Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

HAPPY NEW YEAR ✨

edited December 2020 in General Discussion
Happy New Year, everyone.  =)
ForgivenessanweshaMichaelDBabyStepsArtGalSummer

Comments

• Happy New Year! Now that we have me painting more in 2020, I will be painting even more in 2021.
    BabyStepsArtGal
  • happy New Year to you all fellow dmp members! best wishes to everyone :)
    MichaelDBabyStepstassieguy
  • Armageddon quite fed up of 2020, like most of us I suspect.

Happy New Year Y`all.

Lets hope 2021 is a good one

:) 
    tassieguyBabyStepsArtGal
  • Happy New Year to all of you. Hope we all have a successful 2021.
    BabyStepsArtGaltassieguy
  • Yes happy... hum. New Year yes. Thanks.
    Now I have to plow 8 inches of snow.
  • Wish you guys Happy New Year! 2020 wasn't the kind of year that most of us wanted. Let's hope this is a lot better than that.
    tassieguy
  • Thank you @kaustavM.
    Yes,  2020 was a sad year for millions affected by COVID and the disruption it caused. But now we have vaccines and so 2021 is looking more promising.  :)
    kaustavM
  • edited January 9
    @tassieguy To add to a Happier New Year,
     I shared the practice of dipping brushes in walnut oil, then wrap them in saran wrap and keep in the refrigerator with some new artist friends online here in Canada. Just to let you know! You are very well liked, many hearts and now people are leaving the kindest of comments. I love that practice myself quite a lot.

Take care!, I will be posting progress on my latest, here soon.
  • Thanks very much, @Forgiveness.

The walnut oil and saran wrap trick works great, doesn't it. I paint every day and have been using the same 12 brushes non-stop for more than a year and they still look great. Before, when I washed brushes in solvent they were like frazzled mops after a couple of uses. I won't let turps near my brushes now.   :)
    Forgiveness
  • And here is my practice, without refrigerator and wrap. I use cheap sunflower oil and paper towel after and before painting. However, I paint so rarely... 
    tassieguyForgivenesskaustavM
  • Looks good, @roman. Suspending them in oil like that is a good idea. Is sunflower oil a drying oil like linseed and walnut?
  • @tassieguy, sunflower oil is the most commonly used and cheapest in Ukraine. It dries very slowly. I didn't touch the brushes for six months and all is the same as I dipped them yesterday. This setup I made myself with material at hand. In my practice (I never had Carder's colours) mixtures with burned umber dry in few hours and damage brushes if not dipped in oil. 
    Forgiveness
  • Thanks so much @roman! I was just speaking with someone where walnut oil was not available for them where they live. So I suggested linseed oil, poppy seed oil, and now further suggested sunflower oil because of your shared experience here.
  • @Forgiveness, @tassieguy, I have to emphasise I use sunflower oil ONLY for brushes' care, it is NOT recommended to thin oil colours. I can see that the stain of this oil spilled a year ago remains very sticky. Linceed oil is the best one for painting. I also made sure that ordinary linseed oil from the supermarket, left in a transparent glass jar on a windowsill in a sunny place, in two years became completely colorless and transparent, without sediment, under the influence of ultraviolet radiation. Such oil is the best for painting itself or as a base for Carder's receipt. 
    Forgiveness
  • Thanks, @Roman. Yes, I thought it was not a good idea to use sunflower oil for painting. When you remove your brushes from the sunflower oil to begin painting how do you make sure all the sunflower oil has been removed from the brush?

I use walnut oil which is a drying oil as both a medium and as a brush dip because it dries more slowly than linseed oil.  :)
    Forgiveness
  • Thank you again @roman
    yes, you made this very clearly understood and I clearly communicated same with my new friends. Sunflower oil is clearly not for painting purposes, only for brush care. This is so kind of you! Looking forward.
  • Sunflower oil comes in different types. From Wikipedia:

Sunflower oil is mainly a triglyceride.[7] The British Pharmacopoeia lists the following profile:[8]

Four types of sunflower oils with differing concentrations of fatty acids are produced through plant breeding and industrial processing: high-linoleic, high-oleic, mid-oleic, and high-stearic combined with high-oleic.[2][3]

• High-linoleic, 69% linoleic acid
    • High-oleic, 82% oleic acid
    • Mid-oleic, 65% oleic acid
    • High-stearic with high-oleic, 18% stearic acid and 72% oleic acid[3]

The type that is high in linoleic acid is the drying type that will form a paint film:
    Drying oils consist of glycerol triesters of fatty acids. These esters are characterized by high levels of polyunsaturated fatty acids, especially alpha-linolenic acid. One common measure of the "siccative" (drying) property of oils is iodine number, which is an indicator of the number of double bonds in the oil. Oils with an iodine number greater than 130 are considered drying, those with an iodine number of 115–130 are semi-drying, and those with an iodine number of less than 115 are non-drying.

So sunflower oils that are high in polyunsaturated fatty acids (and low in monounsaturated fatty acids) on the composition label on the bottle are going to be the ones that 'dry'.

Forgivenesstassieguy
  • edited January 11
    Thanks, @Richard_P. Now I understand. How do get your head around  all that stuff. You should have been a scientist.  :)
  • romanroman -
    edited January 10
    @tassieguy, @ForgivenessIt is enough to carefully wipe the brushes with a paper towel or rag. The remaining small amount of sunflower oil does not harm anything. When I wrote "The Pass", even in the sky the darker places, where there was  a little amount of burnt umber, were dry the next day, although I add a small amount of clove oil to linceed oil. (As I proved fast drying process is not due to sunflower oil.This is a property of burnt umber, which can be fought with a large amount of clove oil or by purchasing Carder's paints) . As today the picture is in excellent condition.
    @Richard_P thanks for so detailed information. During my 72 years I didn't saw the bottle of sunflower oil with such information. I mentioned usual sunflower oil for cooking from supermarket and this is enough for brush care. I think every clear and odorless and cheap oil is good for this purpose.
    Dear guys, I am happy to hear from you. Stay healthy, happy and fruitful. 
    Forgiveness
  • edited January 10
    Thanks so much @Richard_P all of theses details are so very important to know and I'll be sure to add this info asap.
     In my own case the distinction between both in my local neighborhood is such that the best of these sunflower oils with high linoleic acid are most often found at a organic health food store, where as the other less favorable is available at the regular supermarket.

Peace to all! 
  • No problem. It's normally on the label like this: