Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Portraits for comp

I love Marks' method and art itself. During the lockdown I painted 4 portraits and submitted them for a competition. Not one was accepted. Feel free to say what you hate or like. Hi Mark from Cirrus
Dustin_CropsboytassieguyRichard_P

Comments

• What are the particulars of them. Did you do them from life or photos? Are they your original imagery? Sizes? Surface? What was the competition? Competitions are always hard for various reasons.

They are okay for beginner work. A starting point.. They seem like acrylic paintings.
  • It can be disappointing to get passed over in a competition.  But competition judges can sometimes narrow their view too much. And different types of works get accepted at different competitions.  Keep painting  all three paintings show that you’ve got talent.
    Dustin_CropsboyArtperfection
  • You are brave for even entering a competition. I don't think I could do it. I like your paintings and agree with @GTO. Keep painting. Personally I struggle with hands. They subtlest details can make them look fake.
    Artperfection
  • edited February 10
    These show that you have a good feel for colour and design.   :)

Don't worry about being rejected for competitions. Happens to me and all other artists all the time. But keep painting and learning and entering competitions. Eventually you'll get accepted. :)
    Artperfection
  • I agree with Kingston. It is hard to give a critique without knowing more particulars and your objectives.  That said, from a position of realism, overall your colors look contrived and localized to the form their in, without relation or reflection to other forms and colors in the painting(s).  You have complicated your efforts by choosing figures to paint. IMO, to paint human figures well requires a great deal of figure drawing practice, preferably from live models.  There are reasons that Mark starts his lessons out with still life’s and a limited palette.
    KingstonFineArt
  • @PBarrie
    I have only one dispute with your comment. You mention that Mark's palette is limited. It has the three primary colors. All colors can be made from the three primaries. All values. All levels of neutrality. 
    I show how to mix a 12 color palette with Geneva paints.

https://forum.drawmixpaint.com/discussion/13011/a-geneva-12-color-palette#latest
  • @PBarrie
    I have only one dispute with your comment. You mention that Mark's palette is limited. It has the three primary colors. All colors can be made from the three primaries. All values. All levels of neutrality. 
    I show how to mix a 12 color palette with Geneva paints.

https://forum.drawmixpaint.com/discussion/13011/a-geneva-12-color-palette#latest
    Kingston, this is Mark Carders website. He has made a life for himself and his family through his own self taught technique. He kindly shares his insights for free, albeit in an entrepreneurial manner, and good on him for it! We all know how hard it is to make money as an artist. Mark declares his palette as limited in many videos.

I do not want to come across as rude but you seem to be belittling Mark's method in lot of your comments and in others works, even the video chat you had with Mark.

I understand that you are a trained artists, but many of the people here are looking for a way to learn from a master painter. His 'limited' palette is how he paints and recommends others to as well. Also, as with Mark's entrepreneurial requirements are the only colors he produces in his professional range of paints.

My point being, anyone can learn to mix most colors if they follow Marks tutorials. Artist jargon or lingo is lost on many when they are trying to learn Mark's disciplined learning method. I have to say that twice, Learning Method, as Mark often claims. Mark actually tells his students to not get side tracked by trying too many styles when learning. Be this a business rhetoric or an experienced insight is questionable, but has definitely helped me, and I would assume others, in learning to paint realism.

Mark always encourages students to let go of his method after 10 or 20 paintings (couple a hundred bucks if buying his paint). I feel comments in this forum should be encouraging with regards Mark's method when people are trying to utilize his teachings. It is fairly obvious when a painting is posted that does not follow the method but utilizes its fundamentals. These painting usually show creativity, individual flare and a confidence of technique, be it original or utilizing past or contemporary influences.

Take care.
    tassieguy
  • These paintings remind me of the winner of UK Portrait artist of the year 2020. 

She has a great method of simplifying compositions and putting in bold blocks of color to create form.

https://www.cassart.co.uk/blog/exclusive-interview-with-the-winner-of-sky-arts-portrait-artist-of-the-year-2020.htm 
  • Actually, I like these paintings and this style. :)