Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

DIGITAL ART.

Dear Artists..
What do you think about Fine Art Digital?
I was given a WACOM Digital Tablet but I am still reluctant to use it as I actually have No idea how to use it.
I was also given Corel Painter No 9, which I have still not tried..  
Saw some awesome digital art on YOUTUBE,  jaw dropping images from some digital artists..
Just curious to know is Digital art  real art  or just a phase one has fun with.
ALL opinions will be apprecreated, xxxxxxxx

Comments

• edited September 4
    I have seen some great digital art.
    On a personal level I am not attracted to doing it myself I thoroughly enjoy all of the tactile aspects of mixing paint, handling brushes and applying paint to work surface.
    I often really feel that I am sculpting with paint, I don't think I would get that on a tablet.

:) 
    Catlady
  • Catlady

Digital art for me is iPad and Procreate and the big benefits are portability, convenience and speed.
    I can paint and draw; on long car or train rides, in bed on sleepless nights, at an al fresco cafe.
    Hugely assisted by having a great camera and music on my headphones, all on the one device.

Denis

Catlady
  • I have a Wacom Cintique 12 and Painter 11 but have not used them for absolutely ages. They are great tools and Painter is fantastic but I went off using them and prefer something a bit more tactile and real these days.
    I'd give them a go even just to have a bit of non destructive experimentation and fun. Painter is like having your very own personal art supply shop but also the ability to craft your own art brushes and surface. The tools are very realistic.
    Catlady
  • I personally share the previous views. But I previously started to watch a video from Andrew Tischler on an Epic Landscape painting which took him around 1 year to finalize. Apart from sketches and a study, he used Photoshop for the digital design process starting with the drawing on a tablet and following all the steps you usually do in your real painting, so the blocking-in, adding additional layers, adding highlights at the end of the design process with digital brushes providing textures to mimic the real painting process. Amazing to see the digital end result as a preparation for the real painting. Such a digital design process could be helpful if you do a commission or a larger painting project.
  • edited September 4
    I'm not up to date with the latest tablets and digital artwork software but for landscape painters who want to create large physical  paintings I think digital technology is a marvelous tool. I couldn't do without my digital camera and computer for my landscapes.

@Mayeoli, I also watch Andrew Tischler's videos. He produces amazing paintings and states openly that he could not do what he does without modern technology. I recently watched him create a painting of wave swept rocks. He used various photos to come up with a marvelous composition and painted wet over dry to create glistening wet rocks, spray and foam. The end product, the physical painting with its beautiful texture was, IMHO,  miles better than any photo or purely digital work which, to me, never looks like real phyisical painting. You can always tell that it's computer generated art and not real painting.

I'm not criticising digital art - advertising, movies and much else relies on it these days and it produces wonderful imagery. But painting with real paint and brushes is a distinct art form, whose appeal has much to do with brushwork and 3D texture which relies on the human touch using phyisical media and that won't be repaced by computer generated art anytine soon. 

Some artists will want to go down the purely digital path. Others will stick with plein air painting and purely phyisical media. And many, like Tischler, will marry the two in the studio. It's all good.  :)
    Catlady
  • Dear friends..
    HUGE thank you  all you informative answwers.
    I own WACOM INTUOS TABLET and COREL PAINTER NO 9

Will  try to use  my tablet and corel painter I have.
    I have NO technophobia, but being a seniour artist some technlogy just escapes me, LOL..

After all even my favorite artist VERMEER was supossed to use technology in the form of Camera Obsecura..
    I wonder if Digital Art will ever be  accepted as REAL Art..
    Cheers to everyone here.
    Keep safe keep helathy all of you. xxxxxxxx

• @Catlady
    oooh Vermeer..have you seen the documentary called Tim's Vermeer? It is absolutely fantastic! I actually traveled to the Hague in the Netherland's last December to see the girl with the pearl earing, it is such an amazing painting  =)
    Catlady
  • edited September 7
    YES, I HAVE   SSEN THE VERMEER DOCO, AND THE ONE  WITH  DAVID HOCKNEY SECRET KNOWLEDGE, BUT NO MATTER HOW HE PAINTED OR WHAT HE USED I LOVE AND ADORE VERMEERS ART. XXXXX
  • @Intothevoid I watched the Tims Vermeer video and then setup the same mirror and copied a photo using the method.  It was an interesting exercise.  Tim’s approach is like taking marks DMP method to the extreme.
  • @GTO
    That is an incredible amount of patience! Watching the documentary and the hours upon hours he spent just painting the fabrics would drive me insane.
    Catlady
  • @Intothevoid well yeah, it wore poor old Tim out.  His determination and patience was amazing.  And he was, is?, not a painter. It’s a movie worth watching.
    Catlady
  • IMHO-Digital art is real art- there are some amazingly creative, imaginative and talented digital artists. Art is not just something that can be framed and hung in a museum. Art is expression of an idea channeled through an individual, or group of individuals, through any number of  means- painting, dancing, writing, performance, sculpture, graffiti, etc etc. 
    CatladytassieguyArtGal
  • This artist is still strugling with her tablet and especially corel painter, why I  have no idea, LOL xxxxxxx
    Boudicca