Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

My dog in the grass - WIP

emazemaz -
edited April 11 in Post Your Paintings
So as you can see the grass color is a little bit off. I’m OK with that. But I don’t think I like the abstractness of the grass. I’m not very good at wet on wet, this is my second painting, and the paint for the grass is very thick and wet. It’s straight Geneva paint, perhaps I should’ve thinned it out? 

Anyhow, it would be difficult for me to add more detail. So I’m considering wiping off all the grass and starting over and going for longer, thinner and individual blades of grass. As tedious as that would be I think that would really add to the realism. How would you guys paint the grass? What do you see that would help me? I see patches grouped together that vary in color. I see that even the shadow grass has light tones but less saturated. I see that the sunlight grass has more yellows. I see small but entire black and brown shapes within all the grass that need to be there. I see quite a challenge. 🤣

Or… Does the grass work as it is if you haven’t seen the reference photo? I’m uncertain.

I also need to do something with her white chest fur which is overblown in the photo. Since I removed the leash, I’m not sure what to do. Maybe I’ll just paint in the tags.

Thoughts?

tassieguyArtGalanweshaHondoRWA_Time_To_PaintdencalForgivenessLeafgazer_Dirtfoot

Comments

• the painting looks better than the photo! i like your version of the grass too!
    May be the shadows where the paws of the dog are sinking into the grass can be adjusted to make things easy to understand. For example when i saw the painting at first i was confused  why there are shadows on either side of the paw when there's sunlight from one direction.
    emaz
  • Yes, I was thinking the same thing in the paw imprints. Just darker with less detail I think.
  • Very, very good @emaz. Excellent draftsmanship. 
  • Wonderful painting.  Your grass looks great to me.  The ref photo shows that dark patches of ground underneath your cutie pie puppy I think because the grass is thicker in those spots.  I would remove those shadows and put more shadow at the feet of the dog closer to the viewer.  Very nice. 
    emaz
  • emazemaz -
    edited April 11
    What can I do with her white chest fur? I started to paint a place for her tags, but as you can see in the photo they disappear in to her fur. I’m not sure if I should do that. And if I don’t what do I do with that whole area? It looks messy to me right now. Suggestions?

• Wonderful painting.  Your grass looks great to me.  The ref photo shows that dark patches of ground underneath your cutie pie puppy I think because the grass is thicker in those spots.  I would remove those shadows and put more shadow at the feet of the dog closer to the viewer.  Very nice. 
    Thank you so much. I think those dark spots in the grass by her paws are indentations which then picked up a very dark shadow because of the angle of the light. I’m not sure if I should keep them. I’m more concerned with what to do with her white chest fur.🤔
  • Wow! I knew this thanks to Mark but I retook that last picture because I was wearing a bright orange shirt. Look at that crazy difference in the colors just because of that. 
    Marinos_88Forgivenesstassieguydonnchadh4
  • I love doggie portraits. This one is looking great. I really get the feeling of sunshine and shadow on the grass :)
  • This is not a negative on your painting. I always look for the best crop. Especially for a portrait. I like head and shoulders for people and dogs.

emaz
  • I like the way that there is shadow on both sides of the paws. It gives the grass a certain fluffyness and it gives the pup some weight. Hard to believe that this is your second painting. good work.
    tassieguyemaz
  • Yeah, the white paws with shadows around them look great. They give depth to the grass.
    emaz
  • Thanks for the comments. Yeah I believe the dark section in the back of her paws are not really shadows but an imprint, she had moved her paws. I had to darken them because they aren’t really shadows. Well I guess they are in a way, but they’re different than the regular longer shadows.

That’s one of the things I’m learning. You don’t have to understand all the physics, they work themselves out. You paint what you see. 

I’ve learned a lot from marks videos. And from you all. And I think if I had to point to just one thing it’s this: just paint the shapes. It’s the easiest thing and the hardest thing to do at the same time. And that’s why I’m obsessed with painting. I’ve been looking through my photos for my next painting and I’m finding that I’m getting really picky. Most photos don’t really make a good painting. And now I need my next fix, you know? Lol

I saw this really awesome photo of a city street in the rain on Facebook. I really really wanted to paint it. So I messaged the photographer asking for permission and never heard back. 😔 So I’m still in that weird phase of searching for my next painting. I have some of my own really incredible photos of amazing Arizona landscapes, but I’m looking for something that just screams “paint me”. So yeah I’m also learning how important your choice of subject matter is.