So I was thinking, as a novice, some reasons I do not paint as often as I otherwise would want, include:
1. Not having enough time to devote to a big work I care about
2. Not wanting to waste paint on something I don't care much about
3. Not wanting to waste a canvas on something I don't care about
The problem then is how do I do studies, practice mixing, and practice painting with all those psychological barriers?
Then I thought, what about mini (I mean really mini) studies. I could just crank them out and get some practice and not care much about any of them.
1. They are small and therefore each does not take as long.
2. They use much less paint, both to mix and to cover, but I would get the same color mixing practice.
3. Mini canvases are super cheap.
(BTW: My eyes work well for fine work, if I have the right glasses on....)