Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

WIP “Winter Twilight” 16”x20” -- Complete

BuckyBucky -
edited March 29 in Post Your Paintings
Still have a few things to work on, such as the row of trees on the left, but as I near completion, I’m wondering if the thing is just too darned gray? 

I have a thought of experimenting with adding a little color such as hint of sun bursting through on the horizon? 

Can’t tell if that’s worth trying or if I’ll create all kinds of problems (The photo source is all gray as painted).

Any input on that or anything else appreciated. Thanks for looking. 

CBGArtGaloilpainter1950MichaelDGary_HeathdavidjmechanicAlan_Cangemi

Comments

• edited March 27
    @Bucky, I don't think it's too gray. It's a snow scene on an overcast winter evening. It's in keeping with your style. I love the way you've captured the light at the entrance to the building and from the windows. I wouldn't worry about the burst of sunshine.

There's a slight problem with the verticals at the front corners of the building. Easy to fix.

I look forward to seeing how you finish this.  :)

• CBGCBG -
    edited March 27
    @Bucky

I really like this one, my main suggestion is to try to amp up the contrast between the brightness of the windows/lights and the evening darkness...

I suppose I'm really suggesting you wait another 3/4 hour into the evening  :)

I love the contrast one actually sees between the bright warm windows and lights of a farmhouse like you painted against a cold grey night.  This to me is about the warmth of family, shelter, (humanity and the power of fire) against the elements.  Don't add a sunset!  The blanket of clouds and sky is sublime.

One other suggestion... about the yellow snow.   The value of that yellow should be perceptibly lighter than the snow it is on to cue that the color shift is due to added light, rather than something else in the snow  :)

Good job so far, love the feeling of this!
  • GTOGTO -
    edited March 27
    It looks good as is.  Don’t add any burst of light.  The only thing that I wonder about is the foot  tracks in the snow.  I think it would look better without them.
  • Thank you @tassieguy Yeah, probably best to leave the idea of adding sunlight on the horizon as a fleeting thought. Glad you think the gray works. 
    I'm curious what specifically you see as an issue with the verticals at the front of the building. Something doesn't feel quite right to me there as well but I haven't been able to figure out what exactly it is. Thanks!
  • Thanks for the suggestions, @CBG I agree more contrast would be good in terms of feeling the warmth in the lights. I've been struggling with the best way to do that -- whether I should amp up the lights, or amp up the darkness, and I think adding a bit more darkness could be the answer. 

And totally agree with you that the yellow reflections on the snow needs a lighter adjustment.  Right now it looks like the kind of yellow snow one wouldn't want to eat. ;) Sorry, bad joke. 
    CBG
  • Thanks, @GTO. I've been torn about whether to keep the foot tracks. I ultimately think they could be a bit distracting.  I'll probably take them out. 
  • edited March 28
    @Bucky, they lean to the right slightly. It's not much but it makes a difference.  Easy to fix. :)

I'm inclined to agree with GTO re the tracks in the snow. I know they are pregnant with meaning but compositionally they are problematic. Spatially, the picture is more balanced and seems calmer without them.  :)
  • Yes, that makes it pretty clear!  Thank you so much @tassieguy
    And, yeah, I agree about the tracks, going to take them out. 
    tassieguy
  • CBGCBG -
    edited March 28
    Bucky said:
    Yes, that makes it pretty clear!  Thank you so much @tassieguy
    And, yeah, I agree about the tracks, going to take them out. 
    Well, don't be too hasty!

It might be possible to include something with less detail, perhaps suggested with larger strokes and in a more meandering or curving path, or elsewhere in that white foreground, purposefully planned to help the composition rather than cause problems...  a possibility to consider before removing all interest and any eye leading potential device in that foreground area. 

That said, it might be that after having thought about it you will still conclude that there is no solution there...   :)

• Wow. I really like this @Bucky. And I totally agree with others to leave the sunrise out. It would detract from the atmosphere you’ve captured. Great job!
  • Thanks, @HondoRW really appreciate it.
  • BuckyBucky -
    edited March 29
    I think I’m getting close to overworking it so I’m about ready to call it done, but if anything stands out that needs attention, im keeping the paint on the palette for another day or so. 

I decided to take it a little later into the twilight by darkening the sky and snow so as to create greater contrast with the warmth of the lights, which I like better -- but is the sky too purple? 

Still not sure I have the correct value of the light’s reflection on the snow from the two windows, if anyone has thoughts on that. 

Thanks for looking and thanks for the input along the way, everyone! 

HondoRW
  • CBGCBG -
    edited March 29
    @Bucky

This is a greyscale conversion of the image of the painting. 

I suggest bumping up the value in areas where added light is falling on or reflecting from the snow.  The other option is to just remove the yellow tint in the snow.

I like the sky.  Overall a very nice painting.
  • Perhaps remove the yellow tint that you have from the two small windows in the snow.  The light from the windows didn’t need to be yellow.  a lighter shade of gray would be all you need.  Or no light on the snow from those windows.  It doesn’t bother me if there’s no light from them on the snow.  The entrance lighting is the focal point of interest.  
  • Yeah, I agree with you @CBG and @GTO probably just best to get rid of the yellow/orange tint in the snow as I just can't seem to find a way to make it work. Maybe just the slightest hint of it, if at all... 
    CBG
  • Looking good, @bucky. I agree about the yellow on the snow. It needs to be lighter in value than the snow around it and less yellow. Or not there. If you keep it it should be roughly rectangular in shape like the windows. 
  • CBGCBG -
    edited March 30
    Bucky said:
     I just can't seem to find a way to make it work. 
    @Bucky

Can't?  Although I'm a novice, even I can see that if you can paint that whole scene, you surely can make those little spots work.

The snow everywhere is blue grey, what's preventing you from mixing up a color which is a lighter version of a mix between that blue-grey and the yellow light in the window?

I suggest you remove "can't" from your vocabulary when speaking of things you clearly are capable of!

:)

PS: I suggest only keeping the direct illumination .. i.e. casting of light from the windows onto the snow, and give up on suggestions of reflections in the snow/ice.

Now I'll just say no more, except: Good Luck!!
  • Thanks @tassieguy I agree.

Thanks for the encouragement, @CBG :) I think the reason I've had a hard time getting the right value and color of the light from the windows onto the snow is a painting wet on wet issue. I seem to get the right color mixed but when I put it on to that snow color, it shifts and changes. Going to cut it out for now and maybe I'll take another shot at it sometime when the snow paint dries. 
    Thanks again

CBGtassieguy
  • @Bucky
    This is your work. Stand by it. I see no need for correction or changes. This is an honest piece of work.
  • edited March 31
    "Shit, everyone get in the house before the blizzard hits", said the male driver. 
    "You can stay out here and clean up your mess. Learn to drive!", said his wife.
    "Mumble, mumble, yes dare", as he got the shovel from the boot.
  • This painting shows the vast aspect of nature with the big sky and broad fields and the human element that builds shelter for protection from the elements.  The night represents the inner world of the individual and a feeling of isolation from nature.  
    It’s a lonely feeling but there is something bigger expressed here.
    CBG
  • I think your colors and values are working well.  Overall, the brushwork seems constrained with similar edges. Perhaps variation in edges, particularly in the distance. 
  • Thanks @PBarrie Yeah, I was focussed pretty heavily on trying to get the colors and values right and not quite focussed enough on the brushwork. 
  • It is going to really good when you're done. I Lready like it. Great mood to it