Back Harbor Reflections. FINISH?

This is the painting I had to stop when my shoulder stopped working back in March. I tried doing watercolor sitting down but that was not working either. I couldn't cast a fly rod. Even more disturbing. Now after some intense PT. an a couple of shots in can stands up and paint. Arthritis is evil. Getting old is not for the faint of heart.

This is on an 18 x 24? inch panel. What you see is the underpainting painted with copal medium for a glossy quick dry. I don't recommend it because it's stinky and expensive. I sa so long that I gave it a spay of retouch varnish...
Its a story of reflections. Seaweed covered rock, giant pine trees and peeks of sky. Filtered through that glorious Maine haze. 

Theres quite a bit to do and I'm taking it easy.

CBGGTOMarinos_88AllieBuckyArtGalHondoRWdonnchadh4kaustavMA_Time_To_PaintGary_HeathMioForgivenessphoria01MarikMichaelDkostas80joydeschenesNotACatanweshaJan_DJerryW

Comments

• @KingstonFineArt
    There is something really mysterious and wonderful about water captured this way.

Just wonderful!
  • GTOGTO -
    edited July 21
    this is beautiful.  I love what you’ve done with the water.  It’s rich, has depth and variety to it.  I can imagine Ophelia floating in it.  Beautiful colors.
  • @GTO @CBG Thanks. This is what I see in my reference through my minds eye.
    Forgiveness
  • Delightful painting.  The boat certainly has a Sargent quality.  The water is excellent.
  • I agree, the water is excellent. I have the feeling the reflections of the boat is accurate, but I also expect it to be a little darker when I look at it.. if that makes sense!

Good luck with the shoulder.
  • Absolutely gorg! Feels like in in another boat looking across the water. Magic
  • Beautiful painting. Glad to hear you’re doing better. Looking forward to watching this as it progresses. 
  • I'm sorry to know about your problem. I also felt it slightly after covid last year. Felt like 60 at 40...with all the joints paining after a month of steroid shots. Couldn't paint beyond 30 minutes. You could use a standing arm support.

The painting is 70% finished. I thought it was finished before I moved to the lower section. Only thing I can add is that bring the dark colors to the front and leave 10% of the greens intact. Also place one or two objects in front. Painting looks almost done!
  • This is so expressive as it is now.  I like it like this.  Certainly just my aesthetic preference, but I see so many works on this site that lose some of their beauty when the artist moves closer to reality.  This is a fine work as it stands now.  Best of luck with your recovery.  
  • Defo Sargentesq... <3 I put it up on my computer screen and stood across the room (!) it's already a captivating image. Brushstrokes - wow! Love it.. 
  • Lovely warm colours on the foreground and cooler on the backround, gives me a real sence of depth. Cant wait to see the final result.
    Sorry to hear about your shoulder, hope you get better soon to do what you love the most.
  • Thanks for the comments. The painting is drying for the next step. Though it is mostly painted as glazes. I'll be doing very transparent glazes for finish. I'll use the copal medium for a glossy quick dry. 
    Forgiveness
  • Well worth the wait, being able to see this.    Lovely, and a great concept.
    As well as my 2 frozen shoulders, I was injured gardening 12 years ago.   I have lived with the repercussions since, having to give up work and change my way of life entirely to deal with day to day existence.     As  result, I was unable to paint or draw the way I used to, and found the process so painful and frustrating,  I could see a difference in my work and did not like it.    Consequently,  I put my paints away and have basically done no art for 12 years.    The odd experimental wire sculpture for family and friends has been my limit.
    Recently I was commissioned to do 2 paintings.    I had to devise a new way of doing my work, but it was doable.    It has got me going again and I am now experimenting with new techniques and ways of painting to fit around my condition.  
    The break of 12 years, has enabled me to get over my frustrations, and really just enjoy the process, rather than fight it.  Perhaps, you will also discover new ways to express yourself in your work, which take your shoulder into consideration, rather than fighting against the frustrations of awkwardness, stiffness and pain?
    Whatever you are doing, seems to be working.  Looking forward to seeing more.
  • edited July 24
    A painting of pain, isolation and loneliness. Atleast you are not painting it in (the) blues. Greens will be a challenge. Good luck. Needs a foreground focal point too. Or something else to catch attention and draw you in. Maybe the foreground ripples being a higher value than the boat. I like the distant reflection and solid object to ground onto.
  • Really like the water and that "no questiona about it" focal point of the light boat.  The water is beautiful.  I hope you are able to work through the problems with your shoulder and are able to get back as fit as ever.  I liked your comment about growing old not being for the faint of heart.  It really is true.
  • Thanks for the comments. The painting is drying for the next step. Though it is mostly painted as glazes. I'll be doing very transparent glazes for finish. I'll use the copal medium for a glossy quick dry. 
    What brand of copal you use for glazes @KingstonFineArt?
  • Brilliant concept.  Keep going.  Push through the pain and keep moving.
  • edited July 26
    Are your employers monitoring you, @schoudericrs29. I am. You compliment a painting so you can slip in a link to an outfit that spies on employees. Crass! 
    Marinos_88
  • Awesome work, a little at a time. Sorry to hear of your challenges, these can be difficult indeed. I suffered a pulled right trapezius muscle, it runs from the bottom of the neck at the back and supports the shoulder to stay up. This happened while practicing one hand push ups in a martial arts class, that was our 1st go at it, in the early 80's. The snap of it could be heard clearly throughout the class room & everyone looked with big eyes! I didn't realize it for a few hours later. I couldn't even lift a book nor anything for 18 long and difficult months. My most comfortable position was for drawing, short encouraging & inspiring sessions. I also had to prove the doctors wrong and that I could still have a normal life, near unaffected. I was very fortunate to recover successfully and enjoy. I had to learn to be stronger somehow, some way, mainly in a slow progressive fashion. I stopped martial arts immediately afterward because I wanted to paint for a very long time in my life, as well as many other things in life. And I got to learn to use my left a lot more than usual during that period. Doing art helped me to overcome the pain, the deeper I could get into my sessions the better I could forget about it, especially if the sessions were powerful.  Recently I'm still recovering my left foot, it bothers me while painting, gets me in my sleep, although recently most days are much better for walking a few city blocks for now, looking forward to bicycling I hope!
  • Still some way to go waiting on paint to dry. 

working on a watercolor thing in-between.

My Great Grandmothers Wooden Match holder with ornamental grass. Watercolor with gouache on 172 illustration boar

Forgiveness
  • That’s a very very nice piece.  Thanks for showing the stages it went through. I’ve been working through some water reflections and learned much from looking at this piece as it evolved.  Beautiful brush work.
  • Yes, finished.
    Worked well, you must be pleased with it?
  • I really love your choice of composition here. Beautifully done!
  • Such a nicely crafted painting, it gives me a sence of calmness. Lovely brush marks and the coulours are such a joy to look. I hope one day i can achieve that effortless look!

• Nice job! 
    Simple content executed nicely!
    You have demonstrated less is better!
    Well done…
    Marshall
  • "The pain passes but the beauty remains," Auguste Renoir.
    (For those who don't know it, Renoir's response to a young Matisse's question about how he could paint when so crippled by rheumatoid arthritis.)
  • Varnish time. The colors pop.To view in more detail Open image in new widow.A dramatic difference from the flattened color
    Marinos_88Gary_Heath