Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

portrait of me

I decided to give Geneva paints a try and I was not disappointed, really impressed bt the quality and how much coverage you get with a small amount of paint. I decided to try a self-portrait, I was going to give it the title 'Hairy Lockdown', my wife said why not call it 'hairy Scary' :- Thank God I know have had a shave and a trim, unfortunately, the face is still the same.
tassieguydencalGTOPaulBArtGalMichaelDRUESGABuckyGary_Heathdonnchadh4RoxyHilaryanweshaEliza

Comments

• edited July 22
    This is very good. I love the light coloured background with the dark shirt silhouetted against it but given form by the lettering on it. The flesh tones are good and I think you've done the hair and beard amazingly well. It has character.  :)
  • Yeah, lots of character. Terrific job. Can't say I like the background color as much as @tassieguy but it's not  bad. The facial features and hair are outstandingly good but the neck looks a little flat overall maybe needs a little more color. I see a little Kris Kristofferson/Kenny Rogers in this visage. I hope that's not an insult (Kris was a Rhodes Scholar, studied at Oxford).
  • Great portraiture.  Really rugged looking face  :)  Agree with @tassieguy and @BOB73 about the facial features, the hair and the beard.  I had heard somewhere that any writing in a painting (such as on the T-shirt) can become the focal point.  Not in this case.  Definitely the focal point is the face.  Very nicely done.
  • This is a very cool self portrait.  You look strong and a bit rugged.  The only thing I wonder about is the value for the neck.  Is it too dark or has the photo pushed that value darker than it actually is.   I like the background because if the strong contrast with the dark shirt. You do have that Kristofferson look.  I really like his music so I mean that as a compliment.

• BOB73 said:
    Yeah, lots of character. Terrific job. Can't say I like the background color as much as @tassieguy but it's not  bad. The facial features and hair are outstandingly good but the neck looks a little flat overall maybe needs a little more color. I see a little Kris Kristofferson/Kenny Rogers in this visage. I hope that's not an insult (Kris was a Rhodes Scholar, studied at Oxford).
    Thanks, Bob, no insult took when I was younger some said I looked like Robert Redford but my older Brother said I looked more like Boris Karloff in the horror movies, :- , I would agree about the neck although this seems like an excuse it's the way the photo was, anyhow thanks it's good to get comments to make you see something your not aware of.
  • GTO said:
    This is a very cool self portrait.  You look strong and a bit rugged.  The only thing I wonder about is the value for the neck.  Is it too dark or has the photo pushed that value darker than it actually is.   I like the background because if the strong contrast with the dark shirt. You do have that Kristofferson look.  I really like his music so I mean that as a compliment.

Thanks, GTO, your spot on about the photo, I was just lucky with the background, many thanks.

• Great portraiture.  Really rugged looking face  :)  Agree with @tassieguy and @BOB73 about the facial features, the hair and the beard.  I had heard somewhere that any writing in a painting (such as on the T-shirt) can become the focal point.  Not in this case.  Definitely the focal point is the face.  Very nicely done.
    Many thanks, a time to paint, It was just pure luck with the T-shirt.
  • GTO said:
    This is a very cool self portrait.  You look strong and a bit rugged.  The only thing I wonder about is the value for the neck.  Is it too dark or has the photo pushed that value darker than it actually is.   I like the background because if the strong contrast with the dark shirt. You do have that Kristofferson look.  I really like his music so I mean that as a compliment.

tassieguy said:
    This is very good. I love the light coloured background with the dark shirt silhouetted against it but given form by the lettering on it. The flesh tones are good and I think you've done the hair and beard amazingly well. It has character.  :)
    Many thanks, tassieguy, yours and everybody's comments give you encouragement.
  • Really a great portrait. I don’t have the courage to try one.
    Gary_Heath
  • ChuckA said:
    Really a great portrait. I don’t have the courage to try one.
    @ChuckA Same here. 
    @cbor47 It really seems to have come off pretty well.  If I could do a portrait like that I'd be well pleased.
  • ChuckA said:
    Really a great portrait. I don’t have the courage to try one.
    Thanks very much, ChuckA, I didn't think I would do a decent self-portrait but gave it a try anyway although that said still not 100% happy with it then again are we ever, be brave and try one of your self art is about exploring practice practice practice. 
  • HilaryHilary -
    edited July 24
    I think you did an excellent job ... I particularly like the way you’ve painted the hair. @cbor47
    You’re a handsome man , so that’s a bonus when painting a self portrait.  😊
  • Hilary said:
    I think you did an excellent job ... I particularly like the way you’ve painted the hair. @cbor47
    You’re a handsome man , so that’s a bonus when painting a self portrait.  😊
    Thanks Hilary, but I'll tell the jokes about being handsome :-, when I look at the actual painting in the flesh so to speak I can see the hair and beard a lot better than seen in the photo, there lies a problem in taking photos of your art, many thanks for your comments, I'm beginning to feel like an artist with the comments on this painting but will we ever be happy ?.
  • I've never done a self portrait but I can assure you if I do it won't look like me. If I looked like you, it would look like me. 
  • Bob , I’m challenging you to do a self portrait.  I bet it’d be a thing of extraordinary beauty. 
    Give it a go ...... please! 
    I don’t think I’ve ever seen one of your paintings and I’d love to. 
    MichaelD
  • BOB73 said:
    I've never done a self portrait but I can assure you if I do it won't look like me. If I looked like you, it would look like me. 
    Mirror mirror on the wall.

• I'll paint Agatha Christi instead. She wrote The Mirror Crack'd.
  • Ah , that’s chickening out @BOB73 😊

BOB73