Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Change in Direction

edited October 26 in Studio & Supplies
Hi guys, I'm thinking of going super cheap for about 2-3 years to focus more on training myself on the things that I do not know and social media. Although I'll do some bigger paintings once in a while but not like before. I want to keep the spending limited. If you feel any changes are needed to the list below then please let me know.

Following are the things that I'm going to do:
1. Sketchbook drawing with pen, ink, and watercolor. Already doing this and it is like everyday work.
2. Small oil sketches for portraits, flowers, foliage, animals et al. Are canvas pads good enough for practice paintings? I can attach them to a panel later if need be.
3. Finished charcoal drawings on A2 paper. I loved doing this years ago. Want to go back to it. Need to make a stratcher and buya fixative.
4. More regularity in chalk drawings on newsprint. 
5. Plein air oil sketches but not regularly. 

Apart from these, I wish to do more exhibitions in the galleries and expand my presence on social media for marketing purposes. If possible I will go for a pro dealer in sometime. 

2020 was not a total lossmaking year as I did many things and learnt a lot. I want to capitalise on those learnings. 

Comments

• Those sound like some very worthwhile areas to focus on, @KaustavM. Canvas pads are a good idea. I use them to test out ideas. If they don't work, the pads are cheap and so nothing much is lost by tossing a sheet in the trash.  :)
    CBG
  • @tassieguy Thanks for the clarification. Now, it will be like 2016 again...perfecting and learning. 
  • @kaustavM it’s good to have a plan but to also stay open to events as they unfold.  I like the list you put together it looks like you’ll be exploring foundational skills again.  Having a “beginners mind“ is a good thing no matter what level of skill your at.
  • @GTO Thanks. I'll be doing some finished bigger paintings once in a while. But yeah...this time it will be training, exhibitions, social media and that's it. I did this before so I think it will be easier. 
  • Thanks @A_Time_To_Paint I don't know certain things to paint from memory. I suck at human and animal form; botanical things, mountains etc. So, need to correct this error. Two years of practicing will be enough I guess.
    [Deleted User]
  • CBGCBG -
    edited October 28

@kaustavM OK this might be a SUPER stupid idea but...

Before I can tell you about the idea I have to tell about this first...

At one point in my life I decided that I was holding on to too many things.  I knew the objects were important to me for sentimental reasons but keeping them in boxes, and all of them, I realized was both a waste of storage space, and because they were tucked away, did not serve the purpose of reflection and nostalgia.  So I decided, for most of those things, to take good digital pictures of them, sufficient for keeping forever, for having a look and for the nostalgia.  Of course Data literally takes no space, and so after ditching the physical things I had lots more physical storage... and now I can be reminded of the memories anytime I want.

Sorry for the long story. Here is the idea (I have not tried this):

To the whatever extent possible, set up a painting surface recycling system.  This is more about cost than storage but both are reduced.  Use the kind of canvas you like to paint on for real works and practice on that.  Once a practice piece is complete, take really good digital photos of it for future reference.  Catalogue and tag your practice work on your computer so you can easily find and refer to it.  You could even keep text file or .Doc notes in the same directory or keep an Excel document with whatever info you want.  Since you really do not need to keep the physical practice work, after you are done taking all photos of it, but before the oil paint dries, wipe it all off and/or clean the canvas with cheap (and otherwise appropriate and safe) solvent.  You don't even need to worry about the initial cost of your practice canvas, as long as you have a good system where you can reuse it indefinitely.  Your reused canvas might even get a nice dirty grey kind of stain on it for "free"!

Just a little idea!

tassieguy