Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

pomegranates

this one is one of my oldest studies. maybe about over 15 years ago. 

CsontvaryMichaelDHilaryRUESGAGTOA_Time_To_PaintdencalBuckytassieguyJuliannaLeo2015

Comments

• HilaryHilary -
    edited August 25
    So do I. Painted with such confident and bold brushstrokes. I love the warmth of the colours and how you’ve included that particular purple/ mauve. 
    This is my favourite style of painting but I haven’t a clue how to achieve it. 
    Did you use a palette knife for some areas @shahin
    Really beautiful work. 

Julianna
  • @Hilary, WELL....here's what I learned through my journey beginning from my so-called mentor's mentality which I respect tremendously. this to me is simply realism! I learned later on that in this culture "more or less" anything that looks remotely closer to realism is called impressionism and anything that is artless and photographic is called realism! the question then would be, what on earth is then the difference between photorealism and realism? where do you draw the line? to me there is none. my definition of realism is "the interference in reality toward further beautifying it by the means of ""line"" and ""color"" without shattering the four pillars that reality sits on!  lines, meaning movement; brush strokes if you will and colors meaning the creation of your own intuitiveness and further harmonizes beauty created by nature itself. this is a ten-hour discussion over coffee is you have the time :o). so, the palette knife "better yet a painting knife" which is slightly different, is a took that certainly adds to a good solid realist piece. i will post more work where i have played around with it. in a sense, a pure painting knife is maybe the most solid form of realism or free realism or maybe also known expressionism perhaps? again, in my opinion, expressionism simply being realism at its freest form. normally however most people mix the brush and the knife which i like a lot myself. all of that not to be mistaken by the cheap factory produced-like palette knife work that keeps piling and piling shit loads of paint on top of each other to create that so-called texture. that in its entirety to me is just cheap crap and not realism at all because with a painting knife there is still the idea of softening and an elusion of reality rather than a cheap focus on just piling shit! as for the violet colors? its simply what rubbed off my mentor's hand to me and it seems to have a mind of its own throughout my journey :o)
    Hilary
  • @shahin  The purple was working for you and at back then.  It’s taken on a life if it’s own.😀
    I like your comments on realism and Impressionism.  Mark Carder likes the impressionistic realism.  I guess you could say loose brushwork but accurate shapes and values.  And color harmony of course.
  • shahinshahin -
    edited August 25
    GTO, but that's just it. there is no such thing as impressionist realism!! that "is" realism. if it ain't painterly, it ain't realist! you can call it photo this and that or anything else but a realist piece is where there is a lack of your one hundred percent observation of reality! in fact, there is a name for that, it's called naturalism in my opinion. so let's simplify it; if it is just a hundred percent observation of what you see, just call it naturalist. yes even there you will find brush strokes ""maybe"" but those strokes are put there not purposely but subconsciously. you put those strokes there because u didn't know how not to since you have a brush in your hand. your colors are also not creative because you are puting there what you're seeing. a realist changes both these things and in that sense, it's safe to say in naturalism you bow toward reality whereas in realism,...it is the reality that bows to you! makes sense?:o) and yes, that violet curse :o) I'll post more work for you with that present and so many others where i did them when i couldn't play with that color. 
  • @shahin I get what your saying.  My approach has been to accurately see what’s right in front of me (everything I’ve done has been from a still life setup) and then apply techniques to paint that.  I guess you could say that it has been an effort at achieving technical skill.  And that leaves the subjects and composition as the artistic elements to the painting.  
    Here are a few that I’ve done this way over the last year.  I’d be interested in your input and comments on them.
    Heres my first attempt:

And here are a few later on in the process:

HilaryA_Time_To_PaintJulianna
  • @GTO, if you start a religion, i be your first follower. i can sit here and cry ......... lol. you're so ffffffing good! shit, for someone like you to be wasting your time for two weeks here giving me compliments, makes me take a whole new look at myself. may i call you master from here on master? and as for what you were saying, yes here's my take; I think most of the great artists always begin with a hundred percent observation of what they see for the longest time because that is the only thing that turns them on. as they get amazingly good, a fewer bunch begin to feel a thirst for more but what is more? so begins that journey. problem is that for most, more means to piss on everything and to destroy. a much smaller percentage find that light slowly and find themselves on that railroad. that is when they begin to become realists! that is where simply the notion of creativity begins. how to create a piece, destroy it completely only to show a more beautiful version of itself. filling the empty pockets mother nature left empty. not sure where you reside but if you're ok with talking over the phone I have tones of technical questions to ask you, master. 310.606.1153 is my number. now I'm going to kick back and take another look at these amazing pieces and enjoy in pain. thank you for sharing. again bravo...////
    A_Time_To_Paint
  • @shahin Ha!  You are too kind.  I am no master, far from it.  Your works have swagger, my friend.  Much more so than what I have done.  If your available tomorrow afternoon around 1:00 pacific time I’d enjoy very much to give you a ring and chat.
  • @GTO doesn't surprise me a single bit. I'm really very happy for you man. I share this happiness with you
  • Congratulations, @GTO. I told you they were good. So what's next?   :)
  • GTOGTO -
    edited August 28
    @tassieguy I’m working on another still life in the shadow box but this one is 36”x24”. It has a musical theme to it.  I might post it within the next week.

Heres a link to the paintings in the show.  I’m going to go to the gallery Saturday to see the show.   

• Awww fantastic news @GTO
     Very well deserved. 🍾🥂🍾
  • I checked out the exhibition. Some nice work there. Your work is right up there with the very best and you deserved the awards you won.  :)
  • @GTO Big congratulations to you, well deserved!
  • dencaldencal -
    edited August 29
    GTO

Great news. Congrats on the sales and top ratings.

Denis

• So inspiring, and I imagine so very gratifying for you GTO. How wonderful. Congratulations!
  • How long did the revolver painting take you?
  • @PAreturnedtoar @dencal thanks . The revolver took about three weeks.  It’s 11”x14”. I paint that size up to 16x20” .  The orange and ceramic jar is 16x20”.  Mostly it take one to three weeks for me to do a painting.  But I work full time and can only paint a couple hours a night and about eight on a weekend.  I am currently working on a 24”x36” canvas to try something larger. That’s taking a lot longer.
  • Thats great news @GTO and well deserved, congratulations

:)