Two paintings

Just wanted to share these new paintings with you. Both paintings were rendered on 18" x 24" canvas. They are both alla prima paintings completed within 4 to 5 hours of work. Your feedback is always appreciated. Thanks. 
GTOBuckyCabraldencalRoxyGary_HeathtassieguyArtGalMichaelDanweshaMarinos_88Alliejoydeschenes

Comments

• They're great, @Leo2015. I especially like the second one. The diagonal composition is very effective and the brushwork reminds me of Sargent. 
    Leo2015
  • 4 to 5 hours of work??? Impressive!
    On my easel that’s 4 to 5 weeks of work! ☹️ I’m always impressed with people who are able to paint quickly! I’m also jealous of that loose brush stroke you have mastered… Someday!!!
    Nice job! 
    Marshall
    Richard_PLeo2015
  • The second painting is my favorite.  The pose, the expression and brushwork is excellent.
    Leo2015
    On my easel that’s 4 to 5 weeks of work! ☹️ I’m always impressed with people who are able to paint quickly! I’m also jealous of that loose brush stroke you have mastered… Someday!!!
    Nice job! 
    Marshall
    Agreed!
  • Your style is very natural and unforced.   These are excellent.
    Leo2015
    Nice job! 
    Marshall
    I think after 4-5 hrs I may just have gotten round to making some reference marks, and started to mix some colors. Outstanding paintings, especially given your timeframe. I too am very impressed with #2. 
    buchmarshallLeo2015
  • tassieguy, buchmarshall, GTO, Richard, Cabral, toujours, and Roxy, thanks for your kind feedback. 

tassieguy, I wont take all the credit for the composition since the work was loosely based on a photo I found online. I left out a lot of small details and applied the paint in simple masses which is what tends to give it a Sargent- like appearance. 

Marshall, don't be too surprised. These things can be done quickly if you know what to put in and what to leave out. It doesn't take a whole lot to suggest a complex image if you lay down the paint in simple masses and work some smaller details into them. I usually break up the first layers in three simple groups: darks, middle tones, and lights. Once that's done I work the details into those with quick strokes but never aiming for too much realism except in the values. I like to think of this approach as impressionistic rather than realistic. Hope this helps. 

toujours,  I wish that was always true, but sometimes it's necessary to redo a whole part when it doesn't work the way you hoped it would. Believe me, I've been overwhelmed many times while painting and have had to paint certain details more than three or four times just to get it right. 

Roxy, if you haven't done so already, and if you feel bold enough, you might go ahead and try copying some master artist you admire. If you've never tried it, I recommend you begin with something small and simple like a portrait, still life, or some simple landscape. Something without too much objects or details. You really can learn a lot about composition and brush handling by sometimes doing these kinds of exercises. Wish you the best. 
    buchmarshallanweshatassieguyGTO
  • Lovely paintings.  For someone to know you have replied to them, you need to put an @ sign before their name.
    Leo2015
  • so much done in just 4-5 hrs.. thats remarkable and the paintings are beautiful...and thank you for the detailed explanation above... the handling of the whites are very good too something i struggle with.
    Leo2015
  • I love both. I like how you have a variety of edges on both paintings, bold brushstrokes on the dress (2nd one) and correct values. 
    Really good job Sir! 
    Leo2015
  • @anwesha, thanks. Yea, white can be tricky and it can get muddy so easily. Like I mentioned above, I try to put things down in flat masses and then work whatever details in to them, usually with simple strokes to suggest a pocket or a wrinkle. I try not to paint the shaded parts of white fabric too dark because it tends to lose the lightness and begins to look heavy, especially if it's in sunlight. 

@Marinos, thanks. I suppose artists treat their edges in whatever way they feel helps the overall look of their pictures. A simple set of rules might be: Fade the edge where the form gets lost in shadow. Leave it a bit sharper if the edge is in bright light especially in the focal points of the painting. You can blur them out somewhat as you move away into less important areas. As you gain experience you tend to fuss less about edges, and they kind of fall into place all by themselves. Hope this helps. 
    Marinos_88GTO
  • @Leo2015 really love your handling of the fabric in both paintings but mainly the chair in the second. Thank you for sharing. 
    Leo2015
  • I love the play of sunlight and eyes in the second. You can't but look to the white, but then she's looking at you. I love the bold use of cool and warm on her face. Then where the image collapses into bold, abstracted brushstrokes up close.