"Through the Streets of Tuscany", Oil on canvas 12" x 16"

Than you very much for looking.  I welcome any helpful feedback or comments.  

Trying to capture that heart-stirring Italy experience.  

This is my second DMP painting and I praise the Lord for everything that challenged me in this one!  

Thank you again :)

phoria01ArtGalGTOLoushkaA_Time_To_PaintGary_Heath

Comments

• I love doorway paintings. You did a good job with this, @allforChrist. I like the colour and the painterly looseness.   :)
  • You’ve got some nice spatial things going on there.  The building and frontage on the right side and the glare in the window in the top.  
  • The colours and texture are great! You’ve captured that dappled sunlight on old stone really well. The magenta flowers on the right compliment the blue on the side of the building well too. My only suggestion would be (if you were after more depth) to add more definition to the foliage on the bottom left. 
  • Thank you @Loushka .  I agree.  The photograph of the painting has too much light coming from the left side, casting a glare over the foliage on the left.  Although it does need more depth there as you said, I think some of it is undermined by the photo.  You are definitely right.

• Thank you @Loushka .  I agree.  The photograph of the painting has too much light coming from the left side, casting a glare over the foliage on the left.  Although it does need more depth there as you said, I think some of it is undermined by the photo.  You are definitely right.

Perhaps more depth to the shadows would help this problem?  Photos can be so deceiving at times.  It is a very appealing subject and you have done a really nice job of it.
    allforChrist
  • Yes @toujours, I think you're right and that would really help.
  • edited August 6
    Tried to get a better photo and edit it accordingly.
  • I've taken the liberty to do a couple visual suggestions. 

1 Crop the image to dimensions. I this case you may want to paint to the edge of the canvas. As it is it would be difficult to frame.

2. Lighting. The painting is flat. Obviously there is a light source.
    The portal seems like it would be in shade. I assumed the light was coming from the upper right. I did this by duplicating the painting. Then darkening the duplicate layer and masking the dark layer where I wanted highlights. I will occasionally do this for my paintings as a way to get unstuck.

Notice how the reds stand out a bit.

This could be done on the painting by glazing or washing darker neutral tints.

Marinos_88Gary_Heath
  • @KingstonFineArt
      thank you so much for taking this much time to give your thoughts.  So the parts that you have those little clear dots over, you would add more highlights?  Thanks again.
  • Yes my thoughts are similar to above and so is my play on photoshop. You are capturing sunlight. We don't have that level of brightness on the canvas, so we express it through values by making the shadows darker to capture the contrast between the light and the dark. If we capture the tonal distance, it works. The values are more important than the colours. In this very quick sample I guessed your light source was probably behind our right shoulder slightly based on the purple shadow falling on the arch. All I did was darken the tones wherever the sunlight wasn't.
    More technically the shadows would then pick up the reflected light from the objects nearby - or if the sky is blue that day, even the blueness from above.
    Of course, you have your source photo - I could be wrong. :)
    It's a lovely nook you've captured and you've executed it nicely with lovely sense of texture and subtlety.
    Csontvaryanwesha
  • @Abstraction I really appreciate your time and thoughts.  I see what you are saying; that does add a lot of depth.  Thanks again!
  • @allforChrist  the thing that I noticed, and i noticed it because its something I struggled with when I started painting, was using too much white in mixes.  The greens in the flowers on the wall and the planter seem to be cooler than I think they would be in real life.  (Especially Tuscany tends to have warmer light, hence greens would have more warmer colors so use more yellows/reds in mixes than whites) It seems like the green in the distance beyond  the arch is more the yellowish green that I’m talking about. 
    allforChrist
  • Yes @Csontvary you are so right, thanks for pointing that out.  In my latest painting posted here was when it hit me that these leaf colors usually need some more yellow in them.  Thanks again :)