Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Like or Awesome

edited January 13 in General Discussion
It's been a bit quiet here lately so I thought I'd post this for discussion.

Like     or  Awesome    ?

Do you struggle with the decision of whether to click the “like" or the “awesome” icon when commenting on work here at DMP?  I know I do at times. In some cases it’s easy because the painting really is awesome by any measure and I really like it. In other cases it's more difficult. Whilst one does not want to give false praise, if a painting posted here is not so good I sometimes still do give a "like" or an "awesome". Often, if a work was painted by a rank beginner and they’ve gotten a lot right then I will give a "like' or "awesome" to encourage them . I will also suggest improvements. So, not all works that I give a "like" or  "awesome" to are awesome by the standards I’d use to judge work by accomplished painters with many years of experience and even though I may not really like the subject or the colour or whatever I'll still click "like" if I think it's well done.

Do you think it is dishonest to take things such as how long a painter has been painting, experience, youth, age, disability etc. into consideration when deciding on what icon to award a painting? Or do you think it's ok to make adjustment for things like these?

:) 

Richard_PMichaelD

Comments

• I do the same, because I'm awesome!  =)
    kaustavMtassieguyArtGalMichaelD
  • Often I do the same. Awesome for something that delights me and Like for a  good effort. But if I can sense that someone has exceeded the boundaries, I provide an Awesome. This applies to the comments as well. 
    tassieguy
  • edited January 13
    Good to see I'm not alone in this. I think an 'awesome" relative to experience, number of paintings done, etc is ok. Seems "awesome" is not an absolute but a relative term. And one can "like" something a bit. :)
  • tassieguy said:
    Good to see I'm not alone in this. I think an 'awesome" relative to experience, number of paintings done, etc is ok. Seems "awesome" is not an absolute but a relative term. And one can "like" something a bit. :)
    @tassieguy what's absolute in art? :anguished:
  • Not sure, @KaustavM but I've seen works by masters that I would judge to be near enough to absolutely awesome by anyone's standards.  :)
    kaustavM
  • Degrees of awesome. Degrees of like. Seems easier to have degrees of like than awesome. It's easy to say... Boy I like that or I like that or I really like that or I kinda' like that.

But I kinda' awesome that or it's really awesome that or that's kinda awesome.. nah.

I think reserving awesome for awesome work is appropriate no matter the expectation of the viewer based on who posts. Degrees of like can be expressed as a comment or critique.

Maybe it shouldn't be a binary choice. Having 3 symbols might reduce ambiguity.
  • edited January 13
    Some decades ago, when I was teaching junior high school, I sometimes had to take on art classes when the regular art teacher was away. I taught Geography and French and knew nothing about painting or drawing. Art instruction at high school in those days usually meant art history with the occasional session spent painting or drawing a particular subject whether it interested the students or not.  I knew no art history so when I took an art class I resorted to free expression. That's all I knew to do with them. So I told them to relax and have fun and paint or draw anything they wanted.  They loved it. And I was often impressed with the results.

The kids would be around 12 - 14 years old. Quite often a kid would do a drawing or painting that I found "awesome".  I was impressed that a kid of 12 or so, with no formal training. could produce something so good.  Of course, it would be easy for some insensitive jerk to pick holes in the students efforts - maybe the perspective was slightly off, maybe the light was ambiguous or the colours were a bit too saturated, etc. But we're talking young folk here who had had no real art training. And yet sometimes their work was powerful enough for me to think, Wow! That's just awesome! And I would tell the student so. It may not have been old-master-awesome but it was awesome for a kid of that age to be able to produce such fine work and it was awesome for me to behold it. It doesn't seem dishonest to use "awesome" in such contexts. When it comes to art, I think "awesome" is a relative and qualitative rather than a quantitative and absolute term.  

I sometimes see really good work by beginners here. It might be only their first or second painting and I wonder how they managed it. I think such work is "awesome" even though there may be minor faults. It's good to give encouragement. It's also useful to point out things that could be improved. Doing both provides encouragement and impetus for further growth. "Awesome" does not seem like false praise in such circumstances.  :)  
    anwesha
  • @tassieguy
    When we post work in the Category 'Post your Paintings' maybe we should be more explicit on whether critique is welcome... Or... Ask for a private message for critique. I would prefer a separate category
    Post your Painting for critique.
    Post your painting you may get like or awesome or nothing
    w critique you get you may get like or awesome or nothing or others insights.

