I've had this pomegranate in the studio for about a week. My wife just came down and asked where I got it. "Why the trash". I said. Uh Oh.
The other day I thought I'd do a sketch of this before I painted it. I was planning to paint it on a 6 by 6 pebble finish panel. I thought I'd do the sketch to find the color. A limited palette I thought. So I set up for using just the tertiary colors. Red Orange, Yellow Orange, Yellow Green, Blue Green, Blue Violet and Red Violet. The are made from primary and secondary after all. I made a quick 'recipe' . It took a few days but I got to it today. I took longer to set up than to paint. The funny thing is that I paint mostly with tertiary mixes relying on the secondaries for my darks and primaries only for bright tints. If I paint this I'll be adding Vermillion to the palette.
The top left below is a iPhone pic I took on Monday today is Friday. It's a bit unfocused and saturated.
Next to it is the sketch done from life I found the bulk of the color but it needs some solid darks and color highlights. I may do a finish in watercolor instead of oil. It just says "paint me in watercolor paint me in watercolor" Everything has been saying that to me lately. It's easier to limit color in wc.