Favorite art-related books?

Hello all,
Looking to expand my book inventory! Any favorites I should add? Either instructional, theory, art history, or art of books :)

Comments

• Alla Prima II Expanded Edition, Richard Schmid, I bought in May, and posted about that on here.

https://forum.drawmixpaint.com/discussion/13265/alla-prima-ii-richard-schmid#latest

Although the shipping inflated the already high price, I think the book is a treasure and worth every penny.

Not only is it massively informative I find his style of writing with its wit and humour to be a bit like an old friend chatting with me.

A great and highly praised book bu a great and highly respected artist who sadly died in April.

• Here is where I’m probably just ignorant on the matter, but will ask anyway… What makes this particular book so expensive?  I don’t know I’m willing to spend that much on a book!?!?
  • edited August 20
    @buchmarshall, I guess its because its a book from someone who many would say was/is a modern day master. 
    He imparts his findings ways and methods from his wealth of years of experience.

Sure there are things in there that are in other books, but much much more that isn’t, because its from him and his life and experience of painting.

I bought the hardback and it is well made, the demonstrative photographs and ones of his works are also quite beautiful and of high quality as is the print and paper.

Note: I have seen if for massively inflated prices other than the Richard Schmid website, which is where it is advisable to get it from.

buchmarshall
  • I did see some of those inflated prices! I still may consider the investment as my interest in painting has taken off more than I originally expected. I just love the process and it’s become my own form of therapy! I tell people it’s like going to a really good movie! My mind goes into the painting and away from the troubles of the day! Thanks for your investment in the completeness of your response. Much appreciated!
    Marshall…
    MichaelD
  • I did see some of those inflated prices! I still may consider the investment as my interest in painting has taken off more than I originally expected. I just love the process and it’s become my own form of therapy! I tell people it’s like going to a really good movie! My mind goes into the painting and away from the troubles of the day! Thanks for your investment in the completeness of your response. Much appreciated!
    Marshall…

I have the book as well, and I think it's one of the books every painter should have. Not only are his works beautiful, but he gives examples of exercises to help with color mixing and everything. I would say save up for it, and treasure it :)
  • No problem @buchmarshall, I get what you say about painting. I find it highly therapeutic and the fact that you are always learning with it is precious.

:) 
    buchmarshall
  • @tinafigartist, I figured when I was posting that you may already have it.

I agree it is a book to treasure.

=) 
    tinafigartist
  • MichaelD said:
    @tinafigartist, I figured when I was posting that you may already have it.

I agree it is a book to treasure.

=) 

I tend to go through books slowly, especially with this one since I like to write notes as well. Even without having finished the book, I know its a good one!
    MichaelD
  • I don't have a favorite or even own many How To painting books. My interests and needs change over time, and the local library (I live in the US) is my best friend. If the library doesn't have the book, I request an interlibrary loan so they can get the book anywhere in the US. 

I do own the Schmid book, and I find it valuable to go to every few years and re-read it. Stuff just jumps out at me as new because now I have a different perspective since the last time I read it. I bought it used, but it was not much of a discount. 
    tinafigartist
  • edited August 20
    @tinafigartist

Oh yes,

I sometimes take it to a cafe with me and slowly mull over it.
    Its one I dont want it to end so will no doubt just keep reading.

I think its a book I will never tire of.

tinafigartistArtGal
  • Do people still buy paper books?
    I went to high school in the 1960's and early 70's when Gombrich's The Story of Art and Canaday's Mainstreams of Modern Art were the prescribed texts. I've had these books for over 50 years and still look at them from time to time. I've been meaning to order Schmid's book from the website but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'll buy it for myself for Christmas. He was a wonderful landscape painter. 
    ArtGal
  • Paper is the way to go. OH YEAH BABY!!! I like old technology, in case you didn't notice :)

tinafigartist
  • I have several Schmid's books. He was the best flower painter. I have many books on the Wyeths. Andrew Wyeth was the master of composition and limited color palettes. Jamie is also is a master. His birds are incredible.There are too many books to note. Many that I have are out of print. 

