Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

3D Printed Ear Still Life - Forgiveness' Blog - Painting - Color Wheel on Black Background. View

The 1st 2 drawings above are self explanatory. The 3rd drawing is my 2nd attempt at capturing the planes of the ear, this will assist me quite a lot later when I get to painting, and some info about brush strokes. There is no actual reference for rendering the planes of the ear, but it was strongly recommended to improvise, to come up with my own, given my previous experiences and studies of planes everywhere else in the human body. I didn't get enough simplification on my 1st attempt(not shown), but I think I got this time?, shown here.

My foundation for building up this oil painting comes next, color washes block-ins.
tassieguyArtGalSecondSarahDustin_CropsboyGTOHondoRW

Comments

• @Forgiveness
    You are showing a futuristic tendency with the planar drawing. ;)
    Forgiveness
  • edited February 20

I have laid in these washes using linseed oil as my medium, over previously stained canvas. The colors I have are as follows, my mix of red with pthalo green for the deepest part in the background, cyprus burnt umber warm, yellow ochre, cobalt blue. I need to let this dry 2-3 days I hope, the cobalt blue seems slower to dry than the others, maybe too much linseed oil in that area? I'll see what I have tomorrow. I've really struggled over proportions in this, but I seem to have worked it out. I hope that these color washes are not too strong, the dark areas and the cobalt blue areas are ok with me. Hopefully this will be dry tomorrow and I've settled on 11" x 14" format on this attempt. I should have copied my charcoal drawing above to keep that format but this is still ok. This is so much easier and a pleasure to paint this while standing.

I'll be thinking setting myself up to start painting next, I see nothing but semi-neutrals and neutrals in this.
    Dustin_Cropsboy
  • edited February 20
    It turns out that I used too much linseed oil in the cobalt blue area. I've wiped it off & I'm redoing that area with dry paint straight from the tube, spreading it thin with paper towel, if I get to do this early enough today it will be dry by tomorrow. If left as it was, it may take 3-5 or more days to dry. All other areas on this are dry already.
  • edited February 20

This will add a little more punch to it, and should be dry overnight.
    KingstonFineArt

• Hi everyone! great to be here! I've been so very busy in and out of the studio, working nights since March to keep safe. I'll be getting vaccinated very soon!
     Today I have my 3x fresh batches of primary semi-neutral colors, to be divided and mixed to make my 3x primary neutral colors. These will be tubed sometime today as well, with my last 3 tubes on hand. I don't use the 12 first primaries (already previously mixed) very much, so I borrowed paint from those for my semi-neutrals etc., and I have enough left over to get along well for a while.
     I have progressed on the Ear Challenge but I really just couldn't get along without these colors and not quite ready to post today. I'm recommitted to painting in my studio with very soon a new easel (refurbished) to work with that is also more efficient than my present one. Looking forward.
     I hope that things are relatively ok and well for everyone.
    KingstonFineArt
  • edited March 18

