Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

New painting- Lazy Saturday

Comments

• That’s... astounding. Where can I see more of your work? I hope to be half as good one day. I hope and assume you do this for a living.
  • I have so much to learn from this painting. Seeing colors as simple shapes that others might not notice. Proper steps without over blending. And a million other things. I’m going to study it but whoa, I have a long way to go. 🤣
  • @jodie2025 fabulous painting.  I like the way you composed the lighting.  And you left enough scene above the couch to compel the viewer to wonder what kind of day it is.  Your figurative skills are excellent too.  Who are some of the artists that inspire you?
  • edited April 12
    This is superb, @jodie2025! I love the composition and you've captured the light falling on the subject beautifully. And on the sofa and fabric. The patterned cushions are great. I know you love painting pretty girls but this one is so much more than that. It's right up there with the very best of your best work.  In fact, I think it is your best. Well done!  :)
  • Wow!! Beautiful work with a very interesting composition! Love it!
  • I really love the posture and the light!
  • Fabulous.  I like this a lot.  Very well composed deliberately keeping an interesting context with a lot of patterns and varied texture, not to mention the lighting effect that sets it all off.  Wow.
  • Gosh! this is gorgeous!!
  • beautiful work...values seem particularly impressively correct
  • @Coach_T01Thank you for that- values were the thing I was really focused on in this painting and your comment was a weight lifted from me! 
  • @anwesha Thank you! I appreciate that!
    anwesha
  • @GTO The artists who inspire me are many and varied. I really love the illustrators though; Howard Pyle, NC Wyeth, Norman Rockwell, the Lyendeckers. But the painters? Andrew Wyeth, Tamara de Lempicka, Hopper, Maxfield Parrish and of course the master- John Singer Sargent. But many, many others as well- Whistler, Valesquez, William-Adolphe Bouguereau, but John William Waterhouse is my personal favorite. But Norman Rockwell- whether you think he’s an illustrator or a fine artist -is just amazing. So under rated and under appreciated. I could go on and on and I probably have...who do you like or draw inspiration from?
  • @emaz No- I am not making a living as a painter. I am a custodial manager at an Ivy League university in the US. I have this odd quirk where I don’t market my paintings or try to sell them. Just doesn’t interest me. Why would I want to sell my paintings? I had a gallery but left it. I work at night and on weekends and I work a lot. Art is my true love and money doesn’t interest me much. I am free to paint what I want when I want which makes me very happy. I am a serious artist - it’s the most important aspect of who I am- and all I want is for the next painting to be better in some way. 
    emazMichaelDArtGal
  • @Rebecca thank you Rebecca! One of my favorite names- the first being Jessica. Unfortunately I don’t know anyone named Jessica. 
  • @anwesha I like all people who use the word “gosh”😀
    anwesha
  • @jodie2025 I’m learning this. As I’ve started to paint, what I look forward to the most to just hang them on my walls (I have yet to varnish and frame one) and also to do portraits for family members.

• @jodie2025 I agree with most of what you had to say.  "Although I've done very little, my art is the most important aspect of who I am - and all I want is for the next painting to be better in some way."  It's always lovely to hear someone who shares your most important ideals. My future goal would be to paint the best paintings I can manage -- all based on Mark Carder's principles - and I don't want to charge any money for them because it messes up my mind. I will donate anything I paint in the future to somehow support those things that I believe in.

• @jodie2025  I forgot to say, I really liked your painting.  The leather sofa and the cushions are soo lifelike, and of course the beautiful girl is also very lifelike. Is she vaping, incidentally? and is that smoke I see at the right side of the sofa, or something else?  (right side looking at it)
  • @jodie2025 I was checking out this amazing Rockwell painting at the museum the other day.

I consider illustrative art as real art.  I don’t get why it has to be separate from academic or classical work.  
    Over the years I’ve been inspired by different artists.  Lately it’s been classical realists like Ted Seth Jacobs, Jacob Collins.  I too just want the next painting to be better than the last.  That’s what I strive for.  I don’t paint for a living. I work at a full time job and can only paint in the spare time that I can. Generally I paint about an hour each evening except fir Friday’s.  And about three to four hours on weekend days.  Sometimes  if I don’t have a lot of other pressing things.  Right now I am submitting paintings to competitions.  It’s a way to share them and meet other artists.  

When you had your gallery did you show your own work?

You say you aren’t interested in selling your work but you have sold some work?  Right?  I mean with the quality of your work there must be people interested in it?

With this painting the you posted did you work from a photo?  Did you have a model?  I’d love to do figures but I don’t have the resources for models. 
  • @GTO thanks for sharing your story- I find that very interesting. Many of us are doing the same thing. I didn’t own a gallery, I was represented by one and it was fine, I met a lot of local (New York, Pennsylvania, Connecticut) artists and that’s nice. And yes, my paintings sold and for decent prices. I don’t know- it just wasn’t my thing. 

For models I sometimes take my own photos- I’m lucky to have a nice studio space and I’m really into photography lately. Some things I paint from people I find on the web- generally people are very willing to give you permission to paint them if you ask. I browse (stalk?) my friends friends on Facebook and have found several photos there - in fact the painting I’m working on now is of someone out in Nevada that I had never met. She had a great photo of herself so I messaged and asked if I could paint it and now we’re Facebook friends. She even sent me a higher resolution photo because the ones on Facebook are compressed and it’s a fairly large (36 x 36 inches) so I could see the details better. I message her the progress as I go and it’s been a fun experience for both of us. So that’s an inexpensive way to find models and meet new people!

