Art Competitions

Gmorning Everyone! (Or good afternoon, or evening!). I noticed in the posts here, that many people are entering their work in competitions. I think that is awesome! How do you find out about these competitions? Are there any that you recommend entering in?

Every time I try to look for/research about art competitions, I really don't even know where to begin! Thanks!

Comments

• edited July 18
    @Allie, most countries, states, provinces, cities and even small towns have competitions run by galleries and community organizations. Just Google "art competitions" and the name of the place you live. You'll be surprised at what comes up. 

Entering competitions is a great way to get your work seen and to make sales. It also helps build confidence. And you may even win.  :)
    Allie
  • @KingstonFineArt thank you! I appreciate it!
  • @tassieguy thanks! Yes! I have googled about competitions near where I live in the past, but I find that a lot of info pops up and I have a hard time deciphering what might be a good competition/art call to enter. I live right outside of NYC, so that might be why 🤷 . I guess I should just stop fretting over it so much and just go for it. 
  • Yes, there is a lot of stuff out there, Allie, and it's hard to know where to start. I started with a small competition run by an art group in the little village near my farm in Tasmania. In NYC there must be many more such opportunities. Your local borough (or whatever they call small local areas in NYC) probably has such a group. Unless you have enormous self-confidence and think you are as good as the best already, you are better to start with some of the smaller local competitions with smaller prizes rather than with big, juried national competitions that are very hard to get into.  When you're just starting out you want to build confidence gradually whilst you work on honing your skills further. Small local shows/competitions are great for this. When you submit works they are usually for sale so even if you don't win a prize you might sell something which is a shot in the arm in itself. So my advice is start small and local and finish big and national. The most important thing is to get started showing your work. 

Good luck with it.  :)
    AllieGTO
  • @tassieguy thank you! I feel like that is really sensible advice! Starting small is a very good plan. I'm going to start looking more into it and hopefully will find a good fit for me to start with entering! I so appreciate your thoughtful comment! And Tasmania! Wow!! I'm sure you must get a lot of inspiration there from the beauty! Would love to see it one day! 
    tassieguy
  • Thanks for starting this thread.  I have had the same queries running around my mind and put it in the 'too hard' basket, until now.
    The time has come to be pro-active!
    Allie
  • I've been entering small online art competitions for the past few years. Won some prizes as well. The fact is when you enter these you'll gain a lot insights from looking at the people better than you and a commercial outlook as well. 
    Funny thing is when I sent to the big galleries they rejected my works...these galleries prefer conceptual art and they do not notice realism at all. So, you'll understand where to submit.
    Allie
  • @Allie. Look up the museums and art guilds in your state.  If you are a plein air painter there is likely an organization in your state that sponsored events and competitions. When you find competitions look up past shows to see the kind of work they exhibit.  Shows that offer higher prize $ draw greater competition.  They are usually run well.  Those are the shows to go for.  And don’t give up.  Use every show as a learning experience.  
    tassieguyAllie
  • @toujours I'm glad that this topic helps you too! It is a bit overwhelming out there! 
  • @kaustavM thank you! Yes. I think it is important to start to get some experience of putting myself out there. I haven't done too much of that. I have been in a couple of shows, but have been personally invited to those, so it really isn't the same as applying. It is am interesting observation about the big galleries out there. I think that they are really hard to get into and agree that conceptional art is really in trend right now. I think a lot of it is about connections (to which I have none! 😅😅) My plan is to start small and hopefully grow!! One step at a time! 
  • @dencal thank you denis!!! I'll definitely check it out!! 💛
  • @GTO thank you for the comment! Looking up art guilds and local museums is a great idea! I appreciate the info! I think the key for me is to just push on and apply to shows, even though sometimes ( a lot probably! 😉) I'll not get it. I won't know unless I just try! It is just that there are SO many competitions/art calls and it is hard to decipher what is legit and what is not, it can be a little overwhelming.  This thread has been very helpful! I'll definitely check out the resources posted here 
  • @Allie. I think local and regional shows are good to start with.  It’s a great way to get involved, meet other artists and just have fun with it.
    Allie