Who do you wish you could paint like? Past or present? And.. why?

I thought we could have a good discussion around this subject! Any takers? :)

Comments

• I don’t know about who I would like to paint like @KingstonFineArt says … like myself.  Painting for me is a bit of exploration.  I have an idea of how I want a piece to turn out but I am always adjusting as I go.  Almost like Hotta moving target.  
    One thing I try to achieve is to have the viewer experience the still life as if she is standing with me right in front of it.  I know that my thoughts and feelings about it will be different but I hope the impact of the piece is felt strong enough to make her feel something about it.
    But there are artists that I admire and would love to be able to spent time studying with them but the list does change over time.  The artist I am currently infatuated with is Ikushima Hiroshi.  

allforChrist
  • edited September 16
    Munnings: Was able to master composition, tones, amazing brushwork, wonderful colour placements, skilled at not only landscape but humans and animals as well.  Able to tell a story that keeps the viewers attention.  His drawings are also the stuff of legend with the wonderful illustrations he did over the years, as well as his fine art paintings.
    Lucy Kemp Welsh: For many of the above reasons.  She was able to master form, colour, composition, light, etc and made the simple look easy.   Fabulous story teller.
    wojciech Kossak: Freedom of his brushwork.  Puts you into the picture in a similar way that Goya did in the third of may 1808.  You feel like you are trudging through the snow, cold, hungry, wounded, with the Cossacks. 
    Modigliani:  His simplicity and ability to capture his subjects so well you feel you know them.
    Hans Heysen: Light, trees, atmosphere, brushwork, he had it all.
     Elioth Gruner:  Never a frosty morning done better.
    Degas: Love the way he killed the rules of composition and allowed subjects to leave the painting, but it works.
    Manet: Love his ability to paint tight detailed paintings, and loose brushstroke ones with equal panache.
    OK all you Aussies, shoot me know, but I love Pro Hart!!.  His sense of humour, his colours, his scratchiness.    Same with Arthur Boyd,  I don't like nor get his paintings, but he taught me you can scratch into paint as well as apply it.
    Paul Klee:  I adore his whimsy as well as his linework and colour subtleties.

So many others like Sargent, Condor,  etc... that I cant name here as the list would go on forever.
    If I could paint just a little bit like any of these artists, I think I would have a deal more satisfaction with what I produce; then again, perhaps one is never fully satisfied?

Perhaps a thread on individual paintings one day, would be interesting as well?
    marieb
  • edited September 16
    Ivan Shishkin
    Elioth Gruner
    Arthur Streeton

They all painted sublime landscapes that have remained as admired today as when they were painted. 
  • I admire the works of many painters but I dont wish I could paint like them.
    Marik
  • edited September 16
    I should have added that, although I admire the painters I mentioned, I wouldn't want my work to look exactly like theirs. Without their eyes, hands and brains and their individual views of the world it would be folly to try to make my paintings indistinguishable from theirs. And I wouldn't want to, anyway. To be original we must paint like ourselves and not imitate others. What I would like is not to imitate the greats but to have their mastery of technique in the hope that I could be as satisfied with my own work as I am with theirs. 
    GTO
  • I would love to be ble to paint skies like Eugene Boudin.  The problem with that is that it is impossible to see how he does them except in person in a museum.  The museum in Richmond has a few of his paintings, but I'm not sure where else to find them near where I live (Atlanta).

For thise who aren't aware of Boudin, he was Claude Monet's mentor and was the person who got Monet to stop drawing caricatures in Paris and come to the north coast of France to paint seascapes and landscaps outdoors in oil.  Many of Monet's early oil paintings were very similar to Boudin's.

Photographs are horrible at reproducing the nuances of a painting.  I've been trying to simply reproduce one of my portraits (which do not have anything close to the nuances of that paintings of a really good artist) and am find it exrtemely frustrating.  
  • Sargent
    Fechin
    Repin
    Bougeureau
    Ingres
    and so many others I'd like to learn from...
  • edited September 16
    Thank you all! I guess that my wording could have been a bit different, and I do agree that we should paint in our own styles :)

I'm going to look at your suggestions to learn more about some of these artists.
  • tassieguy said:
    Ivan Shishkin
    Elioth Gruner
    Arthur Streeton

They all painted sublime landscapes that have remained as admired today as when they were painted. 
    I can see where some of the inspiration for your snow series has stemmed from, having looked up some of Ivan Shishkin's phenomenal works. 
    tassieguy
  • Personally I love the techniques of Hovsep Pushman, he has just the right balance between loose brushwork and solidity of form, also his use of light in his still lives are beautiful in my eyes. 

