Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Medicinal Compound, 24"x48", oil on ACM

They say to paint what you love...

While working through the pandemic, and my liquor cabinet, I decided that it doesn't get more fun than to paint colored glass with light shining through it all. Had to drink down some of the levels to allow the light through. Took 100 hours, what a change in speed for me. The image is probably too low-res for you to spot all the hidden secrets.
MichaelDCBGDesertskyDustin_CropsboyMarinos_88GTOdencaltassieguyHondoRWBuckysam_stormanweshaMioemazAllieSecondSarahA_Time_To_PaintGary_HeathRoxy

Comments

• Extraordinary! That's the word.
    PaulB
  • edited May 26
    Brilliant  work @PaulB.

Most efficacious 

:) 
    PaulB
  • Wowzers! Beautiful work Paul. I don't think I could stick doing a painting for 100 hours!!

You must have been enjoying doing the drinking painting.. ;)
    PaulB
  • You are so dedicated to get the bottles and contents just right to paint. Love it. I put easter eggs in my work as well. 
    PaulB
  • Ok, I thought I had an impressive liquor collection until I saw this! I especially like the one bottle casually one its side. I really like how it's half lit up and kind of half in shadow….and it makes you want to keep studying it. And then go make a drink of course  ;)
    PaulB
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    kaustavM said:
    Extraordinary! That's the word.
    Thank you Kaustav.

MichaelD said:

Most efficacious 
    Thanks. Michael gets the reference.

Richard_P said:
    Wowzers! Beautiful work Paul. I don't think I could stick doing a painting for 100 hours!!
    100 hours is quick for me, it was four full weekends. I only seem to paint on weekends now, but when I do, it's morning to night both days. Thoroughly enjoyed this subject in both ways. It was tricky because the levels kept changing.

Desertsky said:
    You are so dedicated to get the bottles and contents just right to paint. Love it. I put easter eggs in my work as well. 
    I can stop any time, I swear. Easter eggs are tremendous fun to put in, especially if they are hard to find. I have a new painting with about 30 rats painted into the scene, but they are very hard to spot.

Loushka said:
    I especially like the one bottle casually one its side. I really like how it's half lit up and kind of half in shadow….and it makes you want to keep studying it. And then go make a drink of course  ;)
    It took me a week to set this up. That sounds ridiculous, but I just kept changing it and improving it, and thinking about it. Every time I moved a bottle, I created a shadow, removed a shadow, added a colored highlight, took one away, illuminated one bottle and darkened another. It was a kaleidoscope. There were certain bottles that I needed to be in the light, or prominent, like that one with the yellow sticky note on it, otherwise it was just me sliding bottles around for a week.

The bottle on it's side is a reference to its fallen brother. I brought two bottles of rum back from the Caribbean, and managed to drop one in the airport. Rather I dropped the bag it was in, and it smashed and added a rum flavor to everything.
  • Sir your painting is spectacular! I love the light, the way you got that mess of bottles in order and beautifully composed , the highlights on the bottles and the coulors... oh the colours, just amazing!  Thanks for posting
    Marino
    PaulB
  • GTOGTO -
    edited May 27
    Excellent work.   But for some reason I start getting sleepy when I look at it for too long.  🤔.  (Hint, a specific bottle to the left).  I like the Easter eggs.
    😀
    PaulB
  • Just fantastic, Paul!  The composition, the lighting, the values and colour, the background, the polished wood and reflections in the foreground ...  Everything about it works beautifully. Seen in the flesh it must be even more impressive. It's huge! I'm so glad you posted this.  :)
    PaulB
  • You’ve got serious skills @PaulB! The lettering alone is spectacular, not to mention everything else. Great job!
    PaulB
  • Wow, fantastic! It is clear that you love painting colored glass with light shining through because you're a master at it! And I love paintings that I can keep looking at for a long time and keep on finding new things. Still looking for the Easter eggs, though @GTO
    PaulB
  • Yea, @Bucky I couldn’t find the eggs either.

Maybe partaking in some of the produce brings it on 

:) 
    BuckyPaulB
  • so much care is taken with each bottle, just lovely...  i also liked your revealing trick with each of these bottles on insta...was a fun idea :)
    PaulB
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    GTO said:
    Excellent work.   But for some reason I start getting sleepy when I look at it for too long.  🤔.  (Hint, a specific bottle to the left).  I like the Easter eggs.
    😀
    It's my favorite bedtime drink! Don't forget the far right either.
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    tassieguy said:
     It's huge! I'm so glad you posted this.  :)
    Thanks Rob, it's a big one alright. It looks ok in the light.

... the highlights on the bottles and the coulors... 
    Thanks Marino. Once I started playing with the light, trying to get it to pass all the way to the right, it became a fun challenge.

HondoRW said:
    The lettering alone is spectacular
    Thanks HondoRW. This one sure cured me of my fear of lettering. Only 400 fears remain.

Bucky said:
    Still looking for the Easter eggs, though @GTO
    Thanks Bucky. THis is probably too low-res to see them. Then again, they are not really meant to be seen, at first.

MichaelD said:
    Yea, @Bucky I couldn’t find the eggs either.
    My name is spelled out, for example.

anwesha said:
    so much care is taken with each bottle, just lovely...  i also liked your revealing trick with each of these bottles on insta...was a fun idea :)
    That trick was me trying to stretch out a lot of nothing into daily IG posts. Thanks Anwesha.
  • 100 hours to paint it, or drink it? Prost!
    PaulB
  • That’s astounding, jaw-dropping, extraordinary! So well executed and a brilliant idea. 
  • @PaulB I’ve had to rely on the late night shot before too.  
    I’m not sure if I should drop any hints on the right side egg?  😀. It’s hard to tell what that would be added to.
    Are there more than two eggs?

• PaulBPaulB mod
    GTO said:
    @PaulB I’ve had to rely on the late night shot before too.  
    I’m not sure if I should drop any hints on the right side egg?  😀. It’s hard to tell what that would be added to.
    Are there more than two eggs?

Oh no, don't add it to a drink, under the tongue maybe. Yes, more than two, and a sad story.
  • I see two .  I can’t tell what the yellow capped bottle is though.  Your clue sad story isn’t clicking for me.  
    BTW.  My wife thinks this painting is pretty amazing.