Anatomy check- biggest painting yet!

Hello all,
Im working on this large (24x30 inch) painting and I have the drawing ready on the linen. Does anyone see any really obvious/distracting errors? It’s my first full body painting and my largest one yet. I’m so excited for this piece, and I want it to be the best it can be. I may need to fix the arm that’s bent, I can see that now that I took the photo!
Allie

Comments

• The drawing looks good to me. What's it painted on? There seem to be wrinkles in the surface.
  • tassieguy said:
    The drawing looks good to me. What's it painted on? There seem to be wrinkles in the surface.

Linen that I glued to panel that didn't turn out the smoothest :(
  • I've tried gluing canvas tp panel. I had exactly the same problem. 
  • tassieguy said:
    I've tried gluing canvas tp panel. I had exactly the same problem. 

Im hoping that the paint will cover most and won't be too distracting. Linen is too expensive to just toss out!
    tassieguy
  • @tinafigaetist, yes, you wouldn't want to be tossing linen out. I gave up on gluing canvas to boards. It's much easier to stretch it and you always get a smooth, taut surface. If you have the canvas/linen already then all you need is the stretcher bars (not expensive) and a stapler. To make it easier on your fingers and nails some canvas pliers would be helpful, too. Mark has a video on stretching a canvas. It's easy once you've done it a few times.  :)
  • tassieguy said:
    @tinafigaetist, yes, you wouldn't want to be tossing linen out. I gave up on gluing canvas to boards. It's much easier to stretch it and you always get a smooth, taut surface. If you have the canvas/linen already then all you need is the stretcher bars (not expensive) and a stapler. To make it easier on your fingers and nails some canvas pliers would be helpful, too. Mark has a video on stretching a canvas. It's easy once you've done it a few times.  :)
    I wanted to adhere it to panel for easier framing! Stretching is a lot of work, I’ve done it once or twice haha. Last time I stretched canvas though, the gesso kind of seeped through the linen? I’m not sure why, but I thought that was kind of strange 😅
  • @tinafigartist
    This figure is unbalanced? The head and shoulders are very good and expressive. The set of the lower torso is ambiguous in relation to the head and shoulders. There's lyrical relationship that is the human figure that is not in tune here. That doesn't mean it can't be.

The arm is not in proportional. 
    It needs more time under the charcoal or brush to find a correct figure.
    Your can draw ok but figures are a set of complex relationships that can't be rushed. Spent more time drawing and correcting. Use the proportional dividers to compare both scales and angles. (see Mark's video)
    I find that I draw better with a brush and thinned paint. But that's me.
  • @tinafigartist
    There are many good videos on mounting canvas or linen to boards on YouTube. Stretching would be preferred for linen.
  • edited August 17
    I think the drawing is good, @tinafigartist. It's an under-drawing, a sketch,  rather than a finished drawing. There are some fine gestural strokes and, obviously, you will refine it as you paint as you did with your painting of the girl with the peach at the door.  If that is anything to go by there is no reason to think that this won't be equally as good. I find it easier to draw with the brush than with charcoal or pencil. Not sure how you re going to cover the ripples in the canvas. though. That would require very thick paint. I'd take it off that board before I went any further with it. It will be harder to do later and you'll risk damaging the painting which you won't want to do if it turns out well.
  • Perhaps you can remove the ripples with a scalpel blade and fill in any depressions with layers of gesso to smooth it out, if it proves too hard to remove the entire canvas from the board?
    I would not paint it the way it is.   The folds will make any lines do over the top look like a pole in the water in angled sunlight.  It will distort the line the way it is and even create shadows.
  • I think you are correct about the bent arm...It looks just a tad too big to me. Other than that, it looks great! Good luck and looking forward to seeing your finished work! 
  • The face and upper body is well drawn to start the painting. the lower half looks a bit hurried, but i think just a few more minutes can change that :) The figure seems to be done from a photo that was taken with the camera  held nearer to the head making the legs seem a bit shorter. if you're going for this modern effect then its fine or may be the figure actually is like this as human beings can have all sorts of measurements :)