Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

"Remi" 16x20 Oil on Canvas. Let me know what you think.

Comments

• edited June 3
    Very good. I love dogs and a Labrador was my first. They're great dogs.

You got the colour of the coat right and I like the way the directional brushwork gives a feel for the form. I also very much like what you've done with the vegetation in the foreground - love those reds, oranges and greens. The only thing that lets it down a bit is the area around/behind him/her. I don't understand what it is. Making this clear would improve what is already a very good dog portrait.  :)
  • MJCMJC -
    edited June 3
    @tassieguy Thank you and you are correct. If I didn't already know what it was it would be confusing. The setting is out in a duck blind and the Labrador is sitting in a little camouflage tent that duck hunters use to help hide their dogs from the birds. I could have better defined the flap on the left might have helped. do you have any ideas?
  • Great painting….the dog's expression is brilliant. The composition really stands out, same with the balance between the energetic brushwork of the vegetation and background and the calmness of the dog and more detailed brushwork. 
  • The blue background is taking attention away from the portrait of the dog.  The blanket around the dog is hard to read and not really necessary.  The vegetation is perfect, even exquisite.  The blue is way to bright in the background. When I cover up that area the portrait of the dog is perfection.
  • @GTO Yes, and believe it or not i repainted the sky and once already because it was on the blue side. I should probably go more to a gray than just white. I tried using the Bleu De Phthalo  for the fist time. I used the color checker but my eye must have been bad that night. This was a customer (a whopping $50) supplied photo and I think it was heavily photo shoped or filtered. 
  • @MJC sometimes what I do is visually block sections of the painting with my hand or a piece of paper and just observe how things appear to me.  It can help to see what can be changed to improve the impact of the subject.
    Once I saw an exhibit of Andrew Wyeth paintings and I found that at times what was most important was what he did NOT include in a painting.  
    MJC
  • MJCMJC -
    edited June 4
    Thanks for the advice. I think i will put it back on the easel and see what i can do.
  • @GTO I think that looks a lot better. Thank you for the help!
    GTOArtGalMarinos_88
  • Yes, big improvement.   The grey sky helps eliminate the need for a definite light source from the sun, which would then require the correct shadows from each blade of grass!
    I don't think you need to get rid of the "hide" as someone suggested, since it is a big part of the explanation of what is happening in the painting.
    Well done.  Hope the recipient is pleased with your result.
    MJC
  • That looks perfect.  The retriever is the star of the painting.  Well done.
    MJC
  • Wow, that's a real improvement. With the sky toned down my gaze rests on the dog and that lovely vegetation.  The tent looks better, too, with the sky toned down. And I really like the composition. I think you can be proud o this one.  :)
    MJC
  • Thanks All!! I Really appreciate the help. @GTO @toujours @tassieguy