Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Adding gesso layer to a canvas

Any thoughts on this technique to add a gesso layer to a canvas to creat a smoother surface?  Looks interesting.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_9lrRyr_zW8

[Deleted User]

Comments

• I once tried to apply gesso with a brush - and it was horrible, I got all kind of ridges and bumps. this one looks good though I'm willing to give it a try,  just need to get the knife. thanks for sharing @GTO :)
  • @ArtGal let me know how it works out for you.  I’m interested in giving it a try myself.
    ArtGal
  • edited October 20
    I have applied gesso to one canvas board, and several pages (& more to come) of a large sketch book that I do studies in.
    I got that idea from a Cesar Santos vid that someone ( I cant recall who) posted on here. He uses a big kind of flat steel (I think pastry) knife.

I applied using soft flat wide brush without any problems.

@GTO I enjoyed seeing the method in this video.

ArtGal
  • Just wanted to let you know that  I've tried it .

I applied gesso in two layers as shown in the video but to the canvas panel. While I can see there is less tooth after applying, and the surface is certainly smoother,  when I tried to tone afterwards, it's absorbing too much paint . I'm thinkg may i should've sanded in between layers, not sure.

Thanks again for posting @GTO :)

• Applying thin layer(s) of acrylic medium afterwards will reduce absorbency
    ArtGal
  • @ArtGal. I apply a Holbein oil ground on the gesso.  I thin the oil ground down and add a bit of umber so that it is a middle tone.  That will greatly reduces the paint sinking in.
    ArtGalStephanHM