Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

WIP - Looking Down on Knock Lofty - 20" X 42" - OOC.

edited April 6 in Post Your Paintings
The is a couple of hundred meters from the summit of Kunanyi which is the name of "the mountain" here in Hobart. The name "Knock Lofty" in the title refers to the bright blue hill at far right. It's called Knock Lofty and is quite high as it's name implies but it's dwarfed by Kunanyi. 

It was a bright but overcast summer day so there are no patches of bright sunlight and dark cast shadows.

This is still a WIP. I will be doing some more work on the group of rocks in the lower third of the painting because I got bogged down in detail and I need to simplify them. 

Comments/suggestions/critique all very welcome. I'd be particularly interested to hear whether you think the idea works overall. I worry that it tends towards the "pretty picture" genre which in gallery circles is the kiss of death. 

Thanks for looking and commenting.  :)

Rob 

KingstonFineArtcritterisfunDustin_CropsboyGTOanweshageoffrey_38BuckyEJCcustomsArtGalkaustavMRoxyGary_Heath

Comments

• I forgot to mention, this photo was taken at night with my phone so not the best. When the painting is finished I'll take it outside and take another photo with my camera in sunlight. 
  • I think it’s great Rob. I wouldn’t say it falls under the heading of “pretty picture” at all. I actually prefer this one to your last one, and I thought it was superb. You’re rolling along great with this mountain series!
    tassieguy
  • That’s beautiful work.  You make it look effortless.  The composition moves right and then out to the view of knock lofty.  
    tassieguy
  • this is so beautiful @tassieguy !  especially love the details on the rocks... my personal favourite in this series too! 
    I didnt get what you meant by the pretty picture and why is it the kiss of death? 
    tassieguy
  • edited April 5
    I really enjoy the composition with this one. My eye is always pulled back into the image. Rule of thirds  working to great effect. With, as always, skillful painting, original technique and creativity.
    tassieguy
  • edited April 6
    Thanks very much @HondRW, @GTO, @anwesha and @geoffrey_38

@anwesha, with Modernism and Postmodernism the art world moved to abstraction. Abstract expressionism dominated throughout the twentieth century. The critics fell over themselves to give the most acid criticism of anything that had a recognizable subject.  To them, there were too many pretty pictures in the world already. Anything that looked like a traditional landscape was derided as, boring, passé, just a pretty picture. Commercial galleries try not to be passé - they want to be avant garde and so even the ugliest and most outlandish rubbish became the norm. Thankfully, there were a few good galleries who kept one or two realist landscape painters in their stables. I think the situation is improving and that landscape realism is making a tentative comeback. But pretty things that look like something out of a tourist brochure are still not liked by the critics and galleries. They want something different. This is where my reference to the "pretty picture" genre came from.   :) 
    geoffrey_38anwesha
  • edited April 6
    tassieguy said:
    Thanks very much @HondRW, @GTO, @anwesha and @geoffrey_38

@anwesha, with Modernism and Postmodernism the art world moved to abstraction. Abstract expressionism dominated throughout the twentieth century. The critics fell over themselves to give the most acid criticism of anything that had a recognizable subject.  To them, there were too many pretty pictures in the world already. Anything that looked like a traditional landscape was derided as, boring, passé, just a pretty picture. Commercial galleries try not to be passé - they want to be avant garde and so even the ugliest and most outlandish rubbish became the norm. Thankfully, there were a few good galleries who kept one or two realist landscape painters in their stables. I think the situation is improving and that landscape realism is making a tentative comeback. But pretty things that look like something out of a tourist brochure are still not liked by the critics and galleries. They want something different. This is where my reference to the "pretty picture" genre came from.   :) 
    Turners and Constables paintings turned into cookie tin lid art or place mat art for putting your dinner plate on. Turners was more abstract but was still representational to a certain degree. Ism's pff. If you're expressing yourself with a joy in painting it will show in your work. Be it pretty or not. Thankfully, though I am not at this level, in today's society we can eliminate the gallery curators desires and sell direct online. However, nothing beats having a series displayed in full under professional lighting, both for the artist and for the witness of the work. Trends come and go, to quote Shirley Bassey - "its all just a little bit of history repeating".

tassieguyanwesha
  • Very impressive @tassieguy. Love the format too. This series will have a great success i'm sure :)
  • edited April 7
    Amazing moody landscape. What it needs is a viking in there?  :)
  • Thank you, @kaustavM. We don't have much on the way of Vikings down here.  Perhaps a Tasmanian Valkyrie flying though the air would do the trick.  :)
    kaustavM
  • For me this is this pick of your mountain series so far. The composition is perfectly balanced and captures the landscape perfectly. Bet you it sells in a flash. 
  • Thanks, @Roxy.

It's finished now so when we get a sunny day (not likely for a few days) I'll take it outside and photograph it with my camera.

There's snow forecast on the mountain down to seven hundred meters over the next few days. That's halfway down the mountain.  I'll be back up there to get some shots of it. If they don't close the road.   :)
  • So great! I really like how my eyes flow so easily from the up close terrain to the distant fading ranges and back. This is going to be such a great series! 
  • Thanks so much, @Bucky. It's like I'm still feeling my way with this new series but I'm happy that folks seem to think the painting works.  :)
  • Rob,
    As always your sense of proportion and detail are amazing. Overall I think the picture works. I would love to see some sunny shadows up there, but I know this is the day you chose. Looking as a value mass, the green foliage in the foreground is very homogeneous. I think a closer look would likely show a lot of color/value  variation in there but I just don't get it with my kit. The aerial perspective works well and the eye flows up the hill and out into space very nicely. Great job!
  • Thank you, @Freeman.

In this view one species dominates and I guess that accounts for the lack of variation. I'll be doing some paintings with sunshine and shadow showing areas where the vegetation is more varied - lots of different greens and reds foliage.  :)