Is the museum where you saw the Rockwell painting the Rockwell museum in Stockbridge, Massachusetts? I’ve been there twice or possibly three times and it’s really a great place.
  • @jodie2025 that’s cool they you get such interesting photos to work with.  The Rockwell is at the Newfields museum in Indianapolis.  I love that museum.  They are renovating a way bag that should be opening in June. Can’t wait.  
    Back in 2000 I got to do a pastel copy of a Japanese ink drawing from the Edo period in the gallery. (I had to use pastel.  They would not let me use wet mediums)
    I’d love to visit the Rockwell museum.  That would be a treat.
  • @jodie2025 @GTO
    Norman Rockwell was an amazing paint. His work was never reproduced well. A simple problem of the times he lived. I have been to the Norman Rockwell Museum In Western Massachusetts. His oil work is absolutely superb. Technique on technique effortlessly. Just up the road apiece is The Clark Museum. Where you can see a magnificent collection of Sargents and Homers among other great American painters.

Think about this for a moment. The allegorical painters. The masters we call them. Weren't they illustrating their times. Religious stories, peasants in the field, tragic figure and social injustice. They recorded the changing world around them. Illustrators I'd call them. The Impressionists illustrated the birth of modern life. Illustration is simply telling a story. Of course the vehicles of stay telling change over time from churches to castles to rich home and museums.

In the 19th century Newspapers, Books and Magazines began to capture the public. Artist filled the pages with Illustration. Illustration reigned until the 1970s  photography improved and cost far less.
    Not all illustration was great realism. But much was. Homer, Remington, Sloan, Bellows, Hopper and more started as Illustrators. Realism must contain good drawing, good painting and a story.

I spent half my life as a humorous illustrator from 1970 to 1993. I was never a giant success. But I did tell some very funny stories. When people ask what I did I always said and still say I'm an illustrator.

Marinos_88
  • @KingstonFineArt @GTO I’ll have to go to this Clark Museum! I see what you’re saying and thinking about it’s really true- Reubens was illustrating as well. In his giant allegorical paintings. Even the Sistine Chapel is really illustration. I notice the art world has taken notice of Rockwell now that his paintings are selling for millions each. They seem very surprised but really he is an artist that everyone knows- and he was an incredible draughtsman and master of value and color. Thanks for the comment and very interesting to hear your story. I used to describe myself as an illustrator... now I say oil painter but not “artist” .... maybe someday. Hopefully soon because I am getting older!
  • dencaldencal -
    edited April 26
    Folks 

"The Unknown Hopper: Edward Hopper as Illustrator"

https://youtu.be/MpUBxbxQj1k

Denis
  • edited April 26
    @dencal Thanks for sharing this! Interesting!
  • edited April 26
    Thanks to everyone for the interesting conversations!
  • @KingstonFineArt. The Clark museum looks like it has an excellent collection.  

Not far from a Amherst too, where Emily Dickinson museum is located.  I love reading her poetry.

• @GTO
    …and not far from Boston. Home of the Isabella Stuart Gardner Museum and MFA. New England is a treasure of little collections. Homer at Phillips Andover for example. Most eastern states have good museums and collections. The Clark and Rockwell museums are only about 2 and a half hours from Hartford and New York. If you drive fast.
  • I’m a big fan of Rockwell too, I have a great book with some of his work in.
  • @MichaelD @KingstonFineArt @GTO interesting fact: the best book of Rockwell’s paintings is a GIANT coffee table book by the artist Thomas S. Buechner. I studied with Buechner in his studio in Corning, New York. He was a former director of the Brooklyn museum and Vice President of Corning Glass and had an amazing studio with a north facing wall of glass. And an amazing painter who taught in Germany part of the year. But he never told me about the Norman Rockwell book- I found out he was the author a few years after he passed away.
  • @jodie2025 what kind of painting did you do when studying with him?  
  • @GTO bad ones. Still life. Landscape. Bowls and hills. I wasn’t very into painting back then- more of a pen and ink illustrator. Only started painting seriously in 2011 and was at his studio back in 1994 or 95. But I did learn a few things.
  • GTOGTO -
    edited April 27
    @jodie2025 I like the painting.  The kid doesn’t like getting his hair cut.  I like the dated look of the old barber shop. And you drew the figure of the old man so well. 
    I can see why you might move away from this kind of work. Why repeat what Rockwell did?  But I also see the attraction to doing something that is this rich.  
    But your latest painting is way better than this one.  The lighting is more dramatic.  The edges are clearer.  The subject has an element of mystery. (Who is she? What is she thinking?). 
    One other thing.  Your figures look real.  Rockwell’s have a sort of not cartoonish but story book character to them.
  • @Dianna Thank you! Although I’ve never said “Although I’ve done very little”... I’ve done a lot of painting. And other stuff. But I have stacks of paintings, some of them quite terrible to get to where I feel I am now. Vision without action is hallucination. I think Thomas Edison said that.
  • edited April 30
    Now that’s really nice , do you have Instagram so I can follow your work ?
  • I agree with some of the others, this is your best painting so far. Both in terms of subject matter and technically. Well done, it's very impressive!!