Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

new wave 14x18 inches (newer 18x24")

edited April 15 in Post Your Paintings
I kind of rushed this towards the end but I also don't mind the wave not having the too much detail/focus on it.
(Edit: maybe I will fix the wave, looks a bit to simplistic in comparison to the rest now that I've been looking at it)

Hope it's interesting to people looking anyway  :)

ArtGaltassieguyCBGSecondSarahBuckyhjgalbraithEJCcustomsKingstonFineArtAllieHondoRWHunter1Leafgazer_DirtfootGary_Heath

Comments

• This reminds me of parts of Chileano Bay northeast of Cabo.
    Your wave paintings are fantastic.  Keep them coming.
    donnchadh4
  • Though as opposed to puting up a new posting I'd post it here... Did a 18x24"
    Slightly more details (first one sold so I thought I'd do it again, for fun).

GTOCBGArtGalHondoRW
  • @donnchadh4
    Lost in the sky.
    You lost the energy of the first. Mostly by making such a sharp horizon and less explosive wave. The story is the wave.  The Wave.
    I hope you don't mind… I cropped the painting to a 2 x 3 ratio ( 20 x 30) from a 3 x 4 ratio. To focus on the immediate. The power. The water pouring down the face of the rocks on the right. 2 x 3 is a powerful rectangle.

donnchadh4
  • Thanks @KingstonFineArt I agree with the horizon line, I couldn't see what was annoying me about it, I'll fix that. But the cropping I'm happy enough with, even though the sky has little to nothing in it it's important in landscape.
  • @donnchadh4
    I think it's sort of universal. We think we have to put everything in the landscape. The point of interest is so often missed. I suffer from this affliction.
  • @KingstonFineArt true. I find it better to put the horizon line midway depending, if there is enough of a focal point in the foreground. This is more about the place than about the rock. I often find being somewhere like that you tend to look out towards the horizon to get a better sense of place. 
  • @donnchadh4
    I always try not to brake the canvas in half. Especially where the visual is dynamic. It slows the eye and is more tranquil. Having the scale of the action dominate tells a grander story.
    When I show horizons in my boat and landscape paintings they generally aren't straight. I do this to add movement to a tranquil scene.
  • @KingstonFineArt Yeah, a lot of this is down to preference, this is more of a scenic picture than a study, so forcing people's eye towards the rock doesn't allow them to experience the surroundings like they would being there, in my opinion. Sometimes it's better to let them explore the painting than to show them what you want them to look at straight away. I usually stick to the rule of thirds (as it easy), juxtaposed objects in a composition, but can't remember who said it, but every artist has broken the rules at some point in their career. That's interesting what you say about your horizon lines, I'm usually always the one out with a ruler measuring both sides of the canvas, lol.
  • Awesome work @donnchadh4. I like the look of the cropped one by @KingstonFineArt
    donnchadh4
  • I think I agree with @KingstonFineArt the cropped one looks more dynamic.  The wave feels closer to me too.
    donnchadh4
  • @HondoRW thank you, as to the cropping I think it would cut across the canvas too much makes the rock to central. Composition wise I would find it much too obvious a crop.