Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

My private student

Really old old piece. She was one of my first painting students. I would go to her home and teach her privately since I had no place of my own. the work is filled with flaws but it shows my growth process. "not to say that my recents have no flaws!" just different types maybe. 
Richard_PSummerMichaelDtassieguyanweshaA_Time_To_Paint

Comments

• Really good as always. :)

Have you painted the same picture twice, once some time ago, and then again recently to see how different it looks now?
  • I can see how much you’ve progressed since this. 
    I prefer your recent work. 
  • @Richard_P,...thanks! yes, I have, once. I did it during the same time frame though. still, they were very different. I'm always trying to walk into territories I haven't walked before. 
  • @Hilary crazy how different it is right? agreed. that's the beauty and the hopefulness of it isn't it?
  • @shahin was this painted from life?  You’re not going to like this but I think I like this painting best of everything you’ve posted, flaws (I might quibble about the hair) and all. There’s a stillness and sense of purpose and restraint in this.  But that’s just me and my preference speaking.  😀. 
  • @shahin  I'm just curious, how did you feel when it came to the part where you had to paint her painting?  Did you have to shift gears or something?  Summer
  • @GTO, no i get it, it is of course a solid piece. today I would have brought more softness to the hair though with that same harsh language. it is after all the beginning period of my wanting to get away from photographic looking work 
  • @Summer, not sure what you mean! please explain a bit more? How did i feel about her? the work? explain
  • This is among your best. 
  • @tassieguy,...wow,...the least likly one I would have thought! interesting
  • edited September 9
    I'm not sure I can explain why I think this is among your best work posted here but I'll give it my best shot.

Yes, the drawing, the composition, the light ... all that and more is great. But it's the immediacy of it - the way you seem to have caught her unawares at her work - in medias res. Nothing about it looks staged. And nothing is overdone. The pattern in her dress, for example, reads so true. The values in the dress are marvelous and it is rendered with such economy - no fussing over irrelevant detail. And the painting overall has structural integrity - it doesn't look as though you tried to deconstruct the brushwork  post hoc to achieve a semblance of looseness just for effect which can sometimes look like merely a cheap device. The was no need to do that because the looseness was there already and each brushstroke was just right. It is a very direct and honest painting without fancy effects.

I'm not sure I've explained it very well but that's the thing about really good paintings - it's really hard to explain exactly what it is that makes them so good. 
    anwesha
  • shahin said:
    @Summer, not sure what you mean! please explain a bit more? How did i feel about her? the work? explain

I was just making a point that sometimes we are called upon to paint in another artist's style and not our own.  You did so admirably when you painted the lone flower on your student's canvas.  I get too emotional when I am asked to paint in another artist's style and can't do it.  Hope this makes sense.  ;)
    You did good!
  • @summer. aha! well, when I painted my student I did it in my own style and knowledge of that time. would have been different now. true also that I always want to paint like others and not in the way I know-how.  when I say other, however, I mean my own chosen others of course. today I have two idols, "Suchitra Bhosle" who is an Indian American woman in Chicago and also Adam Clague who is a really young kid somewhere in texas. take a look at their work, you'll know where my thirst is and why :o). I really enjoy your comments. Can I see who you are and some of your work? you're a guy? girl? never seen anything of yours. you can always find me in whatsapp 310.606.1153
  • SummerSummer -
    edited September 10
    @shahin Well I took a look at Suchitra Bhosie and Adam Clague and I can see why they are in your sights. Kindred souls.  Hmm!  I'm a lady the last time I looked.  Not ready for prime time as far as art goes but I'm working on it.  Your work is very inspiring.  I've downloaded the ones you have posted here.  Thank you for your inspiration.   Husband and I are building studio this year and it should be ready this year--very soon.  We are using mostly Mark Carder's suggestions--furniture, lighting, tools, paints, mediums (clove oil and his medium recipe).  I posted a few paintings here in years past but they are not worth looking at compared to your paintings.  Still, a membership here is invigorating even though I am not a star like yourself.  I look forward to your future posts.  Summer   :)   
  • @Summer, i am speechless toward this much kindness. yes, mark's suggestions seem to be one of the best out there. keep me in the loop with your studio's progress if you would. If I can ever be of any help, I'm at your disposal here. be well and safe. 
    Summer
  • This painting has an immediacy to it that I really like.  I like all your paintings and have to admit that I'm quite envious.
  • @oilpainter1950, no need for envy my good friend. im always a call away. i be too happy to share what little knowledge I have with you. 
  • edited September 18
    @shahin,  you sell yourself short. Does your modesty know no bounds?! Do you really have such low confidence? Such a debilitated ego?  Surely it is obvious by now that everyone here does envy you immensely. Your dozens of works posted on DMP over the last couple of weeks (more than any other member posts in a year) have received praise beyond measure. I am now at a total loss as to how to help you reconstruct your confidence.  I wish I could help because you seem like a very caring man. Despite your self deprecation you were generous enough to give out your phone number to the struggling painters here. Such kindness!  I hope that getting calls from prospective students from the DMP forum will go some way to bolstering your struggling artist's underdeveloped ego.  But, honestly, your work is wonderful. You just need to believe it. And enter competitions. Success there can be a shot in the arm more potent than adulation by us amateurs here on the DMP forum.  :)
    MichaelDArtGalalsart2
  • @tassieguy, my good friend, if there's a compliment there, thank you for it. I think what you might be missing is this; I have confidence and lots of it. you may be mixing my own critical views upon my own work as a lack of confidence when in reality I could argue that it's that critical view that has brought me to the point I'm in. there may be many compliments coming my way here but remember most of which are by people that are slightly behind me in this endless path of ours. I'm being a bit general, there are many whose work I do admire here but the bigger point is that I give the same praises to other people whose work I could never come close to. it's all comparative. I suppose long story short, you may be taking the way I speak the wrong way. I am a bit dramatic in general even when I try talking about a sandwich!  yes, time is short. there are only so many sacrifices I can make to get where I want to get and I'm running out of sacrifices I can make timewise and in other ways. I'm just trying to experience a whole other level of knowledge before either corona or blood pressure or sugar or even a lump in my ass puts an end into this endeavor. it's a battle with time and it's a day to day thing. today I'm behind when comparing myself with many half my age whose work I praise. there was a time that this very thing would slow me down even more but I'm learning to accept it yet not to give up the fight. yes, i have an ego and also confidence.  only thing is, I have an even bigger sense of self-critique and believe me I owe everything to it so far  ;)
    anyway, i' working on my last canvas ever and will post it for you when done. its a fuck up so far. a self-portrait. once I'm done I'm going to paint only on wood! i can't wait. thanks for the perspectives and be well and safe. 
    MichaelD
  • edited September 19
    @shahin said:

