Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Troubleshoot my slow drying medium

Hi all - my first attempt at making slow drying medium has resulted in a medium that won't mix together - the Venice Turpentine sits on the bottom of the jar.  I tried stirring, shaking, warming and letting sit overnight, but it still won't mix together. I live in London and the materials i found and used are - "Cornelissen : Larch Venice Turpentine Resin" from JacksonsArt, Winsor&Newton Sansodor for OMS, W&N Linseed Stand Oil, W&N refined Linseed Oil, and Clove Bud oil.  Suggestions?    

Comments

• rsuplee

When the components are mixed together they should take on the appearance of a clear amber fluid, much like your VT looks.
    I see from your floating upper components that they are milky and emulsified? Water contamination?
    perhaps some incompatibility b/w Sansodor and the rest?

Suggest leaving it at rest for a few days in a warm place, closed properly. The milkiness may settle out, allowing you to blot up any water.

Denis

rsuplee
  • Hi @rsuplee – I do not use natural resins (larch), but I think that OMS will not dissolve it.

Turpentine is needed, as it is a more powerful solvent. Also, I would suggest (CAREFULLY!) heating just the resin in a double boiler before adding the turpentine, stirring and dissolving it. Once the resin is dissolved with the turp, only then add the other ingredients.

May I ask, what paint application or visual results are you aiming for with this mixture which just linseed oil and clove oil will not achieve?  

• OK - I was half right: balsams need heat to dissolve and mix with the other oils. It does not need the turpentine to dissolve. Here is a site which presents the procedure: 
    Artists Materials - Canada Balsam Mediums Recipes - Natural Pigments
  • Desertsky

Slow Dry Medium:

= Longer open time on pigments from a few days to a week depending on temperature and humidity.
    = A buttery viscosity, easily modified to manipulate brushstroke.
    = A more elastic, less brittle dried surface quality.
    = Glossier surface, therefore more saturated colour.
    = SDM paint keeps in sealed containers for years without hardening or skinning.
    = Painting sessions spread over several days uses the same palette colours.
    = SDM acts as a paint extender, allowing expensive pigment to go much further.
    = Brushes and workspace easier to clean up with SDM paint.
    = Brushstroke levelling.
    = SDM is a prerequisite for premixing values.
    = SDM cuts down paint gone to waste on the palette.

Denis
  • @dencal

Thanks, Denis. I am new to DMP, so am still learning about stuff. How are brushes easier to clean up after using natural resins?  Or are you referring to a different SDM mixture?

• Desertsky

SDM mixed paint in actuality is a dilution I.e. less pigment particles per cubic millilitre.
    SDM mixed paint will by design remain more fluid in a brush for a longer period.
    SDM mixed paint will more readily dissolve in an oil and clove brush immersion bath.
    SDM mixed paint will be easier to remove completely from brush bristles.

Denis
    oaktown