Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Sennelier Oil Paint Quality?

Did anyone ever used Sennelier Artist Oil Paint? I used Titanium White about two-three years back and found the color wasn't doing anything special compared to a student grade paint! Whereas I used Daniel Smith PW6 since last year. I'm happy with the results and it's my main white color.

Recently I bought Sennelier Yellow Ochre and when I got the tube...there was an OMG moment! Never seen so many mixes for an earth color...PR101/PY42/PBk11 + proud for nothing with Safflower oil! Most of their colors are mixed! Are they selling just history?
Forgiveness

Comments

• Yes, I have a Sennelier Chinese Vermilion which I do not trust after doing my research before using it. The bottom line is I can't depend on quality oil paint from them. A real tube of Chinese Vermilion is an exorbitant price today, starting at approx. $250.00, but this is the real thing for this color.
     I stay away from safflower oil, all too often, also too much safflower oil is used in these mixes. Linseed oil, Walnut oil, and Poppy oil are best.
  • @Forgiveness Yes. Buying vermillion is like crazy purchase today. I am not against mixed pigments though. Sometimes they produce desired effect reasonably well. Also, buying one paint tube with such a crazy amount makes no sense if a similar color can be made by mixing two three cheaper single pigment colors.

But mixing pigments for earth colors feels like losing credibility. Also, safflower becomes sticky. I've used it initially for training DMP. It was a good decision that I took very early to go back to old linseed oil and not to experiment with medium. Not buying Sennelier oils unless don't have any other options.
  • edited September 28
    I don't like throwing out such paint on already on hand in my studio if I don't have to but, I practice draining, removing the excess oil, by letting it float to the top inside the closed tube. I then pour out and squeeze out much of the oil, leaving more pigment in the tube. If this needs thinning again then I add my own linseed oil. This practise takes patience, but I think it's alright. Light fastness of color is very important, must not forget this element. 

Also, most water missable oil paint are good because they have modified linseed oil most often. Some colors have added modified vegetable oil to speed drying and that is all. Instead of using water, just use linseed oil or Walnut oil. This is all good!
    kaustavMtassieguy