Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Excellent Glass Jar Video from Mark

Folks

30 minutes of classic DMP.

Don't miss it.

Denis

MichaelDArtGalA_Time_To_Paint

Comments

• I enjoyed watching that

:) 
    dencal
  • It was certainly refreshing to see him paint after a long time!
    dencal
  • There’s so much instruction in this short video but unless you’ve actually tried painting something like this you won’t appreciate what he is demonstrating.  
    His points about maintaining abstraction and adherence to value especially at the beginning is important.  How he is holding his brush and his comments about brush sizes that he uses to maintain abstraction is important.  And his comments about drawing verse painting is something to consider.
    i noticed how he observed the yellow at the bottom of the glass and purple blue in the middle but held off until he started putting in the light parts and reflections.  That would be easy to overlook.
    And he provides so much more instruction.  He’s an excellent teacher.
    The one question I have after watching is ... if you lay your paint down loosely, abstractly, like that, don’t you end up with an uneven surface? And if you do, then when you varnish the painting won’t you get glossy reflections that affect the image?  Or is the paint so thinned down with medium that it levels out?

• Yes I agree that it’s a fantastic video. So much to learn and so well explained. 
    But I have a problem. Actually I have a problem with ALL Mark’s videos. 
    If I watch them late at night or indeed anytime I’m even slightly tired , I fall asleep. His voice is so incredibly soothing, it has a mesmeric effect on me. I can never get past the first ten minutes. 
    Am I the only one who has this problem ? 
    At least now I know that if I’m to last the course , I need to watch them when I’m fully awake , a cup of coffee to hand.  
    MichaelDdencalkaustavM
  • Yes he does have a relaxing Texan draaaaaaawwwwwwl

@Hilary

:) 

kaustavM
  • @Hilary it’s marks low key tone that is so soothing.  But I’m fascinated by them.  I’m watching how he mixes his paint, and comparing what he is explaining with what I’ve observed when painting.  They’re fascinating.  I do hold off watching them until I have no other distractions so that I can focus my attention on what he is explaining.
  • @GTO my experience with Geneva paints is that it levels out. That is except when I am trying to fix something and put it on heavy. Enjoyed the video and wish I had a steady hand like his. I suppose it is not as easy to have the abstraction when every brush stroke comes braced against a bridge or mahlstick. I guess that age has other benefits that overrides a steady hand.
  • @ChuckA I noticed that Mark holds his brush at the very end and only holds it closer to the bristle end when he does the fine details.  I use a mahal stick too.  But then I don’t have the abstraction that mark has.  
  • @GTO I hadn’t noticed that. I recently bought some Rosemary brushes with short handles and that was a mistake, as the short handle discourages painterly and abstract brush strokes for me. BTW I really like the brushes and only I had chosen the long handle version.
  • dencaldencal -
    edited August 10
    ChuckA

Ease the ferrules off the short handles and find some cheap long handle brushes to replace them.

Or glue on a piece aluminium tubing over the short handles.

Or use these extenders

Denis

A_Time_To_PaintGTO
  • Great video.  Thanks @GTO for your breakdown of what he is teaching in this video.  I usually watch them a few times and tend to pick up something new each time.  @Hilary You are not the only one that gets sleepy when watching Mark's videos.  His voice is very soothing.  His videos overall to me are quite relaxing.  
  • It's funny how the length of a brush --or a pencil-- changes how it feels in the hand.  Not just the distance fron your fingers to the working tip, but also the length beyond in the other direction.  I never put much stock in short handles for watercolors,  long handles for oils.  But I do keep both lengths handy just for the different feels and points-of-balance.  The same with charcoals and pencils; stubbies, regulars, pencil extenders.
  • @dencal thanks for the suggestion. I have some old bushes that will provide handles for my new short ones.