These all of my new mixes!, slightly different than the color wheel above.
     The bottom row shows my 3x primary semi-neutrals indicated with the no. 5 beside the letter. My 3x primary neutral colors indicated by no. 3 beside the letter. These 6 are my most important and most used colors on my palette. Now ready for much more painting to come for a little while. And I already have a plan to soon purchase more paint & tubes. Now ready to roll! (btw, if you open these photos in a new tab, the tubes appear full size)
    KingstonFineArtGTOHondoRWdencal
  • Very interesting process you’re going through @Forgiveness. Looking forward to following it. Sounds like you buy your paint ingredients in bulk and then mix and tube it yourself?
    Forgiveness
  • edited March 19
    Thank you @HondoRW, I used 6x tubes of paint to get all of this by 2 separate purchase orders, because of budget restraints. I ordered my 30x 14 ml tubes online, and I have now used them all up. I know that this math doesn't add up somehow but, the full 14 ml tubes contain 25 ml of paint, carefully measured and properly crimped that includes 3x folds on the end, and they remain sturdy and strong. I have little leftover from over mixing in the end, no tubes remaining here, so I have that stored under water in small glass jam jars sealed with the lid. Before this process above began, I had to mix my own primary yellow and primary red, and tube those, 3x 14 ml tubes of yellow, 6x tubes of red.
     It requires a committed effort, no stops through the process, this is a lot of wet paint to manage with a priority to keep as fresh as possible. My mixing palette has a cover that seals well, but still has limits. Once the tube is filled and sealed, all is well. These look like very beautiful colors, good mixes, looking forward.
    MichaelDHondoRW
  • Kudos to you for making that effort. 
    Forgiveness
  • edited March 19
    Lol! I made a mistake, my 12 primaries look like closer to neutrals, it doesn't work. Lol! Luckily I can make the proper adjustments in the values of each color as they really "need" to be, with respect to the integrity of the 12 color full spectrum palette, which is to tune these up one value step higher than these. I will adjust the neutrals in the same way. I'm going to have to do my mixing as I go this time around 'cause no tubes on hand. So very grateful! Proper prep is so very important. Also good effective way to keep me in the studio during this pandemic. Lol! I will also be repainting my color wheel accordingly as well as I use it for reference frequently.
  • It turns out that my monitors were tuned too low for creating effective color, back to the drawing board! Lol!
  • edited March 25
    These colors are somewhat good on this wrong value table, but they need to be readjusted to the next value step higher on the value scale in order for these to be effective for painting, and to be painting full spectrum. These colors as they are here, make very dark looking oil paintings, which is what I have in my studio, including high contrast in paintings. I will be improving well when I come back with my proper palette. Please forgive the splotches appearing in this background, but the colors are good. Btw, I'll be ordering yet more paint & tubes in April, and begin everything over once again.

ArtGal
  • A sneak peak at what is to come next here, my new mixes for my 3x primaries "proper" values, yellow, red, blue, on the outside of the circle. I can clearly see 3x values that will set the proper values for the other colors to come. I can adjust the values of my semi-neutrals & neutrals primaries the same way, no worries. Now I'll proceed to complete my new color circle as a final step

• edited March 28
    @KingstonFineArt This is where I've progressed to, for the moment. These colors have been checked thoroughly against my color table, these are top notch in that way, however a voice inside me is saying the red-violet & the blue violet "values" need to change, I suggest I bring them closer to the middle between the violet, red & blue. The values of the red & blue should match perfectly, same with red-violet & blue-violet. On the other hand I may be off and need to bring everything up one value step higher than what I have here, I'm not quite sure. In any case, I am willing to keep going and work this out, even if it means that I have to start over with 1 more color wheel.

• @Forgiveness
    Follow this color map. Notice the full intensity The Dudeen Color Triangle from John Sloan's The gist of Art. The 

ForgivenessGTOHondoRW
  • edited March 29
    This is great, this is where my color mixes 1st came from, but I just didn't do it good enough in terms of values. The blue here is 2x  value steps lower than what I read in the previous color table. Now I'll readjust these accordingly, should be easy and simple from here. Looking forward.
  • edited April 7
    @KingstonFineArt When I checked my colors against the Dundeen triangle the color on the tip of my spatula blended perfect. Critiques, comments, observations, questions welcome, as I do have my own concerns regarding some of these values in this set of colors.

I'm willing to go through this exercise & give another try. My method of looking, seeing & perceiving these colors & values will be done by my eye, rather than color check against the Dundeen triangle on my computer screen. I don't know if this will work for me but I'm willing to give it a shot. I may also have to do this in a standing position to get more distance between me and the computer screen, in an attempt for a clearer perspective.

