Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Sugar Jar 8x10 canvas panel

Comments

• @sam_storm
    It looks like it might be a really good painting. The photo is getting in the way of seeing it. 
    sam_storm
  • CBGCBG -
    edited May 27
    I like the lit haze in the dark spaces of the painting.. it makes the sun come alive in a way that is close to the real experience...  literally adding atmosphere. Well done.
    sam_storm
  • Very atmospheric…I love the highlights on the jar. 
    sam_storm
  • tassieguy said:
    Did you want feedback, @sam_storm?
    Please! I am quite happy with the outcome but I still can't shake the feeling that something is off about it
  • Could it maybe be the temperature of the cast shadow from the jar? It's a warm shadow which means the light source would be cool. The other thing to check is the value of the shadow. It looks slightly darker than the background behind it but is that the case? 
  • Loushka said:
    Could it maybe be the temperature of the cast shadow from the jar? It's a warm shadow which means the light source would be cool. The other thing to check is the value of the shadow. It looks slightly darker than the background behind it but is that the case? 
    I think the light I used wa sfairly fairly cool, it was 5000k. Im not sure how much cooler the bulbs go.  The background was the back side of my shadow box which may have had a bit of light reflection. I agree that it may be what's making it look off..  

Maybe my shadow box should have an open back to give to illusion of a dark void
  • This looks good. The vessel has solidity and its shadow and the background work well quite well from what I can see. 

It's difficult to see clearly because of the shadow of the easel on the painting and the noise from the studio behind the easel and the distortion due to the camera not being straight when you took the photo.  It's best to crop photos before posting so that your painting is presented in the best way. Your painting is probably better than it looks in this image.  :)
    kaustavM
  • tassieguy said:
    This looks good. The vessel has solidity and its shadow and the background work well quite well from what I can see. 

It's difficult to see clearly because of the shadow of the easel on the painting and the noise from the studio behind the easel and the distortion due to the camera not being straight when you took the photo.  It's best to crop photos before posting so that your painting is presented in the best way. Your painting is probably better than it looks in this image.  :)
    Thanks! Yeah I need to figure out how to take a straight on photo without the light reflecting off the paint causing what looks like "sparkles" or white hightlights all over the place