"It's a battle with time and it's a day to day thing..."

Yup, I'm in the same boat. I guess we all are. We just have to get as much done as we can.

@shahin said:

"I have an ego and also confidence.  only thing is, I have an even bigger sense of self-critique..."

Good, that's healthy.

@shahin said:

"...I'm going to paint only on wood!"

I look forward to seeing how the wood goes.  :) 

MichaelD
  • edited September 19
    tassieguy said:
    @shahin said:

"It's a battle with time and it's a day to day thing..."

Yup, I'm in the same boat. I guess we all are. We just have to get as much done as we can.

@shahin said:

"I have an ego and also confidence.  only thing is, I have an even bigger sense of self-critique..."

Good, that's healthy.

@shahin said:

"...I'm going to paint only on wood!"

I look forward to seeing how the wood goes.  :) 

Im in that boat too, I'm sure theres enough of us with the will to keep rowing through the rough seas beyond the Gulf of aspirations to the shores of our desires.

I have an ego, and wherever I go so does ego.

I love painting on wooden panels, most of my work is on them.

:) 
    tassieguy
  • Have you tried Aluminium Composite Panels? (Dibond is the most well known brand)

I really like painting on them. :)
  • @MichaelD, the last two paintings, the guy drinking from a cup and also the one on my icon are both on wood. i'm inlove
    MichaelD
  • @Richard_P wow, no never! have to look into it
  • super real atmosphere. I feel the space.
  • @Melisa, thank you very much....
  • @Richard_P, thanks! so on that site, I'm seeing a bunch of different options or names! if you give me a tiny bit more specific names once again I will talk to my supplier and give it a shot for sure! for the time being, wood panel seems to be more than amazing. let's see if there's something even better! thanks again 
  • There are different kinds of dibond and brands but I think they are all pretty similar. I use a generic brand here in the UK which is 3mm in thickness with two aluminium layers coated with polyester paint. 

@PaulB knows much more than me about ordering them in the USA. I'm not sure how active he is on the site anymore though.

I'd buy a couple of panels (nothing too big or expensive) and see how well you like them. :)
  • @Richard_P, ok so,,,one last time and forgive me i'm dumb,... when i go to the art store, what do i ask for again? just give me a name!:o)
  • Dibond or Aluminium Panels. They might not have them in most art stores.

Perhaps try and buy a sample online? You will also find them much cheaper from sign/trade companies rather than from art stores who often sell the same product with a healthy mark up.

shahin
  • ArtGalArtGal -
    edited September 21
    That's why this forum is so popular  - it's a great place to find advice from people that are ready to share their opinion and knowledge!   so generous! :)
    tassieguy
  • @ArtGal,...I'm always at anyone's service. 310.606.1153
    ArtGal