is an extremely pleasant and informative forum, and I think I am lucky to have found it! 

AbstractiontassieguyArtGal
  • @Desertsky

The last known moderator was @PaulB, who stepped down maybe a year or so back.

Though he still makes the occasional visit.

I say `known` because I suspect that someone must be moderating it under the radar, as I think it can be quite a time consuming task with several aspects to deal with.

Keeping the daily tide of Spammers at bay for one.

• I think it's wonderful how this continues to be a useful and very pleasant place - largely through self-moderation. For some reason, bullies, know-all's, self-promoters etc don't seem to last long here. And spam gets dealt with by us. too. If two members flag a post as spam it disappears.

@Abstraction and @Desertsky, I'm glad you washed up here I and hope that more refugees from WC will find us.   :)
    DesertskyMarinos_88ArtGal
  • @KingstonFineArt that sounds interesting.  I hope that it is complementary to DMP in that it will cover palettes and techniques other than the ones that Mark teaches.  I'd reatlly like to se DMP concentrate more on Mark's limited palette and painting techniques, which is what I thijnk it was originally started for.

The other thing I'd like to see is meaningful critiques.  I know that can be difficult to do online.

I think that all the Facebook art groups have hurt forums like DMP and WetCanvas.  I for one have gotten sick and tired of the shallowness of the Facebook forums and havve been looking for more serious forums like DMP where I can get more advanced information.   I want information I can trust.  The groups on Facebook have too much "stuff" in them that is just plaing wrong!

Maybe DMP and your page can help correct some of this!
  • OK, Luddite confession: I find the Facebook visual, 2-dimension layout and organization to be really difficult to navigate. Even when I am motivated to search for a topic, its hard to find and understand the sequencing of the contributions over time. Instead of a date displayed for when a posting was made, it lists number of days, months, or years ago. Huh? I find the DMP layout to be easy to understand, in comparison, and easier to read as it displays more than 5 words in a horizontal line.

I created a specific identity just for my tentative foray into two Facebook art groups. After a few weeks of reading and very little engaging, I think it is just not for me. I prefer discussions written in complete sentences and more than 1 sentence per contribution.  I get that here on DMP. I hope I don’t come across as a snob. For those who get something out of the Facebook groups – great and good for them.

If Mr. Carder closes down DMP, I would be willing to help fund the set-up of another site, organized and run in a similar fashion.

Persia
  • I'm on two painting facebook sites. Good information but it's like being squashed in to an overcrowded elevator with obnoxious people. Posting in tiny boxes. It's almost impossible to find old posts and find your way through the comments - you tell facebook all comments and it displays some and says 6 more comments. (No, Facebook, all comments means ALL comments). But if someone dares to ask a question that others have heard before they are shouted down - why don't you search instead of asking old questions. (Seriously? Why don't you not click on it and type your complaint?)
    This is a breath of fresh air by comparison.

tassieguyDesertskyjoydeschenes
  • I agree with the objections to the way Facebook is organized. It has never made any sense to me.  But I tried to use it anyway and just ended up frustrated.  

What we need for advancing in our art is a place where we can get well-informed answers to questions and solutions to problems.  That to me is DMP.  

I, for one, want to figure out how to continue to make DMP work as it was originally intended.  I think that having a site like @KingstonFineArt is describing that would be complementary to DMP would help both.
    Abstraction
  • I think the DMP forum is working just fine and just as it was intended to work. It goes through quiet periods like every other site. That's ok.  The fact is that there's nowhere else on the web like DMP.  I don't want to go anywhere else. That won't change unless the DMP forum closes. I hope that never happens.
  • Rob

Yes. Quiet periods are fine and part of the pattern.
    ‘However, my concern is that most newbies start on DMP full of Mark’s great teaching and looking to extend their understanding of the principles and practices through question and answer with other artists.
    The focus is very diffuse these days and I suspect many new starts drift away as we don’t meet their needs. I suggest we all touch on the basics from time to time. Mixing values, paint qualities, supports, drawing, composition, colour checking, premixing, perspective, prop dividers, brushes, stroke techniques.
    it is also important to post fresh examples of the classic Carder style for discussion and analysis.

If we ignore the needs of new starts the next ten years will see two of us left complaining about quiet periods.

Denis
    Abstractionanwesha
  • edited November 2021
    Yes, @Dencal, it wouldn't hurt to keep reinforcing the basics involved in drawing, mixing and painting. 

I try to focus on these basic areas when commenting on work that people post. And I make a point of always commenting on others' work (especially the work of newbies) and where I can I will point to basics like drawing, colour-checking, the importance of values over colour. etc.  And that's pretty much all we can do.

Painting is in part an intellectual exercise but it's as much a physical skill that needs to be learned and honed by actually doing it. No one can do it for us. With regard to  both the intellectual and practical aspects, there is a wealth of information available on the DMP site including dozens of free videos that cover just about everything people would ever need to know. I've been here for about six years and I still haven't gotten through all the free content.  If people are really serious about learning to paint realism in the DMP way then it's all here for them for free. Nothing else is needed as far as I can see.  Except actually applying oneself to the job of painting. 