At this moment my eye see that the values for my yellow 7, yellow-orange 7 & orange 7 values are off. Also my yellow-green 7, green 7, and blue 7, are off as well. Furthermore, I see that my "yellow 5" is off, according to the color triangle it appears more like "green 5" & closer to "yellow 3". Although my blue 5 & red 5 are very good. Basically my yellow has to be of a higher value than what I have here. I believe that I can correct all of this by eye, rather than through color checking as I had been? I remain open minded & looking forward.
     I'm especially grateful that I haven't started to paint on any of my 40 prepared panels without my basic palette resolved. Lol!

• This is what I have at this moment, Here I'm simply looking at my screen reference and viewing the color as I'm putting it down without holding the color up to my reference with my spatula, so I'm doing it by eye, from a sitting position. If this is not working once again, I do indeed have 1 more view to present, done from a standing position at my easel & reference. Here I have included the view of 2 yellows simply to demonstrate I've lightened it 1 value step up for this color wheel. Last note, when I did indulge in color checking for curiosity, these did not match the reference on my screen, these are indeed 1 value step up from my last attempt for the most part, except for my few darkest hues here.

• edited April 7
    @KingstonFineArt Here are my latest adjustments, I basically brought everything up 1 value step higher than all of my previous attempts. The 2 yellows here are for comparison, before & after adjustment. The 12 primaries in my color wheel follows very closely the color wheel found in Famous Artists School, book 16 - Color-the theory & practice of painting, page 26. But in this book also, the yellow seems toned down quite a lot similar to the Dundeen triangle, compared to what I have here. Perhaps I need to adjust this as well? I may also have to adjust my yellow-orange & yellow-green adding more yellow to these.

• edited April 3
    This may be as far as I can take this step? Things to note, my yellow-orange is more yellow less orange on my easel, my semi-neutral yellow is more green on my easel as well, but the values here are good, everything else here looks great. I have deepened my yellow down 2 value steps from previous attempts. 

KingstonFineArt
  • edited April 6
    After some research and consultation on this matter, including consulting  a page that Judith Reeve had written on this topic of John Sloan's Dundeen Triangle and she gave an actual mixing recipe for his palette. I have tried it out and works absolutely great, very simple and very easy! But that is quite different than what I was blindly trying to accomplish here, which is not Sloan's palette at all. Sloan's palette is so much more subdued than what most of us work with on a regular basis. I've enjoyed expanding my knowledge and practice in the studio as a result as well. I will post both new color wheels soon, to demonstrate what I'm saying.
    KingstonFineArtArtGal
  • edited April 7
    @KingstonFineArt , Updated with a new much better photo.

This is John Sloan's palette, I followed Judith's recipe very near to the tee, & everything came together perfect and fast, no fuss, no muss. & I really enjoyed it all! Each of these colors are found in John Sloan's Dundeen Triangle, done perfect & fast. I have a new order of empty tubes on the way! but can't do anything for a new order of paint at this time though.

KingstonFineArt
  • edited April 7
    I have reviewed my colors since yesterday & changed the value in the yellow, yellow-orange, orange, & red-orange, I brought these up 1 value step higher. But this is a mistake because these no longer follow Judith Reeve's recipe & the original Dundeen Triangle. So I will change these back to what I had yesterday. I'm grateful to get myself sorted out on this and a new color palette to work with. It's awesome to discover & explore color palettes. This is a very good photo today, but I find greater justification when I step away from the computer screen 7 feet, for a better view.

• edited April 8
    I have brought this back to where it was yesterday, better than! & a very good photo here. This is my final on this at this time. This also appears that it would work well in watercolor!

From John Pope's Dundeen Triangle. 12x primaries, 3x primary semi-neutrals, & 3x primary neutrals, color recipes provided by Judith Reeve. 

• edited April 8
    This is my everyday color palette basically, my "go to palette". 12x primaries & 3x semi-neutrals. I'll add the 3x primary neutrals later today. Here, color is important & "value", the black background helps me to see the darkest colors and values better. A detailed explanation with color recipes are given in Famous Artists School.

KingstonFineArt
  • Dude! You have done it. Let's paint.
    Marinos_88tassieguyForgiveness