Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

shadow box light

Sorry if this is already buried in the forums, but, what is the right bulb to use in a shadow box?

Comments

• geoffrey_38

5000k. LED. 2 units c300 lumens. Design adjustable apertures and neutral density filters, or fit a quality dimmer. Design for overhead or side illumination. Use white card or Aluminium foil reflectors to adjust shadow values.

Denis

• edited December 2020
    dencal said:
    geoffrey_38

5000k. LED. 2 units c300 lumens. Design adjustable apertures and neutral density filters, or fit a quality dimmer. Design for overhead or side illumination. Use white card or Aluminium foil reflectors to adjust shadow values.

Denis

Thankyou Dencal. Any ideas on where best to purchase such a bulb/s. You did mean to buy two? Are they specialty light bulbs or the run of the mill supermarket variety? Any links would be much appreciated. I have been having problems with having my highlights blow out on printing. So, I was pleased you mentions, as did my printing professional, using a neutral density filter. When you say adjustable apertures do you mean coming from the bulb/s?
  • Geoffrey_38

Any ideas on where best to purchase such a bulb/s.

Amazon, lighting stores, hardware stores, supermarkets.

You did mean to buy two? /

Yes, two bulbs150 lumens, switchable and dimmed.

Are they specialty light bulbs or the run of the mill supermarket var iety? 

Often labeled as cool or daylight.

Any links would be much appreciated. 

When you say adjustable apertures do you mean coming from the bulb/s.

Black foam board L shapes, adjusted to increase or decrease the light aperture.

Denis
    geoffrey_38
  • edited December 2020
    dencal said:
    Geoffrey_38

Any ideas on where best to purchase such a bulb/s.

Amazon, lighting stores, hardware stores, supermarkets.

You did mean to buy two? /

Yes, two bulbs150 lumens, switchable and dimmed.

Are they specialty light bulbs or the run of the mill supermarket var iety? 

Often labeled as cool or daylight.

Any links would be much appreciated. 

When you say adjustable apertures do you mean coming from the bulb/s.

Black foam board L shapes, adjusted to increase or decrease the light aperture.

Denis
    Thanks again Dencal. I am fine finding 5000k bulbs but the lumens always seem to be in the 1000 range. 150 lumens seems very dull, or 300 when combined. Is this how Mark achieves natural colors in his photographs?

What do you think of this?

https://www.photoshack.co.nz/product/30-35w-Fluorescent-Bulb-5500K

• geoffrey_38

The issue with SB light units is that it is only one to three feet away from the subject. Glare and highlight burnout can be a problem. Balancing whites can be impossible.

LEDs produce about 60 lumens per watt, so a couple of 3 watt units, or one 6 watt unit will produce 360 lumens. This should be ample to filter and aperture the light to a manageable level. (Or a dimmer).

Denis