Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

A new wet palette

Hello everybody,

I’m working on an artist's wet palette specifically designed for heavy body acrylics and gouache paints. I would like to know if painters would be interested and if you could help me? The idea would be that the palette would be ready to use, there would be a mold-resistant foam and a hydration membrane to keep paints fresh for days and the case would have a high-quality sealing system so that the paints stay stable. What else do you think could be useful for such a product? Do you think of anything? Would you need it to be transportable for example? How long would you need to keep the paints fresh between sessions? Thank you for your help :)

Comments

• Acrylic paints that I have will not remain usable for long even with a sponge.  I use a variety of makes including the golden open.  I do have an idea for it, but it really isn't practical for most people.  I would involve displacing the air.
  • Cecile_Art

Acrylic will turn smelly and weird in any saturated micro environment.

Suggest the best approach for acrylic or oils is to premix stock primaries in say 75ml snap caps. Premix all the values for a painting in groups, from highlights to shadows and a greying colour, in say 10ml snap caps.

Mix all oil paint with slow dry medium as Mark specifies, or use Geneva paint. Have not tried this with acrylic but should work fine. Air (oxygen) is the enemy here.

Paint directly from the containers, using a palette to mix a half tone or cool patch, keep containers closed when not in use.

Plenty of ready to use colour for rework sections or touch ups. Use leftovers to tone future canvasses.

The pic shows the 10ml containers. The oil paint remains useable for six to eight weeks, even longer for full containers with the air displaced by a glass marble. The 75ml containers retain useable paint for about three years.

So, for a product design, something like an ice cube tray, with airtight top/s, for each colour group.
    Carefully moulded containers to make for easy cleaning and reuse.

Denis

• Thank you both for answering! I understand that keeping paints fresh and stable is an important thing and it is exactly what we have been working on for long! We'll be using a patented hydration membrane and mold-resistant foam. It is specifically developed to keep acrylics and gouache paints fresh for days and at the right consistency. It is really amazing. After months of tests, we found the best advanced hydration technology. Here's our Facebook page for those who wish to take a look at our work concerning the wet palette we're developing RedGrass Art & Light | Facebook
    Thanks for your time! 
  • Thank you both for answering! I understand that keeping paints fresh and stable is an important thing and it is exactly what we have been working on for long! We'll be using a patented hydration membrane and mold-resistant foam. It is specifically developed to keep acrylics and gouache paints fresh for days and at the right consistency. It is really amazing. After months of tests, we found the best advanced hydration technology. Here's our Facebook page for those who wish to take a look at our work concerning the wet palette we're developing RedGrass Art & Light | Facebook
    Thanks for your time! 
    Sounds good. But how long does the paint last even with mold-resistant form? If it doesn't kill the mold spores and the mold gets into the paint doesn't it spoil then?

I'd like to hear more about the testing and results you've achieved.. :)
    Cecile_Art
  • How does it keep the top of the paints from drying out?  I don't mean trade secrets, just from the fact that when the top is off the base plate usually is not able to deal with the top of the paint.
    Cecile_Art
  • @Richard_P : the foam we use is highly efficient against molds. In fact, we already developed a wet palette for miniatures painters, using products that are very similar and nobody report any mold issues! For traditional artists, we use a membrane and a foam that are different of course, because the needs and paintings are not the same. But we chose with the same demand about quality! Keeping the inside of the wet palette's case clean and rinse the foam helps to avoid problems with molds too.
  • @TamDeal : after many tests, no problem to keep the top of the paint wet. The hydration system (specific membrane and foam) we developped works even with a thick layer of paints!
  • How long does paint last inside before mould appears then? :)