“Chasm” Oil painting on ACM panel

I did this 16x22 inch painting on ACM panel since I always heard so many good things about the surface. It’s incredibly similar to Speedballs gessoboard or just a really smooth gesso panel you can prime yourself. So, overall I liked it but it’s such a pain to find and get supplied I’ll probably stick to panel!
anweshaBBBMichaelDdencal

Comments

• A bit dark
    Haha yes that is what I was aiming for!
  • interesting prospective @tinafigartist , I can tell by your other posted paintings ( like your peach one) you are good at the people telling a story ….which is really nice.
    It looks like you used a nice color mix for your darkest darks, did you use black in that too? I’m new to the site and working at color mixing :) …doing a dark background is challenging. 
  • interesting prospective @tinafigartist , I can tell by your other posted paintings ( like your peach one) you are good at the people telling a story ….which is really nice.
    It looks like you used a nice color mix for your darkest darks, did you use black in that too? I’m new to the site and working at color mixing :) …doing a dark background is challenging. 
    Yes, dark backgrounds are very tricky! Especially when they dry, since dark colors dry so matte. I used transparent red oxide, ultramarine blue, and ivory black for the background :) That way the darks stayed pretty warm and not too grey. 
  • i agree  with @joydeschenes , about your paintings telling a story. i really like the subtleties in the face.
    tinafigartist
  • @anwesha Thank you friend! I appreciate it :)
  • this is great! It feels introspective and autobiographical… is it? For me the narrative is very important in a painting, art that tells a story, not just recreates likeness of objects on canvas. I like the darkness here - it’s a comfortable, not a frightening kind - and the unfinishness of the bottom edge. Very well done!
  • BBB said:
    this is great! It feels introspective and autobiographical… is it? For me the narrative is very important in a painting, art that tells a story, not just recreates likeness of objects on canvas. I like the darkness here - it’s a comfortable, not a frightening kind - and the unfinishness of the bottom edge. Very well done!
    Thank you so much! This painting was being worked on during the loss of my dog as well as myself going through some health issues. It’s funny, because I planned out the painting prior to all this happening and it was kind of fitting how dark and enveloping the mood in the piece is. Like how the darkness of kind of surrounding and apart of her (me?) like i’m the hair and torso area. Your autobiographical approach is 100% correct! 
  • Well...

This is awesome.

The darkness, but still so distinguishable.  The face is not that weird blotched amateur portrait thing.  It's so well done.  

I'm really into the hand pose.

Yay for you!  
    tinafigartist
  • @allforChrist I really appreciate your kind words! I was not entirely happy with this piece, so it is nice to hear how much you enjoy it!