Comments

• What an amazing find! I wonder what pigments were used. Ochre and red oxide are probably there.

Very interesting. Thank you, @Dustin_Cropsboy:)
  • I am fascinated by antiquities.  That is one amazing find.
  • Vulture
    scroll 
    Hand
    snake
    eye of Horus

I just thought I would reply in hieroglyphics  :)

Seriously though that is amazing
    Dustin_CropsboyAbstractionjudith
  • I recently further inquired into these pigments that the Egyptians used.
     Why their colors have kept so well for so long? Natural plant pigments.
     These appear like neutral colors to me.
     My next inquiry is, why did we choose mineral pigment rather than plant pigment to paint with?
     After all the Egyptians did well!🤣😂

kaustavM
  • Forgiveness

why did we choose mineral pigment rather than plant pigment to paint with?
    Many natural pigments are fugitive, or form weak films. Additionally they are tedious to make eg thousands of molluscs to make purple. Can be very expensive - Indian yellow —- cows urine fed on a diet of mangos, ultramarine — lapis lasuli from Afghanistan etc.

denis
    MichaelDForgivenessjudith
  • I love mangos, might just make my own Indian Yellow.

Im already sorted for Raw Umber    :D
    tassieguyForgivenessdencaljudith
  • Great pics, @Forgiveness. I think being closed up in a pyramid without sunlight in a very arid climate for a few thousand years might have had something to do with the longevity of the colours. Their art is wonderful. It's like snapshots of life (of the high born) from thousands of years ago. 
    Forgivenessjudith
  • edited July 24
    @Suez - Could you please share with us some sources for your claim?  To me, what you wrote seems to drift towards "lost secrets of the great masters." Also, more specific details would be great: which plant materials, exactly? used by whom? when? Without these details, someone reading your post could interpret this to mean all or most plant materials and be down the rabbit hole. 

It is important, at least to me, to not lead people astray. 

What are the authoritative sources you use? Mine are MITRA and artiscreation.
    Thanks.