Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

My third still life. Leave your critical comment.🙂

Comments

• dencaldencal -
    edited July 28
    michal3michal

A pleasant still life. Great learning opportunity to study light, values, perspective etc under controlled conditions.

Excellent realism and good textural surface rendering. All the objects have good dimension and depth and all in keeping with a kitchen table scene.

Surface of table and background colour choice is unusual, saturated and a bit of a distraction from the stars of the show.

Composition is pretty random and could be grouped or clustered to add some balance and movement.

Edges are uniformly sharp, lending a cut out appearance to the objects. Round objects appear more solid with a softer edge. Soft to the rear, sharper to the front creates space in the painting. The sharpest edges should be reserved for the focal point, 

Pepper mill is a bit bent in the middle. Might be a lens distortion.

Denis

michal3michal
  • A good way to view your painting for mistakes is to look at it in a mirror of upside down.
    michal3michal
  • Great job. the colors may be a bit oversaturated as Denis said but that helps taking a traditional still-life into the realm of contemporary art. Drawing a centerline with a square helps keep cylindrical objects straight and symmetrical which  also helps with drawing ellipses although these are all done quite well.
    michal3michal
  • The strong colours, simplified background and hard edges on the still life items give this a very contemporary look.  That may have been the intention. If so, well done, the painting works.

In traditional realist still lifes we would see more accurate drawing of the items and some attention to the background to create depth. 

Either approach is fine. It depends on the look your after, the style you want to develop.  :)
    michal3michal
  • For only the third painting you’ve done quite well.
    in terms of the drawing the symmetry of the pepper grinder is off.  The angle of the sides of the white cup is off.But those things improve over time.
    The colors are too high keyed.  And having all the edges hard gives the objects a flat appearance.  The same is true for the cast shadows.  But in spite of all that you did achieve a sense of space.  
    I think with some of these minor improvements you will see a big improvement in the realism of your painting.
    michal3michal
  • edited July 29
    tassieguy said:
    The strong colours, simplified background and hard edges on the still life items give this a very contemporary look.  That may have been the intention. If so, well done, the painting works.

In traditional realist still lifes we would see more accurate drawing of the items and some attention to the background to create depth. 

Either approach is fine. It depends on the look your after, the style you want to develop.  :)
    Intention was to practise and learn. I think I didn't waste a time. I agree - it looks contemporary although it wasn't the concept. Concerning traditional approach to still life I think I understand what you mean concerning background (which in this case was literary any) but if You could explain more concerning more accurate drowing🙂. Thank You very much for Your comment.
  • edited July 29
    A good way to view your painting for mistakes is to look at it in a mirror of upside down.
    Thank You for interesting tip. Will check that. Good way to check is to make a picture - photo or look on it from the different angles. 
  • edited July 29
    BOB73 said:
    Great job. the colors may be a bit oversaturated as Denis said but that helps taking a traditional still-life into the realm of contemporary art. Drawing a centerline with a square helps keep cylindrical objects straight and symmetrical which  also helps with drawing ellipses although these are all done quite well.
    Although it wasn't my concept the painting turned to be in contemporary style at its end. In this particular case I enjoy that but it is not my goal in general. I spent on it more than 30 hours but I think it payd off - I definitely learned something which was the main purpose of mine doing that. Thank You very much for practical tip concerning achieving symmetry and correctness of shape - not main purpose and madness with that as well but ofcourse i think it is important depending on circumstances and concept. Very interested in Your opinion concerning my next one. Thank You🙂
    BOB73
  • edited July 29
    dencal said:
    michal3michal

A pleasant still life. Great learning opportunity to study light, values, perspective etc under controlled conditions.

Excellent realism and good textural surface rendering. All the objects have good dimension and depth and all in keeping with a kitchen table scene.

Surface of table and background colour choice is unusual, saturated and a bit of a distraction from the stars of the show.

Composition is pretty random and could be grouped or clustered to add some balance and movement.

Edges are uniformly sharp, lending a cut out appearance to the objects. Round objects appear more solid with a softer edge. Soft to the rear, sharper to the front creates space in the painting. The sharpest edges should be reserved for the focal point, 

Pepper mill is a bit bent in the middle. Might be a lens distortion.

Denis

Thank You. You know and pointed out everything🙂.  I started this little still life and didn't know where exactly I would go with it. Main concept was to practise and I think it work out well. Salt grinder is curved a bit - i didn't made the sketch. I am right handed but I paint with my left hand. I think i understand now Your advise concerning edges in general. In this particular case for me they are somehow acceptable. Any way - no excuses. Thank You. I am very interested in Your opinion concerning my fifth still life which is completed now - will post it soon.
  • edited July 29
    GTO said:
    For only the third painting you’ve done quite well.
    in terms of the drawing the symmetry of the pepper grinder is off.  The angle of the sides of the white cup is off.But those things improve over time.
    The colors are too high keyed.  And having all the edges hard gives the objects a flat appearance.  The same is true for the cast shadows.  But in spite of all that you did achieve a sense of space.  
    I think with some of these minor improvements you will see a big improvement in the realism of your painting.
    I like Your unconpromised traditional approach to painting. Salt grinder and cup are a bit shaken in their foundation. That is the consequence of a bit spontaneous approach (lack of exact rigourus concept in this case and lack of sketch - so far I do sketch only when object is difficult to grasp) and ofcourse because of lack of enough training🙂. Thank You for pointing out - although very high precision is not my goal it may be important depending on composition and concept. I think I began to understand the concept of edges in the context of whole composition in traditional still life You mentioned (which I prefer by the way) . Considering the situation in which this little still life turned to be contemporary in character I think that slightly over saturated colours of the background and roughly similar hard edges are acceptable. I cannot wait to read Your opinion on my next painting. Thank You.
  • It's a lovely still life @michal3michal. I love the reflections on the pepper mill. i'm sure you've learnt a lot from this one, looking forward to see your next painting.
    michal3michal
  • edited July 29
    ArtGal said:
    It's a lovely still life @michal3michal. I love the reflections on the pepper mill. i'm sure you've learnt a lot from this one, looking forward to see your next painting.
    Thank You🙂, yes I learned and trained myself much painting this composition - over 30 hours all together - remarcable week it was.. I like its contemporary feel and joyfull colours. Thank You for the comment. Concerning reflections on grinder - that is consequence of not fully professional studio (additional source of light) and very polished surface of the grinder. But decided to add it as it was in reality and really like it - thank You for spotting :-).