Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Technique book recommendations?

edited November 16 in Painting
Hi there everyone! I'm wondering if you all have any oil painting technique books that you recommend? I have "The science and practice of Drawing" by Harold Speed and I'm looking to buy his book on painting soon. I also have Lessons in Classical Painting by Juliette Aristides.

I'd love to know of any more books that go in depth about technique like how Harold Speed does.

Thanks!

Comments

• dencaldencal -
    edited November 16
    StephanHM

Loomis is tops, often available as a free download. Figure Drawing for all it’s Worth is outstanding.
    Reilly has excellent but careful construction techniques 

Online try Brian Proctor for rapid and simple figures. Karl Gnass for classical drawing technique.

For painting technique Mark Carder has lots of free amd low cost material.
    ‘Check out Videos and Tutorials button at the top of the page.

Perhaps something like this?

Denis

• edited November 25
    You can't go wrong with the Loomis  books.  Creative Illustration is a must,  And, believe it or not, Mark's method will carry you many, many miles.  Also, I strongly recommend the videos of John Howard Sanden.  His Color Mixing For Portraiture will be immensely helpful.  After you have struggled mixing color, especially flesh tones, you will see the wisdom of Sanden's method.  Finally, start searching Youtube for videos about how to mix the Zorn palette.  It's amazing how much you can do with so little.  Zorn and Mark Carder . . . two peas in a pod.

Edit:  If you like Sandens method and colors, let me tell you they are easier to mix using less color combinations than he does.  His darks, for example, are easily mixed using Williamsburg burnt umber, a bit of cad red light (very little), and Cremnitz white.  His neutrals are easily mixed as he shows, but they can also be mixed with Williamsburg's Italian Black Roman Earth and Cremnitz white.  Both work equally well.
  • Thank you all very much, I'll be referring to this thread when I'm book shopping later!

@broker12 thank you for the video recommendation as well, I'll be sure to look into John Howard Sanden.