Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

“After the Storm”, 24”x36”, oil on linen

edited November 21 in Post Your Paintings
I was working this one and just decided maybe I should stop here and leave it more abstract. I would appreciate any comments pos or neg. Thanks for taking the time. 
After posting, as usual I see some things I need to touch up. But let me know if you think something (or the whole thing) doesn’t work. Thanks again. 

Hunter1MayeolitassieguyArtGalGary_HeathWeatherford

Comments

• edited November 22
    I love the light on the trees and streak of light beneath them that stretches across the painting. The distant blue mountains are wonderful. This reminds me very much of pastoral areas in Australia. I know landscapes like this.

The one thing I would work further on is the clouds. I hate blending but this is one of the rare occasions where it could be considered. Those dark lines separating the billows of the clouds need to be softened. You could do this either by blending or by mixing and laying in intermediate values which, since this is quite a large painting, would be possible. Fix the clouds and you'll make this very good painting a fabulous painting.  :)
    Gary_Heath
  • Thanks @tassieguy. I agree with you about the clouds. One thing about posting here, at least with my stuff, is that the flaws really show up when I post something. In fact, I was so disgusted with the way this looked I wanted to delete the whole post but apparently you can’t do that without permission. So it’s a good thing that the flaws are magnified but the last few things I’ve done I’ve been pretty disappointed with after posting. I’m not fishing for compliments, I guess it just means I need to work on it. 
  • I don’t think you should give up on this one @HondoRW
    Rob is right about the clouds. Blending would be good. 
    I also think the colours are slightly harsh but that’s just my personal reaction. 
    Put it aside for a while and then come back to it with fresh eyes and you’ll know then what it needs. 
    But don’t give up on it because with a bit of tweaking , it could turn out the way you want it to. Think about what attracted you to the scene initially and try to highlight that aspect of it. 

• I think this painting has great potential. Keep working on it.
  • Thanks @Hilary. Sounds like good advice. I think I’ll take you up on it! 🙂
     Thanks @ChuckA. Good idea.