There's a pretty high standard with Mark Carder as the model to say you paint in the prescribed DMP manner. Draw which can be critiqued, Mix also and Paint also. Realism carries with is a few precepts. 

Gentle guidance and example to improvement is a good thing. I don't think it's very fruitful to simply say hey great job. Nor is it to say hey that sucks. 

We can't get to the levels we seek alone. 
    BBBtassieguy
  • That's interesting you started this topic @tassieguy i was recently thinking about it. i often struggle with the choice and more often than not choose an awesome just because  I think so many people posting their paintings do it more for encouragement than critique.  When they need critique or advice  there is an easy way to ask. It doesn't mean all my awesomes are fake though :) 
    tassieguy
  • I try to understand what the artist is trying to do in terms of expression and style.
    I try to set aside my subjective preferences and I also consider if they are a beginner or have more experience.
    Sometimes I regrettably make mistakes simply because I have not seen enough of their work to understand where they are coming from.
    I do find there is a lot to learn from all artists beginner or experienced whether they are using the DMP method or not.

tassieguy
  • @tassieguy
    I kind of do the same I think

:) 
  • @tassieguy , @kaustavM : you both articulated it so well, what goes on in most of our minds (mine for sure). For me its "awesome" for hard work/the artist's improvements from his last work/ the bravery in tackling some projects no matter the success/the composition if not the painting style/ the thought behind the work/ the happy, self inspiring attitude in the post (positivity)... sometimes i just feel the "awesome" for how the writeup makes me feel for the painting. 
    I dread "likes" though sometimes (not for my work but giving others) and in some circumstances prefer not give a anything even if it feels like a "like", especially when there are already few "awesomes" given to it... then i start thinking why dont i feel like giving an awesome, and go back to the writeup and painting to have a relook.... for me giving "like" is more hard work.  
  • When i get a "like" or give a "like" i want the person to know that i think he/she can do better in their personal capacity (because i've seen better from them) and not some general standard maintained for all. When we learn anything even though the general curve of improvement is upward over a longer period of time, every work we produce may not be better than the earlier every time, there are ups and downs , and hence the "awesome"s and "likes". for me :D 
    kaustavMtassieguy
  • @anwesha Like to me is an acknowledgement that a good work is produced and can be better. If I don't like something, i prefer not to speak about it. It's important to know whether someone is open to other people's ideas.
    anweshatassieguy
  • Maybe there should be a “great job” button to give recognition of a good effort and encourage? Based on the discussion above, it might be more accurate and useful than “like” by circumventing some inherent subjectivity of “liking”...
  • @Kaustav
    Agreed.
    It may be a good idea to either note that critique is welcome or have a second category Post Your Painting For Critique. Critique is a process of evaluating prescribed criteria. Critique on composition, technique, color, drawing, story and others. We shouldn't critique if we are not confident doing so. I have asked a couple of people if they would like criticism via message solveing having that discussion in public.

I can see if people only want to have the work liked and not critiqued. They are only wanting to share with fellow travelers. Makes perfect sense.

• @KingstonFineArt absoltely agree. I think mentioning 'critique is welcome' in the post is enough and many folks do it. I don't because I'm asking questions almost all the time  :p  (don't get enough answers though sometimes!).
    Some people don't feel comfortable being critiqued in public, they can look for personal messaging option here. This has been a great portal to us all and whoever's serious must use it fully till it's available to us. 
  • @tassieguy

As long as you honestly feel/think there is something "awesome" about the post, you can rest assured you are being honest when you choose "awesome".  Go with your gut... if the post is awesome to you, it does not matter whether it is because the message is inspiring, or the person painted the work in a snowstorm, or when you saw the work your jaw dropped.  When you feel something is awesome.... you very well know it.

When you just "like" something you'll know it too.

Go by your own standard and own your preferences.  No one could (or should) ask for more.

tassieguy
  • Thank you, @CBG. I agree. Well said.  :)
  • edited January 24
    This might be a little out of context but I am a board member for a community art center for outsider artists in Auckland New Zealand. Our internationally recognized resident artist has paranoid schizophrenia and paints really abstract pieces. Took me months to appreciate his work. It was not until I got to know him and his life's struggles that I could see his internal world projected onto large canvas's. Some of the artist within the community it is difficult for them to even express there appreciation of what one likes in their work. Just great to see people being creative and to have an escape from their internal demons. Nothing like art to help liberate people, to connect mind and body. So to bring it back to your question, "when you see it, you know it"! To quote the lady 1:30minute into this documentary. 

tassieguy