Best place to get frames?

Nothing cheap looking, but also don't want to break the bank.  Where do you tend to get yours?

Thanks!

Comments

• I have collected for years from junk shops and second hand stores.    I use them for paintings on board that I can cut to fit the frame.
    I have a set of paintings on paper I just got a quote for from a local framing place.  It may be a while before I can afford to get them done.
    In the past I had access to a woodworking facility and was able to make my own from scratch.   Alas, that is no longer the case.
    dencalallforChrist
  • dencaldencal -
    edited August 31
    AllforChrist

The most expensive and impressive frames can be found at art framing shops, look for specials, remnants and run outs. Advice is usually free, big range, glass, mounts and hanging hardware avail.

Department stores usually have a limited range of prepackaged product. Often large prints and posters have a good frame at reasonable prices.

Similarly home decor outlets will stock framed prints.

Dollar stores usually stock a good range of low cost plain frames.

S/H, recycle and thrift shops have lots of framed prints and amateur art. I have seen quite a few beautiful hand made frames for a few dollars.

Auctions and garage sales.

Amazon, Gumtree and eBay. Some good buys here.

Online art supplies catalogues feature frames, some complete with blank canvas.

Galleries and museums often reframe submissions to give an exhibition an upmarket, uniform look.
    The empty frames go to the stock room or the skip.

Suggest doing some woodwork and take a framing course. 

Denis
    allforChrist
  • I’ve used Frankenstein Frames and American Frames.   Decent frames for a reasonable price and good service. 
    I look fir wood frames and stay away from frames made from MDF.
  • dencaldencal -
    edited August 31
    AllforChrist

This is a great video by Tischler. The second half of the video is good value.

Denis

• @toujours
    @dencal
    @GTO

Thank you all so much for your detailed thoughts.  I have a ton of options now, whereas before I didn't have many ideas!  Thank you all!

Sounds like a good place to be is to be able to make one's own frames.  I don't see that happening in the near future, but I'd love to get there one day.

Thrift stores sound like a great option.  I'll take a look at the other resources you mentioned.

Thank you so much again!
    dencal
  • @allforChrist
    My favorite place is www.jfm.net .  They are a wholesaler and you will need a taxid number to set up an account, but they have excellent frames at a good price.

I've recently gotten some good looking plein air frames from jerrysartarama.com.
  • Thank you @mstrick96
    What is the difference between regular and plein air frames??
  • Plein air frames are intended for landscapes paintings primarily, although I think they can look good with any subject.

Plein aire frames tend to be more simple and the ones I see are usually about 2 1/2 to 3 inches wide.  Not very ornate and usually are only available in a few colors.  

The intention is to have a frame that will works with most landscape scenes and that will go with a variety of landscape colors.  Since they are simple, they don;t detract from the painting.  

These frames on Jerry's Artarama are quite typical.
    Plein Aire Frames | Ready Made Frames | | Jerry's Artarama (jerrysartarama.com)

• edited September 7
    Got it.  Thanks for explaining @mstrick96.  I learned something!