Calendar series: Done and nearly Dusted

edited September 10 in Post Your Paintings
All months now painted, plus an extra for the following year on the back page.

The front cover will be one of these.  It is under currently under construction.

Now I will soon be faced with the dreaded task of trying to sell them.  I am not a salesperson.   Never have been.  Not my forte, but needs must, I suppose!

These are just photos I took on my phone and badly typed words to show the Printer what sort of thing I am looking for.  Each will have a white "frame" around it which doesn't show up at the moment.

Starting with January, here they are in month order...

Now is the time for corrections to these pictures, before final printing begins.  So, any comments will be gratefully received and seriously considered.  Good, bad, or even ugly!

PS For all the observant of you.....Yes, April is an April Fools picture.
BuckykaustavMGary_Heath

Comments

• They are all wonderful, @toujours.  The sepia colours helps situate the scenes in time and each one is a gem in its own right. The horses and carriages are beautiful and the buildings look just as they should. Tourists who visit the area will love these. Let's hope COVID doesn't keep them away.  :)
  • These are so beautiful @toujours! I like all of them! they really got the zeitgeist of the past. I'm sure it will be selling fast. 
    The only  thing that bothers me is the bold font. It's distracting me from paintings. I might be wrong though :)
    Again it's beautiful, congratulations :)
    tassieguyGTO
  • @tassieguy, thanks for your kind words.   I think the painting was the easy part.   The marketing and selling will be harder.   Perhaps I should think about a website one day, or joining fb......?
  • Thank you for your reply, @ArtGal.    I really appreciate your input.    I will discuss the writing with the Printer on Monday.   I don't know what font or size he was thinking of using.  Hopefully he has a good idea about that sort of thing.  I will mention the darkness and ask to see lighter.  
    ArtGal
  • All very beautifully done @toujours.  I love the historical value of each photo and have enjoyed reading the captions to them.  I'm not a marketing expert by any means but feel this would be something people would really want.  That was quite the project I'm sure and you executed it splendidly.
  • These should be extremely popular in your area.  You've done a remarkable job.
  • Lovely work @toujours.

I agree that the font is too bold.
  • Thank you for your comments @A_Time_To_Paint, I think different shops will have different selling ideas.  If I sell directly to some and they put a mark up on, I do not want to be undercutting them elsewhere.  All very tricky!
    @oilpainter1950 ,I hope you are right and they all sell.   I don't want to get left with having lots of them printed and not selling!
    @MichaelD, thank you for your kind words,   I have taken the less bold font seriously and will have it changed on Monday.   Thank you.
  • edited September 11
    @toujours, have you thought about just leaving them in all the shops who'll take them and fix the price so it's the same everywhere and let the shops take a percentage of sales? That way, the shops don't have to outlay any money at all and it might make it a more attractive proposition for the shopkeepers.  Just a thought.  :)
  • tassieguy said:
    @toujours, have you thought about just leaving them in all the shops who'll take them and fix the price so it's the same everywhere and let the shops take a percentage of sales? That way, the shops don't have to outlay any money at all and it might make it a more attractive proposition for the shopkeepers.  Just a thought.  :)
    I had not thought of doing it that way, @tassieguy.  That is a good thought.    The only other way I had thought is to approach the historical society and see if they want a cut for selling them, and putting them in shops as a fundraiser for them.  
    I like your idea and will think it through a bit more.  Thank you.
  • Really nice @toujours, they should be popular.  Very familiar, as I grew up in Dunedin.

Have you been for a snoop down to Tischler’s gallery in Lawrence? We passed through on our last trip to NZ back in June, but he was shut due to COVID. 
  • Thanks, @Roxy.  I am glad someone on here knows where I am situated and what the pics. are about.  I was not sure about posting the information and the Christmas pic, since they identified my town but I figured that is the whole idea of doing the calendar and greeting cards!  I am glad I did now.

No, I have not, but I would love to go to Tischler's gallery.  I live with the consequences of an injury many years ago, and am unable to drive long distances on my own.   I have yet to find someone willing to share the driving with me for a visit to Lawrence.   Perhaps this summer I can co-ordinate something and he will be open?  It would be a real treat.

How did you find the trip to NZ with the isolation etc.?  Was it difficult, or did you make it over when the "bubble" was open?
  • toujours said:
    How did you find the trip to NZ with the isolation etc.?  Was it difficult, or did you make it over when the "bubble" was open?
    Yep, managed to make it over in that brief period when the trans-Tasman travel bubble was open. 
  • I seem to remember visiting Oamaru on a trip to Dunedin back in the early 1980's and noticing all the old buildings there. And I well remember Dunedin. I think you would enjoy the old buildings in Hobart, @toujours. Especially down around the waterfront. I was at Salamanca Place a while ago and sat on the edge of an old horse tough dating from the the mid 1800s. Most of the Georgian buildings at Salamanca date from the 1830's. It's like stepping back two centuries. I guess the old towns of NZ and OZ that a still intact are not old by European standards but they still contain fine examples of 19th Century architecture that did not suffer the ravages of two world wars. Melbourne and Sydney on the other hand have been ravaged by developers. Not sure about Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch. 
  • edited September 12
    @tassieguy, I once spent a lovely summer in Hobart in the late 80's and spent hours wandering around Battery Point and other places.    An ancestor of mine built Lenna, and I looked at his toolbox in the Hobart museum.   He had been a convict and went on to become reasonably well known for his buildings I think.

Yes, having grown up in the Hawksbury valley in old sandstone houses with the rocks and trees around, I have no wish to go back to see how it is today.    I agree, Sydney is a mess.    Christchurch may have escaped developers, but not earthquakes!   The old cathedral and many more historic buildings were damaged or lost a few years ago, as well as the devastating loss of lives.     Wellington had still retained a charm last I was there.   Old weatherboard cottages on the hills all primped and primed and still well loved as family homes.  I keep away from Auckland!

I think a sense of history is a grounding thing.    It makes one realise, our day to day problems are not new.     Also, we do have life pretty easy now, even if it is more stressful.

Often try to include some of it into my works.    I have done paintings in the past, where I incorporate historic mementos into the painting.  I have plans to do some more this year.   Perhaps I will find time this summer, but have a young horse I want to introduce to pulling a cart, which will keep me busy also.
    tassieguyGary_Heath