Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Monochromatic head sketch - Practice

Hey folks, just a quick drawing i've done using burnt umber and white!
Here's the timelapse video, photo of finished sketch at the end 1:58
Thx
Marino

CBGdencalGTOMichaelD

Comments

• You did a great job with that, @Marinos_88. I like the way you built up/constructed the form.  :)
  • Thx @tassieguy,  I'm doing these exercises on paper lately, trying to improve my observation skills!
  • I sketched my face on this one, had fun doing it, nowhere near done but i have limited time lately and two hours is all i can do for painting. Suppose better that nothing until i get some time to do a decent painting.
    Thx for looking, any comments welcome!

MichaelDtassieguyanwesha
  • edited June 4
    @Marinos_88

That was very enjoyable to watch both and how you created them, I enjoyed the music too.

Was it Radiohead in the first one ?
  • Hey Michael, Thx
    Yeah, Radiohead. I'm a big fan =)
    MichaelD
  • I was very much into the album The Bends when it came out. I know they have done a lot of good stuff.

:) 
    Marinos_88
  • Radiohead....this video of “weird fishes” kept me up for weeks.  Love their music.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TNRCvG9YtYI

your painting is excellent...it’s most difficult to work wet on wet, any pointers about the paint or technique you can share?

• I used to listen to that song when I was in college on my own having a couple of drinks :)
    Kept me up at nights too :p
    Glad there are some Radiohead fans here =)

I'm using traditional oil paint, straight out of the tube, and a lot of different shape&material brushes(synthetic, hog, sable).
    I think the best way to learn wet on wet is to just do it and try to figure it out yourself, experiment if u must. That's why I'm using just one colour and do these exercises on primed paper, it saves me a lot of money while I learn.
    I start with thin layers of paint and make it thicker as I'm nearly done with the painting. Sometimes I even get carried away and use too much paint. That's when I simply scape off the paint with a palette knife and start over. I only use a bit of medium at the beginning (1 part turpentine & 1 part linseed stand oil), just dip the tip of my brush and mix it with the paint, only for the initial stage of blocking in.
    The technique is from Harold speeds book titled "Oil Painting Techniques and Materials".
    I find it extremely informative but difficult to understand at the beginning (when you paint more and more it makes more sense). It also includes a couple of useful exercises.
    Wet on wet is about knowing how much paint to use, what different material brushes do, and how transparent and opaque colors behave when u paint on top of each other.
    It's really fun experimenting, trying to understand all these different aspects when painting wet on wet.
    Hope it helps Alan,

Marino.

• Thanks for posting this, I really enjoyed watching you work.  I will look at again slowed down when I have time.
    Even more, I enjoyed reading of your experimentation with process.   A lot of what you say resonates with how I have been playing with oil and paper and oil and smooth board lately.   I have tried scraping off excess with the palette knife and have done the opposite and applied paint with the palette knife and then used a brush to move it around.    It is quite fun to find what works and what does not.
    Looking forward to seeing your work when you have more time.
    Marinos_88
  • Love it. Great demonstration of drawing with the brush and of the importance of accurate values.  :)
    Marinos_88
  • @toujours thx, glad you liked it. I'm trying to use nice tunes to make the viewer forget how amateurish my paintings are :)
    @tassieguy thx for your kind comment

• @Marinos_88
    Whats next, a green plastic watering can or a fake Chinese rubber plant, maybe ?

:) 
  • @MichaelD
    Sorry I don't do these, especially fake plastic trees :p
    MichaelD