Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

bags are packed I'm ready to go

I painted from a  I painted this from a  photo I saw of this model leaning on her suitcase,
because of the Covid 19 and the lockdown and not knowing when
we can on holiday I thought I would call it! ' bags are packed I'm ready to go'
painted in oils on a piece of cotton canvas 20 x 16 inches 
GTOdencalArtGalanweshaA_Time_To_PaintMelissa

Comments

• Well done!  I too am ready for a road trip to anywhere.  
    ArtGal
  • GTO said:
    Well done!  I too am ready for a road trip to anywhere.  
    Thanks, GTO, to get at least one comment gives me hope that
    I'm beginning to paint quite well. I love your artwork, sometimes I 
    find it hard to think what to paint next.
  • I find it difficult at times to choose a subject and then to compose it.  It can help (sometimes) to take one element from a previous painting and start with that.  For example in my case, music sheets, or egg shapes, etc.  
    I look forward to seeing your next painting.  
  • GTO said:
    I find it difficult at times to choose a subject and then to compose it.  It can help (sometimes) to take one element from a previous painting and start with that.  For example in my case, music sheets, or egg shapes, etc.  
    I look forward to seeing your next painting.  
    Thanks, GTO, I jump from one subject to another it seems like I'm always searching but I personally think diversity is better than constantly painting the same subject.
  • cbor47 said:
    Thanks, GTO, I jump from one subject to another it seems like I'm always searching but I personally think diversity is better than constantly painting the same subject.
    I couldn't agree less. You want to get good at something like people. Go to life drawing sessions. There is no better learning tool than drawing from the model. Still life? Build a shadow box and paint everything in your refrigerator. Eat it all then do it again. Landscape. Paint the woods, the fields the rivers and streams. Work from life, photos and memory. Study light. Natural and artificial. 
  • cbor47 said:
    I couldn't agree less. You want to get good at something like people. Go to life drawing sessions. There is no better learning tool than drawing from the model. Still life? Build a shadow box and paint everything in your refrigerator. Eat it all then do it again. Landscape. Paint the woods, the fields the rivers and streams. Work from life, photos and memory. Study light. Natural and artificial. 

cbor47 said:
    I couldn't agree less. You want to get good at something like people. Go to life drawing sessions. There is no better learning tool than drawing from the model. Still life? Build a shadow box and paint everything in your refrigerator. Eat it all then do it again. Landscape. Paint the woods, the fields the rivers and streams. Work from life, photos and memory. Study light. Natural and artificial. Hi

Hi Kingston, my point was about what next to paint, I'm constantly painting and I practice practice pratice and I enjoy what I do, when I post on post your paintings I do so for advice on my painting posted. I am an amature amature artist self taught who has sold a few paintings and have some of my paintings on show in a Gallery in Glasgow Scotland that said one always looks for advice never sitting on one's laurels nor will I ever think I'm an expert, the biggest influence to me has been drawmixpaint website, thanks for your comments, time to go to the fridge to see what's for lunch.
  • @cbor47
    My point is that you need focus. Amature or not you need to find focus. Like tassieguy has found a focus. Focus on portraits for a while. Join a couple of life drawing groups. Do timed drawing of heads hands and the like. Experiment with light and color while doing so. Learn composition with the figure. No better way. Follow up with still life experimenting with light and shadow. Try a few flower paintings - nothing harder. You'll start to learn to put yourself into your painting.

It takes practice with a focus. Practice with a purpose. You have skills. They need intention.

• @cbor47 I think you should paint whatever the heck feels good. Variety  is the spice of life. Sure, if you want to master a certain style, you will have to practice, but how do you know which style you want to master if you haven't tried them all? As long as you are painting, it's all good. BTW I like your work. Keep it up!
  • @cbor47 I think you should paint whatever the heck feels good. Variety  is the spice of life. Sure, if you want to master a certain style, you will have to practice, but how do you know which style you want to master if you haven't tried them all? As long as you are painting, it's all good. BTW I like your work. Keep it up!
    Thanks, Leafgazer, yes I always paint what excites me, and your right variety is the spice of life, I have seen the work of a Scottish artist who has made a fortune but he churns out the same subject week after week something I wouldn't like to do, it's not for glory, nor riches, nor honours I paint, but for joy and the beauty we can achieve and create, many thanks.