A cautionary tale

It's been a long time since I did a self portrait. I started on Fredricks sheet canvas. Junky stuff. I did a nice drawing in burnt Sienna wash that I liked. I made a glaze with Galkyd Lite and started glazing and the wash exploded!
I freaked and I realized what had happened. I use a mix of Gamlin Safflower oil and oms to keep my brush in working order. I realized that I hadn't washed out that brush . I'd just dipped in in the oms wash. That was 2 days ago. The surface is still very sticky and I'm sure I'll never be able to paint on it again. Simple acts of forgetfulness is part of my daily life. It's the little things.

I have a good photo of the wash drawing and a 24" Epson printer. A relic from my previous life. My plan is to print the sketch on digital canvas (It's real canvas) and finish the painting on that. You can print oils on this stuff but not acrylic. The sizing lifts and curdles  with acrylic. I've used the canvas to paint on. it's ok.

Here's the sketch it shows a bit dark here and below that is the contaminated sketch. I could start all overbite then it's a chore. I printed it. Looks great. I'm gonna give it a go if the original doesn't stabilize.

Comments