A book that I refer to very often is Creative Illustration by Andrew Loomis which is back in print. I have a set of Famous Artist School Binders. Mostly out of date production chapters but the drawing , composition and color sections are priceless. 
  • edited August 25
    David Leffel. What an artist. Mark's work and style remind me of him a lot. The book is -
    Oil Painting Secrets from a Master - Linda Cateura (author) David A Leffel (Contributor).

Google his works and you'll find paintings and youtube clips if you're not familiar with him. Brilliant observations in the book. In videos you'll find he has a way of describing things or making an observation that can bend your way of thinking about painting.

MichaelDtinafigartist
  • @Abstraction, I agree. Its been in my collection for a few years too.

Abstractiontinafigartist
  • David Leffel. What an artist. Mark's work and style remind me of him a lot. The book is -
    Oil Painting Secrets from a Master - Linda Cateura (author) David A Leffel (Contributor).

Google his works and you'll find paintings and youtube clips if you're not familiar with him. Brilliant observations in the book. In videos you'll find he has a way of describing things or making an observation that can bend your way of thinking about painting.

buying this one right now!

• @tinafigartist
    Leffel was a teacher at NY Art Students League for many years. He is at the pinnacle of this form of realism and art instruction.  Drawing is the foundation of his work.
    Abstraction
  • CBGCBG -
    edited August 25
    @tinafigartist
    As a novice with only about 7 books, I recommend:

Color and Light - James Gurney
    Mastering Composition - Ian Roberts
  • @Abstraction @KingstonFineArt I don't own that book, but I was lucky enough to meet with Davil Leffel around 1992. He visited at my RV in Ojai CA. one evening, because he was a friend of my younger brother who was visiting me, so David came to spend sometime that evening with us, I remember he said that two towns were his favorites in the USA: Taos, NM and Ojai, CA. What a kind person he was, we had a great time.

Now for books, I have only few, but my favorite is The Natural Way to Draw, by Nicolaides, which I think is a classic book.

AbstractionArtGal
  • edited August 26
    if you are interested in painting/drawing people, i have two suggestions:  for the fun of practice you can try "the human figure" by Vanderpoel (suggested by my instructor at the atelier). But if you want to get a copy, get one that is pre-1960s. the later ones the instructor said are no good as the drawings lose much of the subtleties. Ive practiced a lot from it.. it has drawings for you to copy with space given inside the book itself (but don't draw in the book :s ), from little bigger than thumbnail to moderate size. for the older version i would suggest Ebay. 
    The other would be Sargent's "Portraits in charcoal" book.... it has a closeup of the faces.. so again a great book to practice not only the features from, but how Sargent worked the values in a full lit face to a shadowed one... i just got it, just seen the pictures, haven't read it yet.

If your town has used book sales anytime this year i would suggest you give a visit, you can get many gems there and hardbound in great condition too.. i got quite a few from there.. One is a Sargent book of his paintings for $5 which is ~ $50 in amazon  =)

P.S If you have a good library nearby, and see a sizeable art inventory, give it a visit, that's how i decided to get the Vanderpoel, after checking it out in a library.
    tassieguyArtGal
  • anwesha said:
    if you are interested in painting/drawing people, i have two suggestions:  for the fun of practice you can try "the human figure" by Vanderpoel (suggested by my instructor at the atelier). But if you want to get a copy, get one that is pre-1960s. the later ones the instructor said are no good as the drawings lose much of the subtleties. Ive practiced a lot from it.. it has drawings for you to copy with space given inside the book itself (but don't draw in the book :s ), from little bigger than thumbnail to moderate size. for the older version i would suggest Ebay. 
    The other would be Sargent's "Portraits in charcoal" book.... it has a closeup of the faces.. so again a great book to practice not only the features from, but how Sargent worked the values in a full lit face to a shadowed one... i just got it, just seen the pictures, haven't read it yet.

If your town has used book sales anytime this year i would suggest you give a visit, you can get many gems there and hardbound in great condition too.. i got quite a few from there.. One is a Sargent book of his paintings for $5 which is ~ $50 in amazon  =)

P.S If you have a good library nearby, and see a sizeable art inventory, give it a visit, that's how i decided to get the Vanderpoel, after checking it out in a library.
    Thank you so much!! I spent a good two hours in my university’s library looking at all their painting and drawing books because of your comment. 
    anwesha