Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

It's been a long time...where to start !!

Ok, I haven't painted oils in over a year, and am going to start this one soon. Where I have previously painted, mostly still life, I followed Marks advice ans put some background around the object; However, this one has so much darks. Should I paint from left to right, I am right handed, helping a wet edge at all times ?  Any advice appreciated...especially @dencal @Forgiveness @PaulB  missed you all 😎

Comments

• marieb

If I was doing this difficult piece I would start with a black canvas. Proceed as normal from dark to light. Save most of the warm atmospheric values for glazing after the base colours have dried. Good luck.

Denis
    marieb
  • edited July 22
    Good to see you back and painting, @marieb

With this picture I would start by painting the whole canvas the colour and value of the very darkest shadow in the photo. Almost black.  (Not ivory or carbon black but a chromatic black you mix yourself from either BU and UB or quinacridone crimson and phthalo green for example or some combination thereof. The darks in this photo have a reddish cast.)  Then I'd do as Denis suggested and move to the next value up, then the next and so on.  I would probably use a grid on top of the first dark layer to help with the drawing so I'd let the dark layer dry then draw a grid on top of it then go a la prima/wet in wet as Mark does because you will need to do some blending. I'm sure others will have better advice but that's how I approach complex subjects like this.

The trick with this one will be to get the values spot on. It's a fascinating photo and a work of art already. I hope you'll post progress shots.   :)
    GTO
  • Thanks @tassieguy, I started a cropped version of this a year ago, but stopped as the cropped version didn't read well. It is an Engineer/ Mechanic working underneath an old steam train that makes a couple of journeys a year. The photo I posted has too much red in it. The original on my lap top is slightly less saturated. I think I might make two groups of black, one with a more red cast and a second one a bit more neutral. I've spent the morning re mixing my paints...they had hardened in their containers, that's how long I haven't done oils !!  The ref photo that I got printed turned out far too red and too dark, so I will colour match from the laptop screen. I like to make things complicated. This will be my 5 th carder method painting ..start praying for me 😂

tassieguyBOB73
  • Sorry @dencal for not tagging you. Canvas stained the usual neutral. I have a gridded photo and an ungridded  one to work from.  😊
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    There is a coppery orange glow to this, so that would be my choice of stain. When I use black stain, I lose the placement of objects that I typically get by starting with the darks.

I like the red in the photo, it conveys the sense of heat, which I'm sure existed.

Agree with @tassieguy, don't use straight black anywhere.

I would consider highlighting something on that glove, to emphasize the work going on and provide a(nother) focus.

Glad to hear you are painting again.
    BOB73GTOmarieb
  • Welcome back. this is Deja view all over again. I swear I read this whole post  including comments over a year ago  even the parts about starting this a year ago.
  • Good to see you back at your easel @marieb
    You’ve chosen a difficult one here but I’m sure you’ll make an excellent job of it. 
    Hope you’re coping well in these awful times. 
    Painting is a wonderful distraction. 
    marieb
  • I really like the subject matter of your painting and I’m looking forward to seeing your progress.
    marieb
  • I'd crack a cold one whilst sitting in the sun at the local park. Pull out a plein air kit and enjoy life. Whilst leaving photographer to do what they do best.
  • BOB73 said:
    Welcome back. this is Deja view all over again. I swear I read this whole post  including comments over a year ago  even the parts about starting this a year ago.
    Guess what @BOB73. You are 100% correct ...I did start it a year ago,VA cropped version, I had forgotten that I posted it here 🙄. I was going to enter it into an exhibition, the same one that I was aiming for this year, and yet again, I didn't get it done in time !!  My Husband goes to UK a lot on business and I was away a lot last year...this year, I thought I would get painting during the lockdown, but no, we are selling our house and it had to be brought up to scratch. I had just started the painting abd, and you guessed it, the next trip was brought forward 🙄🙄🙄. So I am home from the UK, we have to restrict our movements for two weeks, because England is not on Irelands green list of countries that we can visit without Isolating) restricting. So, I am painting at my leisure, and it is a Difficult one ...it's All about the tones. I'm a watercolourist usually, this is easier and difficult at the same time. I can't colour check it, because the two reference photos I got printed are too colour saturated, and it's impossible to colour check from the laptop screen, which I am using. I am learning So much, mostly that I am painting it too brightly 😄 I think I will have to glaze it like Denis said. Hope there's not too many Typos in this as I'm on my phone, and can't see what I've already written !! 
    dencalBOB73judithtassieguy
  • Thanks. Well now I know I'm not psychic or going crazy. At least not as much as I thought. You seem to be engaged in an adventure with this one. No color checking so you have to trust your imagination. That in itself could drive you crazy. 
  • @Hilary, yes, the Virus is a real pain, I've done little painting,  I blame the new Hubby. The very best thing was that my Daughter came home from Canada, she had 4 flights cancelled I couldn't breathe properly till she was here, but then she couldn't visit !! But she would walk the dogs around to our Garden. You met her, I think ?  We will go to the National Gallery yet 😄 @geoffrey_38  I have never, ever taken the easy route...ever, my Husband said recently" I don't want you up on the roof any more, it's not safe " ....I'm having a large , cold Bacardi and Coke  😆.  @PaulB. Thanks for the advice 😊
  • Looks to be coming along nicely.
    marieb
  • Congratulations @marieb
    I’m so thrilled you have found happiness again. And yes , of course I remember your daughter. One of the most beautiful girls I’ve ever seen. That’s not flattery , it’s just the truth. 
    Remember our discussion about tattoos 😊
    looking forward to seeing how your painting is progressing. It looks like you’ve made a good start but a lot more challenging than I’d ever attempt. 
    Stay safe and well and maybe when things get back to some kind of normality , you’ll pay me another visit. 🤗

marieb
  • marieb said:
    Ok, I haven't painted oils in over a year, and am going to start this one soon. Where I have previously painted, mostly still life, I followed Marks advice ans put some background around the object; However, this one has so much darks. Should I paint from left to right, I am right handed, helping a wet edge at all times ?  Any advice appreciated...especially @dencal @Forgiveness @PaulB  missed you all 😎
    How to start....I would think about how to paint nine tenths of this image with just three colors.
    marieb
  • BOB73 said:
    Thanks. Well now I know I'm not psychic or going crazy. At least not as much as I thought. You seem to be engaged in an adventure with this one. No color checking so you have to trust your imagination. That in itself could drive you crazy. ....you're not far wrong Bob....it helps that I'm well on that road anyway ! I sent the photos to a train driver that I know. The photos are of an old steam train, that does a run every year for old time sake. He said that there would be no yellow orange glow, that the " fire box" would be closed , so it would be more darks and Grey's from the jets of steam. Having another go at it today....oh and I'm in the process of selling my house and have to keep it immaculate for viewings...I don't make life easy for myself 😂

• This is going to be an excellent, interesting painting.  Good to see you back and have your input.