CBGtassieguyanweshaGTO
  • CBGCBG -
    edited September 17
    Personally I love the techniques of Hovsep Pushman, he has just the right balance between loose brushwork and solidity of form, also his use of light in his still lives are beautiful in my eyes. 

OMG 

Some of this work has my mind reeling...

Normally, a still life includes objects, and we the observer are invited to see the collection presented before us, to engage us in being with those objects in the art which is the painting.

In those still lifes here which have "broken my brain", for lack of a better term, the objects are not objects only but often are works of art themselves, sculpture, prints, or tapestries... including a little figure.  The little figure is surrounded with objects often including one to scale for the figure, not for us.  Some figures, having their own much smaller less defined figures to contemplate!  So instead of participating directly in a still life's array of objects, being tempted to be part of the art and the place (but knowing where we end and the art begins) ... we are thrust out as an observer, observing a personality which actually is in the art and among the objects.... the still life now being a blending of an observer and the observed, and there being a feeling that this personality is trapped there... in the art.  Sometimes undergoing a process of decay or fading... often mirroring the same or worse condition in the tapestry or painting in the background.. or the fading or dying flowers often depicted.  Paradoxically, instead of being kept out of the piece due to our not being able to participate with the objects directly on a personal/physical level we are drawn into the work indirectly through empathy with the person there in the midst... and what it would be like to be trapped therein....

Something here is being said of artistry and life, being trapped and/or being immersed... and the passage of time... the fading of life like the fading of art... and many other particular things are likely there in each one...

So many lines and concepts are blurred here... still very intrigued...
    some of this stuff is breathtaking...
    clearly this artist can see... but also has something to say!
    GTOIntothevoidDesertsky
  • So beautiful! Not just the objects and the compositions but the surfaces of the paintings are amazing, too. Scratched and scraped just as real old walls are. If I were to go into still lifes I'd be looking very closely at these.
    Intothevoid
  • @CBG @tassieguy

It is quite amazing that he is virtually unknown in the art world and I cannot to this day find a single published book about him or images of his work. He was an armenian/american painter who died in 1966.
    I've even gone as far as emailing the curators of his catalogue raisonne to see if there was any books out there.

CBG
  • thank you @Intothevoid for introducing this artist... his works are truly remarkable.... the still life paintings  can have such moodiness.... and i've never given so much thought while setting up still lifes to the background in them.... but i learn from here it can have such a great effect.. what you shared here is in every way a treasure!
    Intothevoid
  • edited September 17
    Joaquin Sorolla
    N.C. Wyeth
    Winslow Homer

Color, drama, composition…the whole package. There are others but these came to mind quickly. 
    I think if I could paint Western scenes (American West, landscapes and figures) in the style of Sorolla, then that would be a combination I could be satisfied with. 
    I know…you’re thinking “well then, you’ll never be satisfied “ 🙂. You’re probably right. 
  • That's very sweet of you, @allforChrist, and wonderful encouragement for us all.  :)
    allforChrist
  • How could I forget @Marik
     Your seascapes and water have been so powerful!!
  • Thank you @allforChrist most kind of you.
     :) 
  • That is a sweet post @allforChrist.  This is a great forum with so many talented and generous artists.
  • Great question and thread.
    The last couple of years I have found myself inspired a lot by Linden Frederick from the state of Maine. His paintings are mostly dusk or night time scenes in the rural or suburban northeast U.S.  While I don't necessarily try to paint like him, he has definitely influenced my interest in capturing twilight tones and I do hope to one day get to his level of realism. 
    https://www.lindenfrederick.com/paintings.html
    ArtGalHondoRW
  • @Bucky
    Thanks for sharing Linden Frederick, he is a master with those scenes!  I really enjoyed looking!
    Bucky
  • @Bucky yeah I can see why you are attracted to Fredericks work.  There is an exploration there if how the time of day has an emotional affectiveness.  Very cool. 
    Bucky