Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Dealing with multiple galleries advice

Hi everyone!
So, I have a question for people represented by galleries..
The main (and only to this point) gallery that I deal with does not have an exclusivity agreement with me. I recently took a series of paintings (4) that have been there for 3+ years and not sold back. They were starting to be rarely displayed and figured it was time to take them back. 
I contacted another galley about their interest in selling them and they are very interested. However, their general client budget is much lower than my other gallery, so I cant price my paintings as high. I am fine with that since at this point they are 4 years old and I am ready to be rid of them, but I am also aware of the danger devaluizing my work. In the same respect, its not like I am some super famuos artist that everyone knows about... Is it okay to use another gallery as my sort of "discounted work" gallery with out stating that publicly? 

Side note:
Hope everyone is well! I haven't been able to jump on DMP for a while. I got sick and was hospitalized with covid... diagnosed with Acute Respiratory failure with Hypoxia! It was very scary for a while, especially with two young kids and a husband at home. Thankfully I fully recovered and am trying to get back to work. Never fails! Seems SOMETHING always gets me behind the 8ball come the new year!! 
Anyway hope everyone is well and hope to be more active in the forum again! 

Comments

• Oh My! So glad you've gotten well. Take a rest.

Business is business you owe nothing to the gallery that didn't sell your work. But don't burn bridges. You are lucky you have a choice. Take advantage of every opportunity. It is not a great time for selling art. Unless you are selling at the very high end.
  • Glad you made it through the covid infection.
  • edited March 3
    Hey, @JessicaArt, so glad you're back. You're the second member here (that I know of) who has had COVID.  It's good to hear that you're up and running again.

Your question about the gallery is an interesting one. I agree with @KingstonFineArt that if the gallery is not selling your work, and if you don't have an exclusivity clause in your contract with them, then there's no legal problem in putting them in another gallery. However, I would ask your current gallery if it's ok with them if you sell them elsewhere. You don't have to tell them where. 

It's not unusual for galleries to have artists work in the stock-room for quite a long time. My gallery has had a couple of mine for over a year. Every now and again an old one will sell - usually when a client is looking for work by me or work with a particular subject - trees or rocks in my case. Probably equine subjects in yours. However, as you've mentioned, and as your gallery would probably tell you, you do run the risk of devaluing your work if you sell down-market. But if that is not a concern and you really want to sell them then sure, take them elsewhere if you think they'll sell there. 

As Kinston said, it's not a great time for selling art anywhere with COVID and folks out of work. But this will hopefully improve soon now that we have vaccines. 

Good to see you here again, Jessica.   :)
  • @JessicaArt !!!   I am so happy to see you but also so sorry to hear about your illness.  I do hope you are better and well on your way to health. It looks like you're getting great advice, I'm just happy to see you.
  • Oh oh my! So sorry to hear of your illness. Glad you are back. I have enjoyed your work posted here. I’ve switched to watercolor painting and haven’t posted here for over a year. As a heart transplant patient, I find making art is a very effective therapy in a battle with depression. Your paintings elevate my spirits as well. Keep it up😎
  • I’m pleased to hear you are recovered @JessicaArt

:) 
  • so glad you're better!
  • edited March 7
    Perhaps do some new, smaller works or in a completely different medium or style, such as Plein Air, for the new gallery and keep some stuff in the old one too, as long as both are OK with that.
    If you have a following already or  you are trying to build your name, my advice is to NEVER reduce the published price of your art. If anything you would want to raise it slightly every year if you are trying to build credibility and a clientele. I am OK with telling a gallery owner that they can give a verbal offer of a discount to repeat customers, multiple painting buyers or designers and such. Discounted art is the kiss of death. I will never put my art in a gallery that has advertised "sales" even if it is only one or two artists who are bargain bin pricing their art, or where the prices are crossed out and discounted on the wall tags. That just screams unprofessional to me.
    If you do not currently have much of a following and / or you haven't been selling well for several years, and you feel like perhaps your art is over priced, then a price correction might not do too much damage, but if you chose to re-align pricing, don't ever do it again. I think a better approach rather than cutting prices, would be what I mentioned above, do some quite different or smaller stuff at lower prices. For example, my 11x4 and smaller watercolors are priced at about $4 / square inch and my oils are $8 / square inch. Nobody, including gallery owners has ever said anything about it. I would talk to every gallery owner that is selling your work before doing any price adjustments. Another thing I feel strongly about is that all of your paintings should sell for the same general price for similar mediums and sizes, no matter where they are, even on ebay, so if your work is priced too high for a gallery you are very interested in, something has to give.
    Lastly, don't be in a hurry to get rid of art that doesn't sell. If it is well done and you are pleased with it, you never know when a buyer might take it as noted by other people above. I have had stuff sit for years, then sell all of a sudden. It would be better in my mind to burn it or paint over the top of it rather than to "discount" it. 

( Disclaimer: My free advice has ruined lives and businesses, so take it with a grain of calcium carbonate. )

• edited March 7
    Glad that you're recovering! I had my covid days in July 2020. So, I'm the first mover in this. But it's good that you're recovering. Use oxygen during sleeping time.