Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Cheating. Oil on canvas. 6.5X9 inches

A snow scene that I saw nine years ago and lost my photo references. So, recreated this out of memory.

GTOtassieguyForgivenessA_Time_To_PaintHondoRWMichaelDGary_Heath

Comments

• I like it.  However it might be improved with more blue and lavender in it.
    tassieguyForgiveness
  • This is excellent! I like the way you added the finer details. I very much encourage works from memory like this and I am very interested. I've been watching an artist friend do similar here in Canada, we both paint in quite a similar style he is more abstract than me, and he works from memory. His head is full of beautiful memories of where he has been. I am very interested in this because I too am filled with most beautiful memories of amazing landscapes and things I have seen in all 4 seasons here. I believe that I might want to pursue this method as well for many very good reasons, #1 being that my present style lends itself well to painting from memory. Maybe the key element to this is "abstraction"? With enough practice perhaps working with imagination to create paintings in realism will be easier too. This is great, enjoy!
  • Thanks @oilpainter1950 there was hardly any light on that day. Do you think violets and blues would still show up?
  • @Forgiveness well...I just painted this because I wanted to paint snow and there was no original materials at hand. All photos are inaccessible because of an external hard disc problem! It was a happy moment for me and my wife in the snow facing cold weather in Shimla and Kufri.
    This year really messed all my plans...wanted to go to Khajjiar pretty badly to paint the snow but I ran out of money in December and there's this new Corona showing up. I'm just hoping that I make this trip this year. So, painted this from memory to satisfy my urge a little.  :) 
    Gary_Heath
  • Yes, they would.  I'm not an expert, because it doesn't snow here very often, but that is what I've observed in past years.
  • It's snowing here now so I will give you a definitive answer shortly.
    kaustavM
  • How is that cheating. It’s brilliant. 
    Gary_Heath
  • This is great, @Kaustav. Definitely has the feel of snow. I don't know how you are able to imagine such scenes or how you get so much into such a small canvas.  :)
  • Thanks @KingstonFineArt I didn't see it from life and painted. Only thing that i have is a very old watercolor for the composition. rest is memory and experience.
  • tassieguy said:
    This is great, @Kaustav. Definitely has the feel of snow. I don't know how you are able to imagine such scenes or how you get so much into such a small canvas.  :)
    Thanks @tassieguy I wanted to paint snow pretty badly. Real thing is slightly better than what you see here but wasn't sure about the effect though.