Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

from an Irina Mosina photograph

Comments

• Cezanne-ish.
    This image is a stock photo. It really should not be used as painting reference for posting in a public online forum. It's okay to do it for your own consumption. You must be explicit to where the image comes from and if you have permission. You should also note in the painting it's origin.

It's a good Cezanne not not a good copy of this photo.
  • This definitely has a Cezannesque feel. The lively brushwork makes it interesting. It's OK to use photos as long as we keep in mind that we are making a painting and not an exact copy of a photo. You did well in that respect. Best to use your own photos if possible or at least credit the photo when you use others'.   :)
  • @tassieguy
    Just because it’s not an exact replica doesn’t mean that it’s okay. 
    There is a reason for Shutterstock plastered their logo all over this image. It's their's to protect.

As a learning experience it would be more helpful to duplicate the set up. Learn about composition and the all important lighting. 

I understand that's not always possible so start small. Mark has given us all the tools to do this.

• edited February 9
    But, @KingstonFineArt , maybe @JackFrank1 purchased a license from Shutterstock to use the picture in artwork. I just had a look at their license agreement and it allows such use of their images. In any case, I was not saying that it is ok to use any image you find on the web or elsewhere without such an agreement or permission from the owner. I was saying only that it is ok to use photos as references for painting and I specifically said that it's best to use one's own photos if possible. I said this because just copying other's photos gives no practice in composition, lighting, etc as you rightly said. Of course, it's best to paint still lifes from life. Then there's no need for photos. But that's not always possible. In which case it's ok to use photos.

It may not even be possible for some folks to use their own photos. Some people may not be able to afford a good camera and a quality printer along with the considerable expense of having to constantly buy ink and photo paper or of having their photos commercially printed. And maybe they are disabled or maybe they have limited camera and computer skills. Or maybe they don't have the studio space and lighting to set up a still life. There are lots of reasons why folks may need to use other people's photos until they can take, edit and print their own. And, that's Ok, too, as long as they have permission and are not infringing intellectual property law. The important thing is to paint. 

Finally, @KingstonFineArt, when I said that,  "It's OK to use photos as long as we keep in mind that we are making a painting and not an exact copy of a photo" I was not implying  (as you implied that I was)  that if we change an image a little we can avoid copyright infringement. I was saying what I said, not what you implied that I was saying. And it applies whether we are using our own or someone else's photo. A slick copy of a photo is pointless IMHO.
  • @tassieguy
    All is true. Photos are certainly OK. Best if they're you own. That's why attribution needs to be made clear and up front. 
    How many times have we seen " I love the composition " and the painter had nothing to do with it.

There are lots of parks and public spaces to find live reference free. Even subways and buses. How about imagination. 

Yes it's important to paint. I'd rather phrase that to it's important to create.

tassieguyMarinos_88
  • edited February 10
    I agree with you there, @KingstonFineArt . It's so important to "create". It lets us know we ain't dead yet.  :)

BTW, words matter as much as colour, value and form. I know this is just an internet forum but what we want to say and how we propose to say it still needs some thought in order to avoid misrepresentation or the unnecessary ruffling of feathers.  It's all too easy to just dash off a response to a post (I've tripped up doing this myself) without having read the post carefully. The times I have tripped up were embarrassing and have made me more careful. I try to take special care with DMP newbies and beginners.  :)
  • This is very true.  @KingstonFineArt & @tassieguy At the present time,  my vision is bad.  Doubled.  I set my still life up, photograph it and draw from the photo.  It is very stressful to try to see at any distance. I do leave the set up in front of me so I can get up close and more accurately see shapes and colors.  I've been painting some fantasy stuff for my grandson.  No reference material needed.  We need to always be aware that not everyone can do things the best way.  Sometimes we just have to make do.
    tassieguyDustin_Cropsboy
  • You could try these two sites for practice photos:

https://pixabay.com/
    https://www.pexels.com/
    ArtGal
  • Jackfrank, I like the way you have interpreted the photo ref. Good value and color with expressive brushwork.  Well done IMO. 
  • Fabulous painting @JackFrank1. You really nailed those apricots.