DMP is a great place for self-motivated painters whether they are just starting out or have years of experience. Long may it continue.
    kaustavMMichaelDJerryW
  • tassieguy said:

Would folks be interested in putting together a list of members contact details so that if this site ever suddenly blips off we'll have a way of contacting each other to get something new off the ground? We could PM each other to get started. If folks don't want to use their regular email account they could open a new one with Google or elsewhere specifically for contact with folks here. 

Great idea. Count me in. I'll pm you my art email address. I too wish to plan for the unlikely event of DMP ending. 
    tassieguy
  • Cheers, @Desersky. Thanks for the PM. I've replied.  :)

• @tassieguy - Well, it looks like you are the new e-Postmaster General, compiling our email addresses. thanks! 
    tassieguy
  • Got your message @MichaelD
    @Abstraction, Yours didn't reach my message box.

MichaelD
  • Cheers @Intothevoid and @KaustavM.  Received both and posted mine to you.  :)
  • I 'm a  member.I will miss it.
  • mstrick96 said:
    @KingstonFineArt that sounds interesting.  I hope that it is complementary to DMP in that it will cover palettes and techniques other than the ones that Mark teaches.  I'd reatlly like to se DMP concentrate more on Mark's limited palette and painting techniques, which is what I thijnk it was originally started for.

The other thing I'd like to see is meaningful critiques.  I know that can be difficult to do online.

I think that all the Facebook art groups have hurt forums like DMP and WetCanvas.  I for one have gotten sick and tired of the shallowness of the Facebook forums and havve been looking for more serious forums like DMP where I can get more advanced information.   I want information I can trust.  The groups on Facebook have too much "stuff" in them that is just plaing wrong!

Maybe DMP and your page can help correct some of this!
    I am not sure what the forum will be like. But thee site and videos will be broad scoped. As far as color goes the team of artists are all masters of color in their own ways. Each of the 'team' have unique approaches to color. Definitely not DMP. The idea that the primary colors is a limited palette is incorrect. The primary colors are all colors. Color will be a main topic along with composition and studio skills. The goal is to present a brad spectrum of approach to making painting. There will be oil, watercolor and gauche. Drawing techniques. Photography for reference and of our art. Ongoing challenges for engagement. Well at least I hope so.

No 'Underpants' won't be a compliment for DMP. Frankly I really don't see a whole lot of Mark Carders disciples on the DMP forum. I hope DMP forum keeps going. It has been a unique and valuable platform.
    I don't see Wet Canvas disappearing just morphing to a pay to play.

I agree that Facebook sucks as an artists forum. I have not participated on FB for about 2 years. I still have an account though. The other day I went up to a page I manage on fishing a local river. I haven't been there since my shoulder blowout. FB now considers it a Business page. A bunch of lying fisherman is now a the statuuss level of Rice Crispys and Coke. God help us. Facebook sucks. 
    Abstraction
  • @tassieguy , when i am trying to go to your profile to send message, it says "Permission problem, the user's profile is private". It isn't happening with other's profiles though. I will check again later to see if the issue resolved by itself.
  • Hi, @Anwesha. It's the way I had it set. It should be ok now.   :)
    anwesha
  • @tassieguy, I too have sent you a message :)
  • Thanks, @ArtGal. Message received. I replied in a PM.  :)
    ArtGal
  • Wet canvas is open now. It's interesting more now. 
  • @Sujanith - Yes, WC is open right now. However, a few months ago, the WC moderators announced that the site will be closing in its current form, and transitioning to a paid membership under new owners. 

**NEW** Latest Update on the Future of WetCanvas - WetCanvas: Online Living for Artists

• It's not paid membership for the new forum part.
  • Looks like its heading in the direction  were it will be more about money than Monet.
  • #Richard_P - that is not my understanding, but I could be wrong (its happened :) ).  
  • #Richard_P  - I just reread that, and I think you are right. It has evolved since the mods there  announced the transition. I actually read through all those posts you linked to before I responded earlier today, but that was before coffee.

Richard, over the past two years, about half of the most informed and helpful posters in the oil painting forums quit posting or changed their names and deleted their posts (Contumacious, Sidbledsoe, Gigilot, JCannon). I interpret this to be a reaction to trolling. So, for me, the site just does not offer much in terms of informed technical analysis anymore. 
    Abstraction
  • It's like the old friendly corner store where you used to have great chats and knew people gets bought out by a large chain store owned by one of the 15 mega-companies that own everything and it now has that impersonal, branded, corporate feel of decisions made far away.
    Yeah, i get a bit carried away with my metaphors, sorry - but all the country towns I used to know now have the exactly same stores as though they've had their personality replaced.