Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Some lessons come hard. Still life - canvas failure.

Comments

• I was short a canvas the other night, so grabbed one I had painted in blackboard paint (matt black).

There is a reason not to paint on a black canvas.....We know the reason, so why did I think it would not apply to me....?

it keeps sucking the life out of any paint I seem to apply.  This pic, taken under lights is not so bad since the light can reflect off the paint.   However, with only shadowed daylight, in a room, it is a very hard painting to actually see.
    I wanted a moody painting, but it would be nice to be able to actually see it!
    Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could remedy this?   Would layers of paint over this initial layer help?
    Thanks.
  • I suggest using a different black, perhaps one that you can mix yourself with oil paint. The qualities of blackboard paint would suck the life out of just about any medium except chalk & maybe poster paint. I enjoy painting on a black canvas & panel, I can more easily see values very clearly.
     At this point I would sand (consider "wet sanding") down what has been painted, try to remove as much of the blackboard paint as possible, then re-gesso with oil based gesso. I've used Ivory black diluted with linseed oil and applied like a wash for my surfaces.
  • Thank you for all that.   It was a one off I am not planning at this stage at repeating.   I had hoped there may be a way of saving this work, but possibly the radical suggestion you have made to go back to the canvas is the only way.   If that is the case, this can just be added to the "mistakes to look at sometimes to learn from" pile to save myself the effort involved!
    I like the sound of the ivory black and linseed oil wash  It would mean you have to stick to "fat" over the top, I suppose?
    Forgiveness
  • edited June 9
    Rather a shame you can't rescue it, @toujours. The gold items are good. Have you thought of oiling it out repeatedly until it stops sucking up oil and you get an even sheen? You could also try retouch varnish. Neither of these possible solutions is ideal but they might help. 
  • tassieguy said:
    Rather a shame you can't rescue it, @toujours. The gold items are good. Have you thought of oiling it out repeatedly until it stops sucking up oil and you get an even sheen? You could also try retouch varnish. Neither of these possible solutions is ideal but they might help. 
    Thanks for the suggestion.  Funnily enough, there are no dry spots that would need oiling out.   It is more a case of the black from behind, pulling the reflected light into the painting, rather than reflecting it, if that makes sense?
    Since it is not a finished work, I wondered if multiple layers of paint may help cover the canvas enough to stop the black from having this effect?

Yes, I was pleased with how the brass items were shaping up and had hoped I may be able to salvage it, however, I might just chalk it up to experience and start all over again with a fresh canvas.  We live and learn.....